tony357

JESSE JAMES FIREARMS..

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2013/10/30/jesse-james-pulls-trigger-on-new.html?page=all

Jesse James, once a tabloid mainstay when he was married to actress Sandra Bullock, is parlaying his outlaw name and bad boy persona into a new business endeavor:Jesse James Firearms Unlimited.

The company, which is located on his family’s 17-acre compound near Dripping Springs, initially will produce a 1911 pistol and AR-15 rifle.

"They’re standard tried-and-true guns but they’ll be designed with my flair," James said in an exclusive interview with the Austin Business Journal.

The guns won’t be available for purchase until January, but some of the finished products will be unveiled at a splashy party James is hosting at the Rattle Inn Nov. 16. The special event is scheduled for the weekend of the U.S. Grand Prix Formula 1 race, and James hopes some of the surrounding media coverage will gravitate his way.

"So many people will be in town and that will be good, but mostly it’s about celebrating with my family and friends and colleagues," James said.

Family these days includes drag racerAlexis DeJoria, whom he married this spring, and DeJoria’s father, John Paul DeJoria, the billionaire founder of John Paul Mitchell Systems, the hair product conglomerate, and Patron tequila. Besides the DeJoria clan, James is hoping his good friend, Texas Gov. Rick Perry, can make it along with other Texas legislators and gun proponents.

"I haven’t really launched a business this way before, so we’ll see," he said.

James, 44, knows something about running a business. He created West Coast Choppers in his mother’s garage in Long Beach as a teenager. That custom motorcycle business took off, thanks to James’ technical skills and creativity. Pretty soon, he was employing hundreds of workers and drawing international crowds to his Southern California shop. The business raked in millions, bolstered by his role on “Monster Garage,” a TV series on the Discovery Channel and shrewd marketing.

James’ reputation skyrocketed after he married Hollywood starlet Sandra Bullock. The two frequently spent time in Austin, where Bullock had bought a home to escape the Los Angeles celebrity scene. Then came the great falling out. James was outed by the tabloid media for cheating on Bullock and the five-year marriage ended in a very sour and very public divorce.

But by then, James had fallen in love with Austin and decided to stay.

He closed down West Coast Choppers in California and re-established it as his personal brand based in Austin, handling a small number of custom orders. He invested in the Austin Speed Shop, a custom automobile garage in South Austin, and began thinking about a new business involving guns.

"I always had an interest in guns, but they were so heavily regulated in California. Then, I had this epiphany a couple of years ago that I could totally build a gun just like I built bikes," James said.

When James went to a firearms trade show in Las Vegas “as reconnaissance, I had 300 people come up to me and ask me when I was going to come out with custom guns.”

It’s taken about a year to weave through all the regulatory processes with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, a division of the U.S. Department of Justice.

"They actually assign you an ATF rep to help you navigate all the paperwork and everything. I couldn’t have done it without them," James said. "I had to do the same thing when I started building vehicles, and I can tell you the ATF is a lot easier to deal with than the Department of Transportation."

James also has forged vendor and manufacturing agreements with STI International in Georgetown and Commercial Metals Co. in Houston.

As for those who think James has had easy access to cash for his latest endeavor, think again.

"I financed it 100 percent by myself. I’ve put every dime I have into it," James said. "It’s not like I’m eating tuna and bologna sandwiches, but still."

The exact amount of the investment, he won’t disclose, however.

"I don’t really know how much I’ve spent and I’m not sure I want to know," James said.

On the other hand, he said, it’s a labor of love.

"Whenever I’ve done something because my motivation was money, it never works out. I’m doing this because I have a passion for it — making one gun at a time, one bike at a time," James said.

Nick Simonite/ABJ

I suspect this will end poorly since he will be relying on the expertise of others. Hope he didn't really put all his $$$ into it. I also hope he knows to surround himself with people that do know the business.

I suspect this will end poorly since he will be relying on the expertise of others. Hope he didn't really put all his $$$ into it. I also hope he knows to surround himself with people that do know the business.

Actually, from all accounts, he knows his way around guns.  Plus, if you've ever seen the man weld you would not question his ability to make things.  He's a brilliant mechanic.  Guns, as opposed to internal combustion engines, are fairly simple.  I think he'll be fine. 

Honestly, I want one.  I'm a fan of his vision.  His bike were and always have been some of my favorites.  Great lines.  He also knows paint and design in his own way.  So again, I think he'll be fine. 

C

I don't know much about the man except his ability to land in the tabloids. I was thinking along the line of Paul Jr and Sr on OC Choppers. In my opinion they are hacks. I hope he can make something interesting.

Cars, bikes, women - nope, his first and only love is money. Interesting story, but not surprising; I suspect this venture will do well because he's a smart businessman, he has lots of investment capital, ARs are an explosive growth industry, and America is obsessed by anything if it's pushed by a celebrity... Carlos' Bakery, anyone?

To each his own, but I don't see what he can offer that the dozens of manufacturers in the industry don't already have... i don't know, maybe a Jesse James 1911 with airbrushed flames?

He has all the right ingredients. His understanding of mechanical applications, metalurgy, welding and machining will all play favorably to the ability to build a 1911. Although our interests seem to run quite parralel, I started to swear JJ is spying on me! After I went to blacksmithing school last year it wasnt to much longer before his show Jessie James, blacksmith aired LOL. :dance: Now that he wants to build 1911's Im sure of it :sarcastichand:

I hope this venture of his isn't going to be another cable television show that produces impractical firearms with his name on them.

20121104-093039.jpg

I just threw up in my mouth.... That thing is hideous.

ETA: Oh, and I have no interest in a JJ designed gun, especially after seeing what he wanted done to a BAR on SoG.

Edited by High Exposure