Zelig

Sell or Ship?

Just before the ammo shortage I planned accordingly and stockpiled about 250 - 1500 rounds of each caliber for each firearm I own.  It is about 6-7 plastic (50 caliber) ammo boxes in total.  My wife and I are planning to move to Florida in about 6-9 months.  I can use some of them at the range but will still have a lot left over.  

Would you mail them or try to go through the hassles of private sales?  

Anyone else been in a similar position?  If I sell them what kind of prices would you charge, current mail order?  I tended to buy good stuff based on ratings from Natchez.  

Only 6-7 ammo cans? If they are .50cal cans, considering how much space that takes up (which isn't much), I would keep them and bring them to FL with you since you will continue shooting. Even if you were getting out of the hobby, I would sell SOME of it but still keep a few hundred rounds of each caliber with you.

Edit: I just realized by reading that over that it sounds like you are flying to FL? Because if you were driving, you could easily bring them with you. But if you're flying, you'd have to ship them. If you have roughly 800-1000rds in each can, that is probably going to be anywhere from $20-30+ to ship each of them.  Considering that price, you may just want to ship one or two filled with a couple hundred rounds of the calibers you shoot most and sell the rest, then stock up once you get down there. Honestly, time is money and money is time. You could go through the work of packing them all up and shipping them and paying that $100+, or just sell it for market value and put that money towards new ammo to buy when you get to FL. But the money spent on shipping it will be spent on shipping it back to you if you buy off online retailers. Their cost of shipping will most likely be less than your price of shipping, but you get the idea.

.22LR  ship all of it. too hard to find and high round counts are cheap to ship

100 rds each of your favorite hard to replace rifle calibers, keep/ship.  

Everything remaining, sell.  By the time you pay the shipping costs, your otherwise reasonably priced ammo has become expensive ammo.

9mm and other popular pistol calibers will be easy to replace when you get there and will probably cost less per box than NJ prices.

If you asked this question a year ago Id say ship it all.  With that in mind, hold on to all your ammo until about a month before you move.  Ya never know what will happen between now and moving day.