Sign in to follow this  
Nikos

S3111 Prohibits sale and possession of undetectable firearms manufactured using 3D printing technology.

S3111 Prohibits sale and possession of undetectable firearms manufactured using three dimensional printing technology. 
Law and Public Safety

Introduced 12/16/2013

The title doesn't seem innocuous but with our legislators, it's best to look inside and see if there's more to the story than meets the eye. 

As we see below, it seems that they're not only targeting firearms, but magazines & receivers as well that are not produced solely via 3 dimensional printing. Being that many magazines & lowers today are non-metallic, I'm wondering if the criteria listed below may also target them creating a broader sweep than what's proposed in the title.

1. (New section) a. In addition to any other penalty imposed under current law, a person is guilty of a crime of the second degree if that person sells, attempts to sell, offers to sell, gives, assigns or otherwise transfers any firearm, firearm receiver, or magazine that is manufactured or produced using additive manufacturing or three dimensional printing technology, computer numerical control mills, or a laser cutting machine and:

(1) is not detectible by walk-through metal detectors calibrated and operated to detect firearms; or

(2) contains a component which, when subject to inspection by x-ray machines commonly used at airports, does not generate an image that accurately depicts the shape of the component.

b. A person convicted of violating this section shall be sentenced by the court to a term of imprisonment, which shall include the imposition of a minimum term during which the defendant shall be ineligible for parole. The minimum term of parole ineligibility shall be fixed at five years.

c. A person who is convicted of a crime under this section shall be ineligible for participation in any program of intensive supervision

Proposed bill: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2012/Bills/S3500/3111_I1.PDF

You highlighted the wrong part, the issue is "computer numerical control mills, or a laser cutting machine " which is everything. In reality, besides blocking what the federal law already does this is only an issue for plastic lower receivers for ARs (off the top of my head). Most of the "plastic" handguns have steel frames inside the receiver, magazines have springs made of metal, etc. 

Of course then there is the issue of not generating an image. How the hell does one know how images get generated by what?

Of course then there is the issue of not generating an image. How the hell does one know how images get generated by what?

My company has Lexmark printers that are wired into the company network. Our home office has an IT division that has Lexmark employees on premises when they have to escalate the trouble ticket. They can access the printer from Washington State. I'm sure the 3d printer companies could be forced to have the machines dump all the images to the NSA daily or weekly. Yes there are ways around it but it's a constant game of back and forth with these government entities. Each time a tech company introduces something the govt douches try to get access.

Then again to go thru the process and expense of getting a 3d printer, materials, and the skills to do all that doesn't make much sense when you can go get an illegal gun for much less then you can all the above. The ignorant powers that be don't get that point though.

My company has Lexmark printers that are wired into the company network. Our home office has an IT division that has Lexmark employees on premises when they have to escalate the trouble ticket. They can access the printer from Washington State. I'm sure the 3d printer companies could be forced to have the machines dump all the images to the NSA daily or weekly. Yes there are ways around it but it's a constant game of back and forth with these government entities. Each time a tech company introduces something the govt douches try to get access.

Then again to go thru the process and expense of getting a 3d printer, materials, and the skills to do all that doesn't make much sense when you can go get an illegal gun for much less then you can all the above. The ignorant powers that be don't get that point though.

What I meant was the image the SCANNER can generate, not the printer. The printer problem can be fixed :)

So, plastic magazines will be illegal since they will not show-up in the typical airport scan, so that means we are not going to be allowed to own then anymore? That is ridiculous. All my Saiga-12 magazines are plastic with a small piece of metal at the top. NONE of them would show-up on heir x-ray machines, so they want to make me a criminal...................... Phuck them.

But, look at 1.1 above, a plastic magazine is NOT detectable by walk-through metal detectors....

Now, some may say they are being smart and just trying to find another way to deny us guns, but we know better, they are just dumbasses that don't know any better!

Any anti-gun legislation MUST be good for the CHILDREN!

So, how are those gun-free zones working for ya?  ;)

MORONS!

I'm going to bringa few plastic & metal mags to work. I work with xray machines & metal detectors, in fact am surrounded by dozens of them. Next time I run routine maint i will send them thru . Plastic is not "invisable" but just a very light shadow image vs a dark solid metal mass/outline. Also will do a walk thru a metal detecter with a plastic mag but they can be calibrated for sensitivety to let some things go thru like light jewlery but not a knife. We've done high end events and sometimes are told to "let the bling thru" so not to be a big inconvenience. i can see springs getting thru that.

I'm a little confused... don't these still require metal bullets inside a metal casing to shoot? Does ammo not show up on an x-ray or set off a metal detector? Am I oversimplifying this?

How DARE you apply logic in this state! It's for the safety of the children!

The politicians have watched "In the Line of Fire" and know John Malkovich does an 100% accurate portrayal of what each and every gun owner wants to do.  The only thing preventing all gun owners from assassinating everyone is we keep getting caught at the metal detectors.  (And apparently Dirty Harry.)

"CURSES! FOILED AGAIN!  I'LL GET YOU NEXT TIME, METAL DETECTORS!"