So i had been wanting to build an Umbrella Corp AR for a while now but never seemed to get on line fast enough to get the Upper and lower. well recently i had acquired 2 HUUCWR upper and lower sets and will be building the first of the two this month. The plan is to build a Close quarters medium range shooter. Something that would be an "every day shooter" and the second will be a longer range 300+ shooter.

I thought it might be fun to have the forum members here chime in and make some recommendations on the components i might consider using for the builds...

For the first rifle i'm currently considering the following parts:

Lower

• LPK/FCG: Spikes Enhanced LMP w/ Gisselle Trigger
  • Umbrella Corp Grip 23
  • Magpul Fixed Stock
  • Magpul BAD

Upper:

• Spikes 16" Mid-length CHF barrel (chrome lined)
  • Spikes Charging handle w/Battle Latch
  • Spikes Nickel Boron BCG
  • Spikes 10" BAR Free Float Rail
  • Troy low pro gas block
  • Spikes melonite (sp) Gas tube
  • Spikes Dynacomp break
  • DD 45BUS
  • some sort of HOLO sight or red dot sight

Free free to pick apart my shopping list but be sure to tell me why you disagree with my choice and make a recommendation.

One thing i am up in the air about is the barrel. I like the spikes barrel but i have been told that the Noveske barrels are much nicer... thoughts? Also i have been told that there is a Yankee Hill break that is more aggressive looking, i cant remember what one it is, but i remember saying i would consider it.

Anyway, feel free to chime in with suggestions or recommendations. 

zap

I would shoot that gun... Sounds good to me... I would do 14.5 pinned... But only because I like the gun to be as short as possible... But nothing wrong with 16...

Just to add I've shot my 14 in gun to 300 with just a 3x magnifier....

I 2nd the 14.5 pin and weld

The only reason i was thinking about going with the 16" is the overall look of the rifle. The larger Dynacomp looks a little out of place on the 14.5. that is really the ONLY reason i was gonna go that way. 

What about Barrel choice? do any of you see a reason to go with a Noveske vs the Spikes?

The only reason i was thinking about going with the 16" is the overall look of the rifle. The larger Dynacomp looks a little out of place on the 14.5. that is really the ONLY reason i was gonna go that way. 

What about Barrel choice? do any of you see a reason to go with a Noveske vs the Spikes?

I have a spikes 14 in with pinned spikes brake and love it...

I have the Griffin M4SD II on my 16in barrel and the Yankee Hill on my 14.5 upper. I don't like the YH as the muzzle blast if so much louder than the Griffin. The Griffin break will bring your 14.5 upper to the legal length. I would guess the Spikes Dyna comp would also but I am not sure the Griffin I know will as I just measured it.

Good Luck with your build. I have built a few rifles and I recently just bought a vice and having the vice is so much nicer. I put a Geissele trigger in the other day and what took me 15 or so mins. took me less than 5mins using the vice. I am so stupid for waiting that long to buy the vice. The old saying is so correct the right tools for the job make the job much easier. or something like that!!

Also I never wanted to spend the money on the expensive trigger, but now that I have it, it is a must for all AR's I build!! I have learned not to cheap out on the trigger, barrel and optics!

Once you go Geissele you will not go back!! Good LUCK!!

I have a spikes 14 in with pinned spikes brake and love it...

I think i have the same upper as you on my current spikes.

151229892.jpg

I love the way it shoots I just think it looks a little off with the dynacomp being so long on the tip of the rifle. again... just a purely ascetics with regard to the brake and barrel length on my part....  kind of like a woman... No matter how HOT she is.. there is still a huge mole on the tip of her nose.

Sounds like a really nice build.  The Spikes upper is definitely nice... That is what I have on mine (very similar upper setup as the one you described) with a 14.5" barrel and it runs like a champ.  I'd second the above comments on going with the 14.5" instead fo the 16".  I just recently changed out the vertical grip to an AFG2 which I like much better.  Here's an older pic:

TonyST-AR1.jpg

I think i have the same upper as you on my current spikes.

151229892.jpg

I love the way it shoots I just think it looks a little off with the dynacomp being so long on the tip of the rifle. again... just a purely ascetics with regard to the brake and barrel length on my part....  kind of like a woman... No matter how HOT she is.. there is still a huge mole on the tip of her nose.

I'd still do her ; )

Btw NJdiverTony, what grip is that? My zoom can't quite make it out.

SCRATCH THAT. NOT IN STOCK.

I'd still do her ; )

Btw NJdiverTony, what grip is that? My zoom can't quite make it out.

SCRATCH THAT. NOT IN STOCK.

The pistol grip is a Magpul MOE and the vertical grip is a Magpul RVG.  I just recently changed out the vertical grip to a Magpul AFG2 and like that MUCH better. 

so wait... if you have a 16in gun now.. what are you trying to accomplish that you are not already accomplishing? JUST curious.. 

just want to build a more "customized" rifle built for me from the ground up.  The Spikes i have now is great but after shooting her for a few months I feel i should have just built one the way i want it.  as of right now I want to change the hand guards and remove the FSP If i have to do that I would basically be building a new upper... and lets not forget the hassle of cutting off the dynacomp on there now.  So i figure why shell out the money to just build an upper... just build what i want the right way. Plus the Dynacomp size bugs me on my spikes.. IMO it looks a off... like a chick hot chick with a huge nose. if i go with the 16" mid-length the shorty Dynacomp will only add an inch or so to the OAL of the rifle but it will look a little more "balanced" IMO. again, just my personal preference...  on top of that I wanted to build a "boutique rifle" that i'll use every week (wife willing), something that will have a "thats cool" factor when i use her.  that's why i went with the Umbrella Uppers and lowers.... something that should hold a little more value vs the standard everyday rifles out there.

I guess to sum it all up... I want to build a rifle customized the way i want it. 

How is the Umbrella Corp lower? Is it worth the extra cash over, say a regular Aero Precision one? I'm most curious about the magwell and how flared it is.

You know overall they are forged/milled lowers just like everyone else. I really didn't pay too much attention to the Mag wells, I'll have to look them over tomorrow (the wife will most likely kill me if I go dipping in to the safe tonight) and compare them to my Spikes. I'll let ya know.

for "blemmed" uppers and lowers, I have to say that i can't find where they are dinged or damaged. They are pretty much perfect in looks.

If you don't like that 16" let us know...lol

after talking with a friend I'll most likely end up going with the 14.5" again with the larger Dynacomp and use the 16" on  another build i'm doing.

After talking with a buddy down in Alabama I think i may build a 300BLK with the 2nd Receiver set i got....... the wife will go ballistic if she finds out! lol. I'm gonna order the barrel later tonight.