I am about to retire from law enforcement in the next year and was looking into becoming a gunsmith as a part time retirement job. How are these online courses from Ashford rate? How would you go about being a apprentice to a gunsmith? Can you get a ffl license to work out of your home in NJ or do you need to work for a store? I am very familiar with different types of firearms and am not looking to get rich doing it. Just a passion to keep me busy. Any advice would be very appreciated. Thanks..Bob

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• olight.jpg

Use Promo Code "NJGF10" for 10% Off Regular Items

• Supporting Vendors

• Latest Topics

• Similar Content

• By Sig
      Hello everyone, brand new to the board so let me know if I'm in the right subforum or if I can have this better answered elsewhere. pagunforums.com anyone? lol
      Can anyone recommend an FFL in Pennsylvania that will pin weld breaks, pin stocks, and also accept transfers. I live in North Jersey so anything in North PA with low FFL and gunsmithing fees are preferable. I am running into problems with a shop refusing to send complete AR 15s to NJ FFLs. Any help is appreciated.
    • By son of sam
      I have machined a few of my handgun slides to accept a micro red dot. Currently there is a decent business available for machinists with the equipment to do the job properly. My question is. Can I accept slide only (no frame or receiver or other serialized parts) into my shop to CNC mill the slide for rmr? Or does this constitute being in the "gun business"?  I have sent an e-mail to the ATF with this very same question but, I dont know when I will hear back from them. As far as I can read from any of the ATF frequently asked Q&A I can do such business. I could also for example make parts such as charging handles, handguards etc.. However, I dont want to be on the wrong side of the laws. I will not take any answer as an offer of legal advice. Merely asking the question to know if I should proceed with paying someone for a official interpretation of the law.
    • By Gunnz
      Anyone on the forums a certified Smith and Wesson armorer?

I am selling my M&P40c, which has an APEX FSS trigger, and want to take out it and put back in the stock trigger.
      Matt from Shore shot installed it, he was a certified armor, but has since moved away from NJ..

I am decent enough to mess with my glocks, but don't feel comfortable enough to mess with the M&P.

Thanks for looking.
    • By Blank
      Some of you may already, but Howell Gun Works is a great shop. Omri and Tom break all the stereo types of the typical gun shop personnel. They are nice guys with vast amounts of knowledge and skill...They also have a nice selection and can pretty much get whatever you want...Definitly worth going there first...

Plus $45 dollar FFL transfer NICS included...

Joe Savio

G S T

Lead Instructor
      [email protected]

• By bushmaster
      Check out www.cheyennefirearms.com in Manville NJ
    • Agreed, but it has been sold......
    • Have you done any research into the cost and licensing requirements to run a repeater? We own some mountainous acreage in a very rural part of Virginia RIdge and Valley country that serves as vacation place and potential SHTF retreat. We get mediocre cell phone coverage (US Cellular only) and nothing else. I have thought of putting an antenna tower up the hill a ways (we own nearly to the top of the ridge. I wouldn't do it just for Ham or GMRS radio, but if I could get expanded cell coverage, and/or satellite internet (Dish or Starlink) as well, from one tower, I might go for it. ==== sorry, didn't  intend to hijack the thread ====
    • The biggest problem with this announcement is that the FBI has proven itself to be completely untrustworthy, but it is the agency charged with keeping the public informed about such developments. So, this is something that Wray and the FBI want us to believe, because they are convinced that is in their best interests that we do so. But how much objective truth is there to it? Are Biden's enviro-Nazi puppeteers planning to sabotage the internet and what is left of our petrochemical production capability and somehow false flag attribute that attack to the Chinese? Unlikely, but it's terrible and damning that I even need to seriously consider that possibility. It's a dilemma. Reminds me of an old Star Trek TV episode where Kirk short-circuits some robotic adversary by telling it, "I always lie. Listen very carefully. I am lying to you..." Personally, I'll wait until I see some corroboration of this from something that I regard as a trusted source (and those are few and far between these days) before I buy it.