ogfarmer

S532 Title: Strengthens State's assault weapons ban.

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2014/Bills/S1000/532_I1.HTM

STATEMENT

This bill would strengthen the State’s current assault weapons ban by revising the definition of an assault weapon to include:   rifles with detachable magazines and one military style feature; semi-automatic shotguns with one military style feature; and semi-automatic pistols with one military style feature.

The current definition of an assault weapon sets forth a list of prohibited firearms and specifically includes any firearm that is “substantially identical” to any of the enumerated firearms.  Under State regulations, a semi-automatic firearm is to be considered substantially identical to an enumerated firearm if it meets certain criteria.  This bill codifies these regulations while expanding the number of firearms that would be considered assault weapons by adding criteria and reducing the number of criteria that must be met from two to one.  For example, under current regulations, a semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two listed criteria would be considered an assault weapon.  These criteria include:  a folding telescoping stock, a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and a grenade launcher.  Under the bill, additional criteria are added including a thumbhole stock and a second handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand.  The bill also requires that only one criteria be met, rather than the currently required two.

This bill also would reduce the maximum capacity of a legal ammunition magazine in this State to seven rounds.  Under current law, it is unlawful to own or possess an ammunition magazine that is capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition.

im sure this has been discussed already but can someone clairfy. The heller & mcdonald ruling that a classification of firearms cannot be banned in general. How does this not apply that they are banning a classification, ("assault firearms")

First of all, the 7 round restriction should be unconstitutional, since I don't even think 7 round mags exist (except New York City somehow has a 5 round limit for long guns?).  Secondly, my objective interpretation (personal opinions aside) is that you simply cannot ban semi-automatic rifles with detachable magazine capability.  You can ban "evil features" but when you get right down to it, semi-automatic rifles accepting detachable magazines are a commonly used firearm type, which is protected by the Heller ruling. To the best of my knowledge, I don't know of any jurisdiction in the U.S. that has gotten away with banning semi-auto's with detachable mags.

Secondly, my objective interpretation (personal opinions aside) is that you simply cannot ban semi-automatic rifles with detachable magazine capability.  You can ban "evil features" but when you get right down to it, semi-automatic rifles accepting detachable magazines are a commonly used firearm type, which is protected by the Heller ruling. To the best of my knowledge, I don't know of any jurisdiction in the U.S. that has gotten away with banning semi-auto's with detachable mags.

The bill doesn't ban semi-autos with detachable magazines.  It bans semi-autos with detachable magazines IF they have just one additional evil feature. Unfortunately that means anything with a detachable magazine AND a pistol grip or thumb hole would now be illegal.  

im sure this has been discussed already but can someone clairfy. The heller & mcdonald ruling that a classification of firearms cannot be banned in general. How does this not apply that they are banning a classification, ("assault firearms")

It's not banning the firearm itself, It's banning a feature.  Rather, it does not say you cannot have an semi automatic rifle, it states you cannot have a semi automatic rifle with a pistol grip and detachable magazine. 

It's not banning the firearm itself, It's banning a feature.  Rather, it does not say you cannot have an semi automatic rifle, it states you cannot have a semi automatic rifle with a pistol grip and detachable magazine. 

Exactly.  Which is why the courts won't strike this down as being unconstitutional.

Anybody know how this Nia H Gill. got elected?  Comes out with some really odd bills

Apparently she is an attorney, is more than vocal and tied in to the "party".  She is from from the Oranges, Essex county.  I cannot bear to hear her speak.  I wish the hell she would pack it in and let someone else take a shot at representing her district. 

OK- here is her contact info.  Time to start mailing, emailing and calling her office about this.  I wasn't able to find her direct email address but you can access her through the NJ State legislature website.  I did look at the bills she sponsored, whew she is a doosey!

Phone- (973) 509-0388

Office addres-

39 South Fullerton Avenue
2nd Fl.
Suite 7
Montclair, NJ 07042

I indeed agree it is punitive. I cant remember anytime in NJ that there has been this much push back against anti 2A. And so I agree it is a move to rattle the saber so to speak. I also wonder if all the recent efforts has caught the attention of the NRA and motivated them to help those that try and help themselves instead of viewing us as a lost cause.

State Governments don't care about Heller/McDonald....they'll pass what they want, and you'll have to take your case to SCOTUS .

How about then banning vehicles with 'military style features' like Jeeps and Hummers.   That will cut down on the death rate from automobile accidents by taking these 'weapons of war' off our streets.   Plus, you never know when a Jeep driver might 'snap' and run into a crowd or something.   Anyone driving a Hummer needs mental heath testing.

Riiiigggttt

This is unreal. You'd have to quit your job and become a full time activist/lobbyist to just keep up with all of the anti 2A civil right stuff going on right now in Trenton. Not to mention it's all become a party line political battle. These legislators are just voting for the side their leadership tells them to. Disgusting how they are using our civil rights as a weapon in party political war.

This bill would strengthen the State’s current assault weapons ban by revising the definition of an assault weapon to include: rifles with detachable magazines and one military style feature;

Does this mean that they hope to classify bolt action rifles with detachable mags and another feature such as a threaded muzzle as assault weapons?

This bill would strengthen the State’s current assault weapons ban by revising the definition of an assault weapon to include: rifles with detachable magazines and one military style feature;

Does this mean that they hope to classify bolt action rifles with detachable mags and another feature such as a threaded muzzle as assault weapons?

I wouldn't be surprised. since we all know these crap bills don't actually serve a purpose toward public safety, we can assume they are a sad attempt to push legal gun owners to "give up" on having all the fun tacticool weapons we like. In there eyes all we should need is a rape whistle, so if they chip away at evil eatures features gradually, they believe we will say " oh well i guess we cant own an AR-15"...Guess what, F**ck them, look what they did in NJ with the pistol grip stock ar-15's