mikka1

Advice on 22lr handgun for plinking & fun

Hi everyone,

Looking for your input on my potential next handgun. It's time to make my wife to finally go to the range, so I decided that most likely this one will be a 22lr handgun (wee need to start with something, LOL).

I have never really looked into rimfire handguns, so I've done my research and basically divided the whole market into the following groups (it's only my understanding though, I might be wrong):

1) Dedicated 22lr handguns that were designed specifically for this caliber in mind, usually very accurate and usually do not look like "real" handgun in its narrow sense. I would put Ruger Mark II/III here, Beretta Neos as well etc.

2) Handguns that are basically younger brothers/sisters of larger caliber handguns. Often look exactly as or at least very close to their older siblings; some of them are reportedly not ideal in terms of operation and less accurate than the ones from group 1. I would put Sig Mosquito, Walther P22 / PPKS and some others into this category.

3) Conversion kits like Kadet for CZ and other ones for Glock. I don't really consider those at this point as they seem to cost almost the same amount as the dedicated handgun which I essentially want. Maybe later.

My aesthetic preference so far goes towards group #2. I'd really like to have a 22lr handgun that would look ... mm.. like a handgun :-) Therefore my shortlist now consists of two models basically - Sig Mosquito and Walther PPK/S.

And here comes the question - when you try to google both, I'd say most (or at least many) of the reports are outright negative. Walther is criticized for some cheap alloys used in PPKs built lately, Mosquito - for its reliability etc.

What would be your advice? Any other reliable 22lr handgun that would not look too futuristic like Neos? :-) Am I missing something completely?

I also remember someone mentioning SIG P226 Classic 22 lately being some dedicated 22 gun with a possibility to add other kits and make it 9mm or .40. As fas as I am heavily leaning towards P226 as my second next purchase this is particularly interesting, but I was unable to find anything close to what has been mentioned. Any details would be much appreciated

Thanks

I had the same situation. I got a Ruger SR 22, fits my wife's hand perfectly and her bang and recoil tolerance. It is striker fire so there is nothing to mess with (safety, hammer) and most importantly it functions the same as our home defense weapons, Glock 22 and FNS 9 so should she ever need to use one it will be the same as she is used to. She liked it so much that she asked for (and got of course) a Bearcat for Christmas. Now she asks me when we're going to the range.

Smith & Wesson M&P 22, Ruger SR22, Sig/GSG1911-22. The S&W and 1911-22 are full size guns that look like their larger caliber counterparts. The Ruger is a little smaller. I had a S&W and currently have the Sig 1911-22, no real complaints about either. They are relatively reliable and accurate enough for plinking or shooting steel.

There are sooooo many good options but you need to answer a few questions. Does your wife have small hands? Large hands? Big questions, how much you looking to spend? Can go from $300 - $3000. Semi- auto, revolver, single shot? New or Used?

I'd say she prefers gloves of size L :-) It's still not XL. She seems to be quite comfortable holding Glock 19 without backstraps.

I'm looking to spend definitely NOT more than 500 out of the door (so subtract nics, transfer fee/taxes) and we get around 400-450 tops for the price of the handgun.

I don't feel like I'm ready for a wheelie, so let it be semi auto.

New would be preferred.

SR22 looks good, btw, and the price does not scare me - it seems to be frequently available for around $300.

I like how SIG 1911-22 looks, but I'm afraid it will be a little bit on a larger side for my wife.

Can someone say something about PPK/S in 22 (better something bad, LOL)? :-) This piece looks so great (at least in my view) with James Bond music starting to play in your head when you see it, so I seriously need some very strong reason to forget about it and not even consider as an option...

I have one of the new PPK/S 22s and really can't say anything bad about it. Yes it is a zinc alloy but the weight is about the same as a steel one. Its reliable and accurate as a Walther should be. It doesn't seem sensitive to at least the 7 or 8 types of ammo I've used. The rear sight is drift adjustable with an allen screw and it comes with 3 different height front sights. The only down side was that spare magazines were impossible to find but are readily available now. Depending on where you go they are available for around $400, sometimes less.

Sorry to disappoint you.

I own a Mosquito, and I too have had no issues.  The majority of the issues you will read about the Mosquito are from the early runs, or people who don't bother to break the gun in properly or run it 'dry.'  The mosquito should be run on a diet of CCI MiniMags (or perhaps CCI AR Tactical, which I think are pretty much bulk Mini Mags with a different name) for the first couple hundred rounds.  It also likes to be run wet.  CCI Stingers are a fun round in the gun, the muzzle blast is impressive, and it actually has a tiny bit of recoil, making it almost feel like a real gun.

I also have a category 1 S&W 22A, with target grips, and it is a fun pistol as well.  It dislikes hypervelocity ammo, but eats all bulk ammo I've fed it (including Golden Bullets)...pretty much anything under 1300fps I have tried, the 22A likes.  Nice thing about the 22A is it is relatively easy to find different barrels, so you can have anything from a 4" through 7" barrel.

I don't regret buying either gun.  However, if I were to start over knowing what I do now, I'd probably go Sig P226/P220/P229 Classic .22 for an extra $200, as it is a "real' P22x, not a tiny wannabe P226, and I could always add other calibers in the future.  I would re-buy the S&W 22A.  I do plan to add a Browning Buckmark in the future. 

If the gun will be used by your wife, I'd suggest letting her handle a few models, as you never know what will feel good to her compared to what you like...

Thanks everyone,

Seems my shortlist so far looks like:

Ruger SR22 (main candidate)

S&W MP22

Walther PPK/S in 22

Sig P226 Classic 22

I'll definitely need to handle those (and ideally let my wife handle them as well) to make a final choice by the time I get my next permit :-)

Might have a chance this weekend - there is an absolutely EXCELLENT range (no insult to NJ&PA ranges by any means) near Charlotte, NC, that has "rent by caliber" policy (at least they used to have it 6 months ago). The idea is that you pay $10-20 (not remember exactly) for a specific caliber and can try as many handguns of this caliber as you want as long as you buy ammo from them :-) As far as I am in Charlotte this weekend, I might go there to give a try to a dozen of 9mms and 22lrs...

Thanks everyone,

Seems my shortlist so far looks like:

Ruger SR22 (main candidate)

S&W MP22

Walther PPK/S in 22

Sig P226 Classic 22

I'll definitely need to handle those (and ideally let my wife handle them as well) to make a final choice by the time I get my next permit :-)

Might have a chance this weekend - there is an absolutely EXCELLENT range (no insult to NJ&PA ranges by any means) near Charlotte, NC, that has "rent by caliber" policy (at least they used to have it 6 months ago). The idea is that you pay $10-20 (not remember exactly) for a specific caliber and can try as many handguns of this caliber as you want as long as you buy ammo from them :-) As far as I am in Charlotte this weekend, I might go there to give a try to a dozen of 9mms and 22lrs...

I believe RTSP in Randolph has the same rent by caliber policy. I'm not sure what they have to rent in the way of .22 but if you check their website they list them there.

I believe RTSP in Randolph has the same rent by caliber policy. I'm not sure what they have to rent in the way of .22 but if you check their website they list them there.

Really? Thanks, good to know. I've been there only twice, second time while buying my first handgun from them, but have never used their range.

RTSP did have a rent buy caliber and I believe they still do I just have not used it since buying my own guns. However I did try the Sig Mosquito, Ruger sr22(which my wife bought) the ruger Mark 3(which I bought) and the S&W M&P22 all in their rental inventory. You just rent the caliber for $10 and then you have to buy the ammo for the rent though them.