mipafox

Are You Leaving NJ in the Next 5 Years?

253 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan to leave NJ in the next 5 years?

• Yes
    • No
    • Already Gone
    • I'm a cop Yes
    • I'm a cop No

My wife will not ever want to leave beause she was born & raised here. The only way I'm getting out is upon my death, creamation and ash spreading back in PA where I belong.

Pretty much this, except I was also born/raised in NJ. I don't think my wife will ever leave. I'm hoping as the kids get older, they decide to move outta state so it'll give the wife a reason to finally leave also.

I hosed the poll. I went to edit the OP and the poll just went poof. It's a disaster! Grr...

Just curious... Did you also intend for the "I'm a cop" answers to be "mutually exclusive" from the other three?  Because more than one answer could apply to any individual (e.g. One could answer "I'm a cop - Yes or No", as well as "Yes, No, or already gone")...

Just curious... Did you also intend for the "I'm a cop" answers to be "mutually exclusive" from the other three?  Because more than one answer could apply to any individual (e.g. One could answer "I'm a cop - Yes or No", as well as "Yes, No, or already gone")...

All choices are voluntary. I gave my reason for providing nice cop options. I would prefer the cops vote the cop options because their votes will probably be different than us simple people but it's not required.

8 to 12...depends on my kids. My youngest graduates HS in 8 years and hopefully out of college in 12. By then I don't care if I have a single wide in a free state. As long as I am out of here.

Good luck getting LEOSA honored everywhere in NJ for retirees....  I know many LEO retirees that have elected to move away than fight that battle. :rolleyes:

LEOSA is Federal law and it trumps any state law. I've seen the NJ AG opinion letter requiring retired LEOs who are NJ residents to get the RPO permit. The NJ AG can't supercede Federal law.

LEOSA is Federal law and it trumps any state law. I've seen the NJ AG opinion letter requiring retired LEOs who are NJ residents to get the RPO permit. The NJ AG can't supercede Federal law.

Perhaps not, but they can make the individual attempt to exercise it extremely difficult... to the point of "why bother... easier to move away..."  I think, perhaps, they (NJ) are counting on that mindset.

Barring some major shift happening, probably not until at least one of us retires. That may be sooner than we think though. My wife is older than I am and works in the public sector (not NJ) so she has a lot to lose if she just ups and changes jobs. So let's say they decide to offer city workers early retirement with a decent package. Would she take it? Probably. Would we move? Probably.

My wife likes our house though. Can't say I hate the house and property, or even the county/town that I live in. But the state sucks.

I have had a good few opportunities to move to places like DFW Texas and Nashville. Relocation within the same company but I kept the same pay. Could have taken them but my wife would lose a lot. We'd lose our health insurance which is pretty damn good, and which we need. 

So in short, probably not. But as they say, you never know.

I could see a move to PA but honestly I'm not to keen on some parts of Eastern PA such as the Poconos region, due to the proliferation of NY transplants.

I notice a trend here.. you tax-paid workers literally CANNOT escape because you are so conditioned to serving the State and receiving from the State that you honestly believe it is better here than somewhere else. You honestly believe that if you continue to give to the system here that the "reward" will be worth it. That is exactly what the State wants; for you to NEED it.

Have you always lived in NJ? Who told you that your job or pension is worth what you are giving?

I guess because I'm from NC and lived, as an adult, in VA, OK and TX. I am used to freedom, not being killed by taxes, cops I dont have to be careful about and laws that favor individualism.

Though I LOVE my job I have several applications out. One could take me back to the south-west in the fall. Another could take me to Alabama. Another to PA. If NONE pan out for me I am taking my family to live with my dad and I am just starting over from scratch.

In any event I will NOT be in NJ 12 months from now.

I notice a trend here.. you tax-paid workers literally CANNOT escape because you are so conditioned to serving the State and receiving from the State that you honestly believe it is better here than somewhere else. You honestly believe that if you continue to give to the system here that the "reward" will be worth it. That is exactly what the State wants; for you to NEED it.

Apart from that, NJ now has a residency requirement for most public workers. Honestly, I hope that it never goes away. If you are employed by the taxpayers, you should be one of the taxpayers. If you're helping the state machine, you should be fully immersed in it and not escape it.

Have you always lived in NJ? Who told you that your job or pension is worth what you are giving?

I personally have not. I moved here from NYC. I moved to NYC from another country. 

I honestly never wanted to live in the NYC/NJ area. I wanted to live in Florida or Texas. But I met my current wife, got married and we stayed. To me it was a big mistake to stay here. We had plenty of opportunities to leave. Then we bought the house and with the whole housing crash we are kinda stuck now. 

I must say though, my wife's benefits are pretty good, the health plan especially. I went on my company's insurance and it was expensive and totally sucked. They didn't cover half the things that her plan did and it was a stupid 80/20 plan instead of a PPO with just a small co-pay like hers. As I get older, having a good health plan is a must. 

The taxes suck but probably not as bad up here in Sussex County. We do pay income tax to NY state though, and that takes an even bigger bite than NJ. However, we are high income earners so we'll probably be soaked everywhere we go. 

There's no need to add insult to injury. We are all brothers at some level. You guys are just the brothers I don't want moving to my State :D