Little Red Rooster

Moving out of NJ...legal obligations for my handguns??

Hello all. I was hoping to get the opinion of the forum on my situation...

I legally own several handguns in NJ. My job has forced me overseas temporarily. 

Due to NJ being a ridiculous state, my wife and I have decided that we are going to make our permanent residence in the US somewhere other than NJ (likely Vermont). 

Is there anything I must do in order to legally take my guns with me out of NJ? I know VT is pretty relaxed with their laws compared to NJ, but I wanted to get the opinion and advice from NJGF as it has provided me with a wealth of knowledge and tips since I bought my first handgun a couple years ago. 

I appreciate any feedback. Thank you very much!

Legally, surrender your FID card or file a change of address.  In reality, nothing.  Don't give anything up you earned in this state.

Of course I believe you are keeping your US citizenship and moving all of your property out of NJ before leaving.  For me, best state to own firearms in other than Vermont, Utah.

Excuse my ignorance on this, but.....so the the FPID card is for NJ only....Is there a VT equivalent or can I just change my address with a VT PD once we find a place there? 

We are definitely keeping our US citizenship. We moved to Bermuda for work (along with all our property and belongings)....NJ doesn't view our move as a change of residency so they require us to still pay taxes in NJ - hence our decision to move elsewhere. Considering they don't view me as a non-resident, I legally changed my USA residential address, NJ DMV address, mailing etc. to that of a family member's home, which I do consider my US address at this time. I did this so I could legally keep my handguns there in a sealed gun safe. 

Excuse my ignorance on this, but.....so the the FPID card is for NJ only....Is there a VT equivalent or can I just change my address with a VT PD once we find a place there? 

We are definitely keeping our US citizenship. We moved to Bermuda for work (along with all our property and belongings)....NJ doesn't view our move as a change of residency so they require us to still pay taxes in NJ - hence our decision to move elsewhere. Considering they don't view me as a non-resident, I legally changed my USA residential address, NJ DMV address, mailing etc. to that of a family member's home, which I do consider my US address at this time. I did this so I could legally keep my handguns there in a sealed gun safe. 

It's Vermont; you could probably keep them all out on the kitchen counter  (but a safe is a very good idea.)

So you'll be working in Bermuda, and changing your US residence from NJ to VT?    

We all hate you.    

:-)

Is there anything I must do in order to legally take my guns with me out of NJ?

Yes. You must unload them, place them in a locked container in your car trunk and drive straight to your new home.

I would recommend extreme discretion in states like NJ, NY, CT, RI or MA. If you're in a SUV, van or other similar vehicle, a dark colored blanket to cover your firearms and visible firearm cases is well advised... don't have any visible gun cases out. Drive carefully and obey all traffic laws so as to not attract law enforcement's attention. 

Im Vermont you need NOTHING!

Nothing needed to carry, Nothing but a DL to buy firearms. Nothing to buy ammo, And you can own pretty much anything.

I lived there for 4.5 years its very nice place to live

If I could just ignore the fact that Bernie Sanders would be my Senator I could live there... but I think I'll choose TX or one of the Carolinas instead. 

I don't understand ...so if you move everything you own out of Jersey ...what taxes are they going to want from you??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's kind of ridiculous. Or wait, it's totally ridiculous....

So we literally moved out of our apartment in Hoboken, all of our belongings, furniture, everything and shipped it in a container to Bermuda where we intend to stay for several years at a minimum.

The state of NJ doesn't consider our move as an actual move because we didn't move to a different US state. So, in that we didn't lose our NJ domicile NJ law states that we are responsible to pay FULL NJ state income tax on our salaries. We own NO property, have no connection to the state whatsoever, but according to their laws we are still considered residents even though we don't live there and have no income or property in the state. 

The danger is that if we move back to NJ in 3-10 years or something they could try and come after us for years worth of back taxes. So we've decided to legally move to another state to avoid paying 3-10 years of 7% tax for NO REASON at all...

So we literally moved out of our apartment in Hoboken, all of our belongings, furniture, everything and shipped it in a container to Bermuda where we intend to stay for several years at a minimum.

The state of NJ doesn't consider our move as an actual move because we didn't move to a different US state. So, in that we didn't lose our NJ domicile NJ law states that we are responsible to pay FULL NJ state income tax on our salaries. We own NO property, have no connection to the state whatsoever, but according to their laws we are still considered residents even though we don't live there and have no income or property in the state. 

The danger is that if we move back to NJ in 3-10 years or something they could try and come after us for years worth of back taxes. So we've decided to legally move to another state to avoid paying 3-10 years of 7% tax for NO REASON at all...

Basically, by their law we're NJ residents unitl we move elsewhere so they could technically come after us for taxes. I'd hate to get that letter if we didn't pay for like 6 years and the state came after us for $XXXXX 

It's kind of ridiculous but think of it - you are a citizen of the US and the state in which you reside. When you move you actually change your citizenship to that of another state, believe it or not. If you're not relinquishing your US citizenship, you're not actually moving. 

We are paying Federal taxes and have no issue with that as we're American citizens and I fully support my country, as I expect them to support me and my beliefs. 

However, NJ shouldn't be taking from my salary as I don't live there, don't work there, don't own property there. 

We haven't bought or "moved" residency to VT or anywhere yet.  I am not too clear on VT income tax and we are just literally starting this process. NH sounds like a better option. I was under the impression VT had no income tax. I clearly have some homework to do... 

It's kind of ridiculous but think of it - you are a citizen of the US and the state in which you reside. When you move you actually change your citizenship to that of another state, believe it or not. If you're not relinquishing your US citizenship, you're not actually moving. 

In my opinion I did leave NJ. I literally live in Bermuda, moved out of NJ,  and have no plans to return to NJ in the future. I plan to move back to the US in probably 6-10 years and have no idea where I'll live. I do not think NJ has any right to take money from me when I don't live there or hold any property. 

You can't be a US citizen without a state of residence is my point. And yes, NJ is ridiculous but this is bigger than NJ. 

I guess I'm forced to agree. So my decision is to buy a property in NH, claim residency ther, and live and earn a living in Bermuda. I will always pay my Fed taxes and happy to follow the laws of my new home state, wherever it ends up being. It just won't be NJ. 

Your question is actually in two parts:  #1:  What State do I move to to avoid paying NJ taxes?  #2 How do I transport guns?

IANAL, so I'm going to tell you to stop being so cheap and consult your tax attorney.  He may tell you Delaware, since it's the first State and has NO State Income Tax!

As for how to transport, if you don't already know, you shouldn't have them in the first place....  And IF you take them to Vermont, stay OUT of the 5 boroughs of NYC by going over the Tappan-Zee bridge.

Enjoy your escape!

In reality.....nothing. If driving to Vermont, just pack and secure them according to FOPA regulations and attempt to avoid New York State if at all possible.

Good Luck.

Your question is actually in two parts:  #1:  What State do I move to to avoid paying NJ taxes?  #2 How do I transport guns?

IANAL, so I'm going to tell you to stop being so cheap and consult your tax attorney.  He may tell you Delaware, since it's the first State and has NO State Income Tax!

As for how to transport, if you don't already know, you shouldn't have them in the first place....  And IF you take them to Vermont, stay OUT of the 5 boroughs of NYC by going over the Tappan-Zee bridge.

Enjoy your escape!

Yes, #1 is right on. And I have been consulting my tax accountants, however it's like herding cats and I can't get a solid answer from them. They basically give every answer with *but we can't guarantee anything/to be safe just pay NJ" - I guess I need a new accountant whose answer should just be "move to NH or Delaware"

Whatever, this wasn't meant to be about taxes, that's for me to deal with. Just thought forum would appreciate the predicament as it's another ex of NJ overreaching where it shouldn't. 

#2 Transport - clearly I know how to transport my firearms and I was unintentionally vague there. It was more along the lines of: if I purchase a NH home and then am considered a NH resident and not a NJ resident, could I get in trouble for going to NJ to pickup my guns and move them to NH. I guess I can answer it myself, and just abide by Federal handgun laws while driving from point A to B. 

#2 Transport - clearly I know how to transport my firearms and I was unintentionally vague there. It was more along the lines of: if I purchase a NH home and then am considered a NH resident and not a NJ resident, could I get in trouble for going to NJ to pickup my guns and move them to NH. I guess I can answer it myself, and just abide by Federal handgun laws while driving from point A to B. 

If you were born and raised in a free state, you'd already know the answer.    In a free state, they have no say in what you have, where you have it, how you store it or anything else.  You don't have to register it or tell anyone about it.  Think of a gun in a free state the same other property like lawn mower or a chainsaw.  It'd be silly to go tell the police in the free town that you have a chain saw and the same applies to guns.

As for transport...NY is VERY risky, so pack your guns well, bury them under something else and travel the speed limits while you're in occupied territory and under no circumstances consent to any searches.   The likelihood it would come to that is exceptionally low, but it's not zero.

Yes, #1 is right on. And I have been consulting my tax accountants, however it's like herding cats and I can't get a solid answer from them. They basically give every answer with *but we can't guarantee anything/to be safe just pay NJ" - I guess I need a new accountant whose answer should just be "move to NH or Delaware"

Whatever, this wasn't meant to be about taxes, that's for me to deal with. Just thought forum would appreciate the predicament as it's another ex of NJ overreaching where it shouldn't. 

In addition to the above, ask your Tax Professional about the NJ "Escape Tax".  It's the same whether you're going to Vermont or to be a Snowbird in sunny Florida.  They may have you file a simple form, pay the Escape Tax and you're no longer subjected to the half-assed "what if" answer by the boob that said, "DUH, just stay in NJ".......just sayin'.......

I guess I'm forced to agree. So my decision is to buy a property in NH, claim residency ther, and live and earn a living in Bermuda. I will always pay my Fed taxes and happy to follow the laws of my new home state, wherever it ends up being. It just won't be NJ. 

Pretty much. Similar thing for the armed forces. You could be stationed all over the world, but how you're taxed depends on what state you claim as your state of residency. You can't escape being part of a state.

There is a Flight Tax when you sell your NJ home that you don't get back without buying another home in NJ I think. Then you have to pay a toll to leave if you head west, but they just wish you luck if you are heading north and hoping to make it to one of the few free states up there.

There is a Flight Tax when you sell your NJ home that you don't get back without buying another home in NJ I think. Then you have to pay a toll to leave if you head west, but they just wish you luck if you are heading north and hoping to make it to one of the few free states up there.

You don't always have to pay a toll heading West. Maybe down South but not up here. There are a good few Delaware river crossings that are toll free.