TheMan

Any Cigar smokers here?

In winter I will have maybe one or two a month, during spring summer its a few a week. Drew estate which makes the acid line is nice, kuba kuba is the foundation of that companies cigars. One of their more exotic cigars is called the ambrosia van reef a very tasty cigar when it comes to flavored cigars. I love the flavors of drew estate in general, their roll quality in recent years though has come under question for me. I think its boiled down to their huge growth quickly in industry they need alot of rollers and let up on the quality to meet demand. 

I currently find myself more into classic style cigars with my occasional throw back to acid's flavored cigars here and there.Rocky patel edge cigars are very nice for the price 5-6 dollars and I recently discovered those. Aging room is another, in cigar aficionado they were ranked number 2 for 2013 I tried one out and can definitely see why it got the rank it did. It has a nice spice to them and smooth smoke they run about 8 dollars. A go to brand that's never let me down has always been ashton, quality is always top notch never had bad smoke but they carry a bit of a premium price almost all cigars are over 9 dollars even on their lower lines.

Another cigar company I finally tried just a few weeks ago although they have been around for a long time is davidoff, I go to JR Cigar up in whippany nj they usually have the best price possible on any cigar they carry. They recently have brought in the davidoff line the reason they haven't till now is I think davidoff requires a seller to carry the whole line and certain amount of inventory so they had to prep the humidor for that. Regardless the cigars are not cheap the cheapest one I saw was around 15 dollars and they go well over 50 dollars per cigar. That all being said the one I had was well worth its money never had a cigar quite like it. If you never had a cigar or are new to cigars I would not spend the money on one yet. The difference between what you expect from the average cigar and what davidoff offers might not be present for someone new to smoking and you might feel your money was not well spent.

For anyone new to cigars my suggested first cigar is romeo y julieta vintage number 3, a great classic cigar, nice quality tobacco and is around 5-6 dollars. A tip I give to anyone though when looking for a cigar is always check to see if its made in a torpedo size, if its pyramid or perfecto thats even better. Torpedo is most common of those sizes however. The reason being is the amount of skill a roller is required to have to make that style is higher. Getting that style increases your odds of getting a better constructed cigar, a bonus is they are alot easier to cut properly.

Thanks for reading my novel lol sorry, I love cigars its on par with my love for firearms.

• Like 1

I've had a Ramon bueso odessy and a 5 Vegas 'A' recently. I liked them both but the 5 Vegas was a really good smoke. It was coffee like with a bit of chocolate. I'm trying to make a dent in my humidor that I filled in January, trying a bunch of different styles. I have a couple rocky patels I'm really looking to smoke

Mild:  Not really my thing, but when done well, a mild cigar can be amazing. 

Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real   http://www.cigarinspector.com/romeo-y-julieta-dominican/romeo-y-julieta-reserva-real-robusto

Rocky Patel Vintage 1999  http://www.stogiereview.com/2006/12/03/rocky-patel-vintage-1999

Illusione Candela (This is a really unique smoke. You should treat yourself to one if you've never had one) http://www.stogieguys.com/2011/02/02212011-guest-review-illusione-88-candela.html

Medium Bodied: There are so many to choose from, so I'll just throw out some of the very best ones (for me).

Viaje Late Harvest line (changes every year)  halfwheel.com/review-viaje-late-harvest-lh-648-2012/27087 http://www.cigar-coop.com/2013/08/cigar-review-viaje-late-harvest-hang.html

Cabaiguan http://www.stogieguys.com/2011/12/12192011-cigar-review-cabaiguan-guapos.html

Nub Cameroon http://www.stogiereview.com/2008/02/26/nub-460-cameroon/

Joya de Nicaragua Celebracion http://cigarfan.net/2006/06/01/joya-de-nicaragua-celebracion-consul/

Padilla Miami http://cigarobsession.com/2011/10/01/padilla-miami-toro-cigar-review/

CAO Italia http://www.stogiereview.com/2007/11/28/cao-italia-ciao/

Bold/Full Bodied: This is really my wheelhouse.

La Gloria Cubana Serie R http://www.stogiereview.com/2007/03/23/la-gloria-cubana-serie-r/

Ligar Privada No. 9 http://zackthestogieman.blogspot.com/2012/05/drew-estate-liga-privada-no-9-toro-tubo.html

Cain F http://www.theperfectdraw.com/1102/cain-f-cigar-review

CAO LX2 http://www.cigaraficionado.com/top25/show/id/10059

Oliva Serie V http://www.cigarinspector.com/oliva/oliva-serie-v-torpedo

And of course Padron.

I could go on, but there are really tons of great cigars out there. Half the fun is tryiing new stuff.

I started when I was 17 in HS.  That was 37 years ago.  I smoke Torpedo's, Pyramids and Churchills.  When I started I liked Macanudo Price Phillip (size 7" x 49 ring).  Now I'm into medium and heavy bodied ONLY.  I've been a JR customer for decades, so I've seen labels come and go.  Currently enjoy some of Alpo's ^^ suggestions such as La Gloria Cubana Serie R, Oliva Serie V (always in stock at CI in Hamburg PA--next to Cabela's), Hoyo Oscuras (that tissue paper sucks in extra moisture and makes the cigar smoke-able to a finger-burnin' NUB!), and others.

When I visit the Islands (and have MONEY,lol), I start with a Cohiba Siglo VI with coffee before breakfast.  It's smooth and light, but still made with Ligero tobacco.  Slide into a Partagas Lusitania after breakfast.  Enjoy a Romeo and Julieta Churchill before dinner and finish with a Montecristo #2 after dinner with dessert and coffee at the restaurant's lounge (cause smokin' at restaurants is encouraged, since they sell sticks right there!).  I have connections all over the Caribbean and have ordered sealed boxes (with all of the proper documentation, holograms, etc.) to be delivered to my hotel suite (while I'm en-route) via my Driver's cell phone.  So yeah, I'm sorta into cigars, lol!

So if I can mentor any of you getting into it, just ask.

Dave

Acid's are great if you are into flavored stuff; i love the kuba kuba's. Casa de garcias are my everydays, they are mild and not expensive at all.

when i want to splurge i usually go with a nice Ashton.

I agree, I love the acid brand.

If you take it one step further, I recommend anything made by Drew Estate (they make acids)

if money was no issue i would smoke Padrons or Rocky Patels every day. but, i cannot afford that, so i usually just buy whatever CI has for dirt cheap clearance in medium to full bodied. none of that flavored stuff tho. i got a few san lotano cigars in a sampler and they were pretty damn good. i like a maduro wrapper the best. it just seems to add the tastes i like. it seems that they are fuller and a bit spicier with that wrapper, which i like. i also find that i like a medium gauge the best as well as i don't crush them or slobber all over them.

if you're not sure of what you like i highly suggest getting a few samplers from CI in Bethlehem or right in front of Cabela's on your next run there. huge selections, decent prices and decently helpful staff. plus they have a lounge to hang out.

I started when I was 17 in HS.  That was 37 years ago.  I smoke Torpedo's, Pyramids and Churchills.  When I started I liked Macanudo Price Phillip (size 7" x 49 ring).  Now I'm into medium and heavy bodied ONLY.  I've been a JR customer for decades, so I've seen labels come and go.  Currently enjoy some of Alpo's ^^ suggestions such as La Gloria Cubana Serie R, Oliva Serie V (always in stock at CI in Hamburg PA--next to Cabela's), Hoyo Oscuras (that tissue paper sucks in extra moisture and makes the cigar smoke-able to a finger-burnin' NUB!), and others.

When I visit the Islands (and have MONEY,lol), I start with a Cohiba Siglo VI with coffee before breakfast.  It's smooth and light, but still made with Ligero tobacco.  Slide into a Partagas Lusitania after breakfast.  Enjoy a Romeo and Julieta Churchill before dinner and finish with a Montecristo #2 after dinner with dessert and coffee at the restaurant's lounge (cause smokin' at restaurants is encouraged, since they sell sticks right there!).  I have connections all over the Caribbean and have ordered sealed boxes (with all of the proper documentation, holograms, etc.) to be delivered to my hotel suite (while I'm en-route) via my Driver's cell phone.  So yeah, I'm sorta into cigars, lol!

Dave

nothing better than smoke poles and smoke sticks for a great summer afternoon at the range huh? BTW i found a club near me here in NC and i think they are going to start having BP matches. i have to wait until next month to become a member as they require you to attend 2 meetings. but, i will definitely be taking part in these if they happen or pushing for them if they don't. i just need to find a supplier like Dixons down here and figure out my target load sweet spot on that old renegade of mine. thinking about trying mosin robs load data and going from there as he has the same gun that he shot DX and several club/league records up there.

I started when I was 17 in HS. That was 37 years ago. I smoke Torpedo's, Pyramids and Churchills. When I started I liked Macanudo Price Phillip (size 7" x 49 ring). Now I'm into medium and heavy bodied ONLY. I've been a JR customer for decades, so I've seen labels come and go. Currently enjoy some of Alpo's ^^ suggestions such as La Gloria Cubana Serie R, Oliva Serie V (always in stock at CI in Hamburg PA--next to Cabela's), Hoyo Oscuras (that tissue paper sucks in extra moisture and makes the cigar smoke-able to a finger-burnin' NUB!), and others.

When I visit the Islands (and have MONEY,lol), I start with a Cohiba Siglo VI with coffee before breakfast. It's smooth and light, but still made with Ligero tobacco. Slide into a Partagas Lusitania after breakfast. Enjoy a Romeo and Julieta Churchill before dinner and finish with a Montecristo #2 after dinner with dessert and coffee at the restaurant's lounge (cause smokin' at restaurants is encouraged, since they sell sticks right there!). I have connections all over the Caribbean and have ordered sealed boxes (with all of the proper documentation, holograms, etc.) to be delivered to my hotel suite (while I'm en-route) via my Driver's cell phone. So yeah, I'm sorta into cigars, lol!

Dave

I will take you up on that offer.

picked up a few Acids last week. just have to find the time to smoke them. Trying to find put what I like.

nothing better than smoke poles and smoke sticks for a great summer afternoon at the range huh? BTW i found a club near me here in NC and i think they are going to start having BP matches. i have to wait until next month to become a member as they require you to attend 2 meetings. but, i will definitely be taking part in these if they happen or pushing for them if they don't. i just need to find a supplier like Dixons down here and figure out my target load sweet spot on that old renegade of mine. thinking about trying mosin robs load data and going from there as he has the same gun that he shot DX and several club/league records up there.

HELLO there!  You try what Rob told ya and you'll make-out just fine!  Got the brass (THANKS!) and will be giving it a good home shortly.  Glad to hear ya settled-in and found a club to join.  And yer right!  Sometimes I like to finish my smoke before I play with Explosives, lol!  Have a GREAT summer and stay in touch!

Dave

HELLO there!  You try what Rob told ya and you'll make-out just fine!  Got the brass (THANKS!) and will be giving it a good home shortly.  Glad to hear ya settled-in and found a club to join.  And yer right!  Sometimes I like to finish my smoke before I play with Explosives, lol!  Have a GREAT summer and stay in touch!

Dave

i usually save the cigar for after the shooting. gets the BP flavor out of my mouth and the sulfer smell out of my hair!! and he didn't tell me anything, i just remember him posting his load data after he got his DX or record. ill have to go back to that thread and reread it but i know it was there somewhere

I will take you up on that offer.

picked up a few Acids last week. just have to find the time to smoke them. Trying to find put what I like.

If you like the ACIDS, see if you can get a hold of the boxed-pressed CAO line.  Wrappers are exceptional and you can experiment without emptying your wallet.  Same filler and binder, just different wrapper.  Then experiment with making changes to both at the same time.  Their Sumatran wrappers are very tasty.  Always highly rated sticks that burn evenly and I never had a plugged cigar from them.  Let me know what ya think!

Enjoy!

Dave

i usually save the cigar for after the shooting. gets the BP flavor out of my mouth and the sulfer smell out of my hair!! and he didn't tell me anything, i just remember him posting his load data after he got his DX or record. ill have to go back to that thread and reread it but i know it was there somewhere

Rob and I are both on Facebook, so you can contact him that way directly, if you wish to.  We're also on a couple fb pages from different black powder groups--lots of good info there as well!

If you like the ACIDS, see if you can get a hold of the boxed-pressed CAO line. Wrappers are exceptional and you can experiment without emptying your wallet. Same filler and binder, just different wrapper. Then experiment with making changes to both at the same time. Their Sumatran wrappers are very tasty. Always highly rated sticks that burn evenly and I never had a plugged cigar from them. Let me know what ya think!

Enjoy!

Dave

I have a CAO that I've been saving. Not sure for what but someone had given it to me. Also not sure if it's boxed-pressed. Give me some time and I'll get back to you. Thanks