I am about to retire from law enforcement in the next year and was looking into becoming a gunsmith as a part time retirement job. How are these online courses from Ashford rate? How would you go about being a apprentice to a gunsmith? Can you get a ffl license to work out of your home in NJ or do you need to work for a store? I am very familiar with different types of firearms and am not looking to get rich doing it. Just a passion to keep me busy. Any advice would be very appreciated. Thanks..Bob 

I was looking into gunsmithhing as a little side job and did some research.  I will share what I found.

The online schools give you thhe same certification and people rarely ask where someone went to gunsmithhing school.  I have read reviews from people who did attend the schools and they were mostly favorable. 

You need to speak to gunsmiths and find one who is willing to take on an appentice - I could not find any willing to help me within a 90 minute radius of Cape May; I didn;t expand my search farther.  There are more options in your neck of the woods so perhaps you will have better luck. 

You can get an FFL to wok out of your home, many have and still do.  PK90 started his business in a spare room, Jersey Small Arms Gunsmith runs out of his home.  Just a couple examples. 

If you are retiring another option is to actually go to a gunsmithing school.  I hope to retire by the end of the week and go to gunsmithing school (gotta win the lottery first).

Good luck. 

Volunteer to work for a machinist for free as an intern. Learning how to properly use a lathe and milling machine are necessary skills for a true gunsmith.

This is definitely the way to go, you will need to learn how to use the basic measuring tools, verniers, calipers, micrometers, gauges, indicators etc. and also as Brian stated lathes and milling machines, also probably precision grinders.  You will probably have to learn some tig & mig welding and brazing as well.