JSF01

First Black Powder Firearm

Much to my surprise I happened to stumble across a replica Colt Paterson for sale, while I was at a gun show. Now I decided a while ago that I had wanted one because I think they are cool little revolvers, But had given up expecting to physically run across one since it seems no one is currently producing them. While Pietta has it on their website only one of their dealers lists it at about $500. The guy selling this one said it was a 1980's made replica that has never been fired and he had it for sale for $375. I offered $350 and he said I'll make a deal with you call a coin flip and you can take it for $350. I called heads and it was mine for $350. Stayed and talked a bit, and he ended up giving me a leather holster that fit it for free.

It's stamped Replica Arms Inc Marietta Ohio Made in Italy, and when I got home I researched the company since I figured Replica Arms was just an importer. I figured out which stamp indicated the year and it turns out it is not 1980's made but was made in 1967. From what I under stand Replica Arms Imported firearms made by both Pietta and Uberti, but the one that I just bought does no have any other markings except for the usual Italian proofs for black powder firearms, so I don't have a clue which company made mine.

So Now I just need some caps, powder, and ball.

pqji.jpg

3wfz.jpg

Congrats!  Great looking piece!  Now you'll also want to buy or build a loading stand for this and other revolvers (yes you'll wind-up owning more, lol).  In addition, you'll need a special loading stand for this revolver since it doesn't come with a loading lever like the rest of the BP revolvers do.  It holds just the cylinder, so you can load powder, wads and balls, and THEN re-build the revolver, put the wedge back in and THEN cap it and fire!

Dave

Pictures of the alignment when the cylinder is rotated "into battery" would be a big help here.  Especially a close-up looking into the muzzle and the tops of the chambers.

Since I don't know what part of the World you're from (NJ?, PA?, etc.), I don't know if recommending a trip to Dixon Muzzle Loading Shop in Kempton, PA will work for you.  Gregg Dixon is VERY knowledgeable when it comes to these things and will give you a professional opinion as soon as you put it in his hands!  While you're there, you can buy anything you need to make this work without having to worry about hazmat fees for shipping powder and caps, minimum quantities, etc.  In addition, you can ask to see any other revolver that he has in stock, so you can plan your next purchase!

Dave

Several barrel lengths were manufactured by different makers.  Your fine example appears to have one of the longer "target" barrels.  Almost to pretty to shoot, lol!

Is there such a thing as too pretty to shoot?  :)

Anyhow, congrats...and let all of us know how it goes....I'm sure there are more here than me who have been tempted by a black powder revolver, but haven't yet pulled the trigger...   ;)

I'd recommend before you buy a black powder revolver you come to a match at old bridge on the first Sunday of the month. We'll let you shoot all the differnt types and you can see what you like. As revolvers go, I love Remington's. They fit my hands better.(but I still have colts). Some love the colts better. I love single shot pistols the best like my .54 plains pistol. We all shoot differnt pistols and pretty much all of us would let you take a couple shots

I'd recommend before you buy a black powder revolver you come to a match at old bridge on the first Sunday of the month. We'll let you shoot all the differnt types and you can see what you like. As revolvers go, I love Remington's. They fit my hands better.(but I still have colts). Some love the colts better. I love single shot pistols the best like my .54 plains pistol. We all shoot differnt pistols and pretty much all of us would let you take a couple shots

To All:

Rob makes an excellent point here.  And don't let the cold weather fool you into thinking that muzzle loading is only a "fair weather" game.  Our league is growing and we have a depth of knowledge that's hard to beat!  We shoot all year, so if anyone wants to learn by doing, it's worth the trip from almost anywhere to get to Old Bridge.  Just let us know you're coming so we can plan to have equipment to lend to you for the Match.

And everyone have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!

Dave

Well I tried to get some pictures down the barrel but my camera was not cooperating, It's on its last leg. I managed to get these two shots but they aren't very helpful

uct7.jpg

ggsk.jpg

That Dixon Muzzle Loading Shop sounds exactly like the place to go to, unfortunately for me I am currently stationed in VA

Since you're in Virginia, you might want to check-out Taylor's and Co., Inc. in Winchester, VA.  They import Pietta and Uberti black powder revolvers and may have a lead on who to see in your area.  There's even a Dealer locator on their web site.

Thanks for your service and If I can be of any additional help, please let me know.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Dave