Njbanshee

Sig mosquito

So I I took the gun to the range the other day, and I couldn't believe how hard I hard to squeeze the trigger. It's hard to stay on target when you squeeze so hard. I'm very disappointed in this gun. I expected much more from sig. Anyone else have this issue?

The Sig Mosquito has bad written all over it. 3 of my buddies had them, usually getting them to get their wives into shooting, and they all had issues with theirs.

Sorry to hear about it. Clean and oil her and see if it's better? I haven't heard of THAT hard of a trigger pull. If it's still annoying, possibly polish trigger internals?

I dunno what else you can do..

I googled the issue. Seems I'm non alone. I'm gonna contact sig Monday and see what they will do. They say you can polish the trigger a bit.

If you pm me your email I can send you a pdf with step by step and pics for work on your trigger

Sorry to hear of your dislikes about the trigger but don't give up on it yet. I love mine. Took at least 4-500 rounds to break in but turned out to be my favorite 22 semi. Remember 2 things. Keep it clean & lubricated and feed it CCI Mini Mags always.   John

My fiancé has one. It likes CCI Mini-mags and also the CCI AR tactical bulk. The trigger is a bit heavy but I make her practice with snap caps in front of the TV. We have about 150 rounds or so through hers.. Not giving up on it yet. But we definitely need to stock up on more mini mags

I bought one yrs ago without reading reviews first. Had issues every outing with it when I wasnt using mini mags or factory magazines. I generally dont sell handguns I have bought but I sold mine to buy a Ruger 22/45. No issues with this one so far.

i read enough poor reviews on the mosquito prior to buying my dedicated 22 pistol..  sounds like i made the right choice, ended up going with a S&W M&P22..  I think i've put about 700+ rounds through thus far with no real issues..  been using a combo of mini mags, fiocchi 22 and fed HP ammo..  each brand has worked great thus far.  slightly larger than the mosquito, but same basic size as their standard M&P centerfire counterparts. 

it is a shame this pistol has not had the quirks worked out of it yet, great looking dedicated 22. for now anyone looking for this style pistol in a dedicated 22 should consider the M&P instead..

I have a Ruger sr22 that has done me well. Had reliability issue with some really garbage bulk ammo. Ammo was so bad I had to literally give it away. Not a hiccup since.

Eta. I see you guys are talking about more full sized pistols

Mosquito has a really terrible heavy DA trigger pull IMO, but perhaps I've been spoiled by my P226 and SP2022 and other DA pistols I've shot.  SA feels just fine.  I just pulled mine out and pulled the trigger a few times in both DA and SA with snap caps.  Considering how rarely I shoot in DA, it doesn't really bother me.  Properly broken in, a Mosquito should handle all high velocity  (~1200+fps) rounds just fine, including Golden Bullets and Federal Bulk.  I occasionally also run some Stingers or Agiula 1700fps rounds through the gun, and it likes them too...  Only stuff that it didn't cycle is the subsonic stuff I wouldn't expect any semi to cycle.  Muzzle flash from the Mosquito with Stingers is pretty impressive for a .22LR...

The gun does like to be kept lubed up, and gets gritty (as all my .22s do with the bulk ammo I often run, but that's really the ammo's fault).  Early versions had some issues, and they gave the mosquito a bad name, but a lot of people also do not break the gun in properly using Mini Mags.  It's not a bad gun, but also not a great gun.  I got it more as a gun for teaching females, but I have fun with it, too.  There are cheaper .22s, but I am still pleased with the purchase.  I'm not sure I'd do it again; I might save up twice the cost (or more) for the P220/P226/P229 Classic .22 models and mods to make them into worthwhile .22s.  The ability to get a second (or third, or even fourth) caliber on one permit is worth the extra cost.

When I went to buy my girl a Mosquito a few years back, I ended up deciding against it because of all the terrible reviews. Instead, I bought myself a new 9mm, and dropped a conversion kit into my P226 to make it .22LR. A lot more reliable, and I can change it back to 9mm anytime I want. Only problem I have with it is when you empty the mag, the slide doesn't lock to the rear. You can get special mags to cause the slide to catch, but then they don't fall free on their own when you hit the mag release. I was also going to be using the pistol for training purposes, specifically emergency reloads, and with this set up, you can't.

I have a m&p22 and that thing is so picky with ammo. 

really?  I havent noticed that.. 

then again, im shooting either MM's, Fiocchi or Fed HP through it, and have only had 1 or 2 misfires in probably 800+ rounds

which ammo are you using?

When I went to buy my girl a Mosquito a few years back, I ended up deciding against it because of all the terrible reviews. Instead, I bought myself a new 9mm, and dropped a conversion kit into my P226 to make it .22LR. A lot more reliable, and I can change it back to 9mm anytime I want. Only problem I have with it is when you empty the mag, the slide doesn't lock to the rear. You can get special mags to cause the slide to catch, but then they don't fall free on their own when you hit the mag release. I was also going to be using the pistol for training purposes, specifically emergency reloads, and with this set up, you can't.

PM sent with link to solve the problem.  Cheap and easy.

My son and I have shot hundreds and hundreds of rounds through mine.  I think we might have had 1 or 2 FTE in the first hundred or so, but effortless since then, and I think we've only cleaned it maybe once, possibly not at all.  I only use CCI AR-Tactical 22 in any of my 22LR guns, and it's worked great in our Mosquito.

-Dave

It's a nice looking gun, but results are mixed when not suppressed. If you are not going to suppress, get something else or roll the dice and keep your fingers crossed. Never heard of bad trigger pull. I got a few hundred rounds on one and I'm sure I ran across another in my travels.

What is the difference between a Blond and a Mosquito?

Just an FYI for everyone.  There are certain things you need to do with your Mosquito.

Check your feed ramp.  Is it a smooth transition into the barrel?  Some have a lip.

Are you using the stock spring?  There is another spring that came with it...  It's in a baggie, under the foam, where the lock is...

Do you have an oil hole in the right side of the slide, 3-4 hash marks in front of the safety?  If you do, you're all set.  If not, you've got an old model.

1.  Clean it with a toothbrush.  Get ALL the factory goo off EVERYTHING!  It makes a difference.

2.  Use a GOOD lube.  I use TW25B, and I run it wet.

3.  Be prepared to just blast a brick down the tube.  Not pew, pew, pew...  Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-bang!  Sig manufactures these tight, it takes a large round count to loosen them up.  Was almost 1k before mine loosened up.  Expect failures, don't get mad, keep blasting away.

The way I see it...  Yes they could have made it loose and work great from round number one...  Or, they could make it tight and it'll last that much longer.  Right, wrong, indifferent?  That's how I view it.  It's pot metal.  Are the other brands pot metal?  Couldn't tell you.

Favorite ammo:

Rem GB's  (absolute favorite)

Thunderbolts (they're a bit dirty, but work well)

CCI MM

CCI Stinger (low because of cost)

Aguila Hyper

DNL (Does Not Like:)

Super-X in the (red CCI MM clone) 100 round box(?)  Worst by FAR!

Win 555.  Lots of FTE even with high round count..  Might be because it is unplated?

If you can get through the initial break-in, it'll probably become one of your favorites.  That being said, I hear all these negative comments, and I'm thinking I'm going to find a steal on a second one!  LOL  Hasn't happened yet.  I've been looking...

It's a little hard to come by .22 ammo, but if you can bring half a dozen brands of ammo to the range with you, you'll find what your skeeter likes and doesn't like.  Just some thoughts...

I guess I've been lucky with my skeeter. I've ran Stingers, MiniMags, AR Tactical, Federal bulk and even Blazer bulk and maybe have 1000+ rounds through it and only had few FTE's with the Blazer Bulk. Love that gun. Used it in a few of .22 matches with AR Tacticals with 0 issues. Break it in with the proper ammo, keep it well lubed and you should be fine.

ETA - The only real "problem" I've had with it was some wear off the finish on the front left portion of the slide. Purely cosmetic and doesn't affect function at all. My guns are not safe queens so I actually don't mind the wear, gives the gun character.