I am about to retire from law enforcement in the next year and was looking into becoming a gunsmith as a part time retirement job. How are these online courses from Ashford rate? How would you go about being a apprentice to a gunsmith? Can you get a ffl license to work out of your home in NJ or do you need to work for a store? I am very familiar with different types of firearms and am not looking to get rich doing it. Just a passion to keep me busy. Any advice would be very appreciated. Thanks..Bob 

I was looking into gunsmithhing as a little side job and did some research.  I will share what I found.

The online schools give you thhe same certification and people rarely ask where someone went to gunsmithhing school.  I have read reviews from people who did attend the schools and they were mostly favorable. 

You need to speak to gunsmiths and find one who is willing to take on an appentice - I could not find any willing to help me within a 90 minute radius of Cape May; I didn;t expand my search farther.  There are more options in your neck of the woods so perhaps you will have better luck. 

You can get an FFL to wok out of your home, many have and still do.  PK90 started his business in a spare room, Jersey Small Arms Gunsmith runs out of his home.  Just a couple examples. 

If you are retiring another option is to actually go to a gunsmithing school.  I hope to retire by the end of the week and go to gunsmithing school (gotta win the lottery first).

Good luck. 

Volunteer to work for a machinist for free as an intern. Learning how to properly use a lathe and milling machine are necessary skills for a true gunsmith.

This is definitely the way to go, you will need to learn how to use the basic measuring tools, verniers, calipers, micrometers, gauges, indicators etc. and also as Brian stated lathes and milling machines, also probably precision grinders.  You will probably have to learn some tig & mig welding and brazing as well. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• olight.jpg

Use Promo Code "NJGF10" for 10% Off Regular Items

• Supporting Vendors

• Latest Topics

• Similar Content

• By Sig
      Hello everyone, brand new to the board so let me know if I'm in the right subforum or if I can have this better answered elsewhere. pagunforums.com anyone? lol
      Can anyone recommend an FFL in Pennsylvania that will pin weld breaks, pin stocks, and also accept transfers. I live in North Jersey so anything in North PA with low FFL and gunsmithing fees are preferable. I am running into problems with a shop refusing to send complete AR 15s to NJ FFLs. Any help is appreciated.
    • By son of sam
      I have machined a few of my handgun slides to accept a micro red dot. Currently there is a decent business available for machinists with the equipment to do the job properly. My question is. Can I accept slide only (no frame or receiver or other serialized parts) into my shop to CNC mill the slide for rmr? Or does this constitute being in the "gun business"?  I have sent an e-mail to the ATF with this very same question but, I dont know when I will hear back from them. As far as I can read from any of the ATF frequently asked Q&A I can do such business. I could also for example make parts such as charging handles, handguards etc.. However, I dont want to be on the wrong side of the laws. I will not take any answer as an offer of legal advice. Merely asking the question to know if I should proceed with paying someone for a official interpretation of the law.
    • By Gunnz
      Anyone on the forums a certified Smith and Wesson armorer?

I am selling my M&P40c, which has an APEX FSS trigger, and want to take out it and put back in the stock trigger.
      Matt from Shore shot installed it, he was a certified armor, but has since moved away from NJ..

I am decent enough to mess with my glocks, but don't feel comfortable enough to mess with the M&P.

Thanks for looking.
    • By Blank
      Some of you may already, but Howell Gun Works is a great shop. Omri and Tom break all the stereo types of the typical gun shop personnel. They are nice guys with vast amounts of knowledge and skill...They also have a nice selection and can pretty much get whatever you want...Definitly worth going there first...

Plus $45 dollar FFL transfer NICS included...

Joe Savio

G S T

Lead Instructor
      [email protected]

• By bushmaster
      Check out www.cheyennefirearms.com in Manville NJ
    • In 50 years of living in NJ I've never experienced any attempt to inspect the interior of the home, and only one definite inspection of the exterior for an announced reassessment of all properties and that was a drive by. About 9 years of that was living in an apartment, but still, uncommon. Every place I lived had either a finished attic, basement, or both. But they were also included in the habitable square footage on the taxes when we got there. 
    • 27.00 and change in tolls to drive down the shore from Rutherford,  47.00 in tolls to go out to Long island to visit dying relatives. Now I read they are going to raise the fees in the DMV. Murphy lied just to get elected when he said that seniors will get a significant tax break with his StayNJ" program to stop us from leaving.   Keep voting for democrats...this is what you get.  Tax and spend is all they know.  Never cut anything.  This state sucks.
    • I get the added benefit that since I have a TSP rather than a true 401(k) they tax my retirement too. Yaaaay!
    • PX4 Full Size 9mm Type G. Upgrades include: - Type G Stealth/Low Pro Levers and Slide Release - Truglo Tritium Pro Sights, White Outline Front Sight - Beretta Competition Trigger Group - LTT Optimized Trigger Bar - PX4 D Spring All parts professionally installed by gunsmith. Pistol has 400rds through it. All original parts (trigger group, trigger bar, Type F levers, sights) are included in sale. Original Beretta case and all contents included in sale. 3-10rd mags (these are the original mags that came with it). Pistol is in Excellent condition, there are a couple minor smudges on the lower part of the slide near the frame which I guess is from the sight vise. If I didn't point them out you wouldn't even notice. Trigger is super sweet, especially the SA Reset. Between the gun, parts, and gunsmith labor I have about $1200 into it. $800 Sale is Cash Only.   I'm in Whippany near Morristown. I will travel within a reasonable distance to meet at your preferred FFL to do the transfer. Buyer pays transfer fees.   -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------