When it comes to cleaning things I'm a bit neurotic. I like to make sure I do so at the proper time, with the proper tools, and with the proper agents. 

I've been using Ballistol. I currently clean my handgun every time I go to the range at which I fire 100 rounds. I will spray, let sit for 5 minutes, and send down a patch (until clean) and send a brass brush down at random cleanings. 

I wanted to try something new so I purchased Hoppes No. 9 spray. I sprayed patches and sent those down until clean. No, brushing this time. 

I oil with a little needle tipped Remington oil. 

So, am I doing it right? Overkill? 

How do you clean? How often? 

Can you tell I can get into specifics?

Thanks guys.

KCCO

I clean after every range session. Why? Why not. It relaxes me and gives me a chance to see if anything has gone wrong with the internals.

Something caught early can often avoid a disaster.

Mpro7 spray down the barrel let sit, brush, patches till clean.

Your a neurotic butt. :p

I wipe down after every range trip. I clean after every 1000-2000 rounds (exception is my issues duty gun. It gets a quick cleaning after each range session it is shot at, but that rarely gets shot except during quals). 1 time a year I do a full tear down and inspection in each firarm.

If you are spending more than 10 minutes cleaning you are doing more than you have to.

Slip 725 cleaner. A couple sprays, quick hit with a toothbrush and a couple of q-tips, wipe it down with an old T Shirt. Inspect parts for signs of wear and swap what needs swapping on the PM cycle. Reassemble, add a few drops of Slip EWL lube and done.

I start with one patch filled with Hoppes in the bore, and let it sit. Then clean everything else with MPro7 and a brush. I spray off with Slip2000 725 Degreaser. On Glocks, since it's so easy to detail strip the frame, I do that and run the bare frame under warm water and scrub with a brush quickly. Once I'm done with all that, I go back to the barrel, and clean with MPro7 and Slip2000 too. Then lube all metal surfaces with FireClean.

I do this with any gun that I won't be shooting the next day. Since I do things like practice draws and dry firing (safely of course), I prefer having a clean gun. Just something I could never get over I guess.

But I acknowledge that having a very clean gun isn't necessary. In a multi day class, I will only wipe down and re-lube the gun after each day.

I guess im a little on the neurotic side..  considering i dont shoot as much as many here (once a month-ish), i tend to clean a decent amount after each range trip..  mpro7 down the barrel and on the internals..  toothbrush scrub on the internals, wipe off with shop towels (or microfiber cloth), brush & patch in the barrel..  let it dry, grease rails (EWG or tw25b), oil internals a bit..  re-assemble..    takes longer than 10 minutes just cuz i dont go that fast...

I used to be neurotic. Now I just wipe my guns down and clean them around 500 rds.

Be it a $500 PPQ or $6000 Supergrade.

Ive always wanted to try Ballistol, but cant find the aerosol can size I want.

Amazon I think.....

I'll say this one more time because it bugs the mud puppies here. ;)

I don't care how dirty they are or are not. Other than maybe a little OCD, I really love doing it. It relaxes me and as some others I've heard in my travels, it's therapeutic. :D

Amazon I think..... I'll say this one more time because it bugs the mud puppies here. ;) I don't care how dirty they are or are not. Other than maybe a little OCD, I really love doing it. It relaxes me and as some others I've heard in my travels, it's therapeutic. :D

i agree

Out of curiosity, do the gun "over-cleaners" steam and clean their car engine every time they drive it?  I don't really care how you spend your free time, and unless you use steel wool or steel brushes odds are you won't damage your firearm so clean away, but think of all the other things you could do with your time.

Almost any gun cleaner will work. Almost any oil will work. Cleaning handgun barrels is darn near unnecessary unless you are shooting lead, cleaning the rest of the handgun is probably more important.

I new I'd get their goats. Lmao!

No, I don't clean my car engine. At least not since I had my 64 Chevy way way long ago.

But the main reason I don't is because it's too cumbersome to get it in the house and put it on the dining room table! Lol...

I have to clean my rifles every time since I am trying to print tight groups at 200 yards and I tend to clean my pistols and revolvers each time out as well, just a habit since I was a kid.

I clean often, I re-clean after cleaning (a few days later) just in case, I utilize multiple brands and types of cleaning products, and I mix and match sometimes.

I keep clean guns, i was firmly raised and trained your weapons must be perfectly clean (and therefore ready for action) at all times (physically possible, of course.  In the middle of a battle notwithstanding etc.) and it's further important to check on the cleanliness of guns not fired but stored... if anyone here carries concealed they can tell you how, a perfectly cleaned gun , only a few weeks carried every day, becomes a disgustingly dirty lint-magnet with fuzzies and funk in the bore etc.

I also believe you get the best cleaning and protection by using different products or rotating etc.  I am probably in the neurotic category myself but, I have never had a problem being neurotic about cleaning (even myself/clothes/etc.)  Much much better to be extra clean than not clean enough.

I clean often, I re-clean after cleaning (a few days later) just in case, I utilize multiple brands and types of cleaning products, and I mix and match sometimes.

I keep clean guns, i was firmly raised and trained your weapons must be perfectly clean (and therefore ready for action) at all times (physically possible, of course. In the middle of a battle notwithstanding etc.) and it's further important to check on the cleanliness of guns not fired but stored... if anyone here carries concealed they can tell you how, a perfectly cleaned gun , only a few weeks carried every day, becomes a disgustingly dirty lint-magnet with fuzzies and funk in the bore etc.

I also believe you get the best cleaning and protection by using different products or rotating etc. I am probably in the neurotic category myself but, I have never had a problem being neurotic about cleaning (even myself/clothes/etc.) Much much better to be extra clean than not clean enough.

For sure... A clean weapon in your hand is a handy weapon. Stickiness not a good thing. Heh - heh - heh! ;)... And always put on your helmet while handling...

I'm in the 1500 round group --  1911s gets wiped down after each trip out but only field stripped every 1500 or so rounds and cleaned 

Funny thing --I'll clean and lube a new just out of box gun better than one thats seen 1000 rounds... before I put  a single round thru it -- after that its on the 1500 round rotation

I have a stainless MKIII hunter thats been lubed and wiped down -- never really cleaned -- that thing has to have seen 10,000+ and runs like it should

I used to be neurotic. Now I just wipe my guns down and clean them around 500 rds.

Be it a $500 PPQ or $6000 Supergrade.

Ive always wanted to try Ballistol, but cant find the aerosol can size I want.

If you are ordering something from Midway, add the Ballistrol so the shipping will not be so bad. I got a can of the spray and the larger "refill" can just so I don't have to run around looking for it again when I need it.  It has a long shelf life similar to Hoppes.

If you are ordering something from Midway, add the Ballistrol so the shipping will not be so bad. I got a can of the spray and the larger "refill" can just so I don't have to run around looking for it again when I need it.  It has a long shelf life similar to Hoppes.

Thanks I didnt know they had it.. I was checking amazon.

Wait, I'm suppossed to clean them!? JK, JK. I'm starting to lose some of my OCD about cleaning every time I shoot. When I purchased my first gun last year I spent 45 min to and hour cleaning it. Now I'm prob down to 15 minutes.

While visiting one of my brothers this summer he had some CLP. He's a Marine. First time I used it and was impressed. Did a very good job. Pror to that I had only used Hoppes #9. I've only shot once this summer and revolver didn't seem to get as dirty after I had cleaned it with the CLP. Maybe I just didn't shoot it as much? I just wiped the revolver down and put it away.

Did't clean my 9mm or AR after last outing. They haven't fallen apart last time I opened the safe to make sure they were okay.

I'll def be picking up some CLP in the near future.

I buy Breakfree CLP by the quart spray bottle. It is not the best cleaner, it is not the best lube and i is not the best protector, but for a all in one it is hard to beat it. I use it C and L and P but I also use it to de-rust mags, lube my reloading press, etc. Don't leave your guns in the rain, don't run them dry and expect the lube residue to still be there, and don't fill the rifling with copper or moly before you decide to clean it and CLP will do you well.

I do have specialty cleaners for specialty things. I do use a foaming bore cleaner now and then because it is easy work and I'm a fan of that. I do use Sweets 7.62 on heavily copper fouled bores, I use Boeshield to protect guns that don't come out of the safe very often, but all of those things are rare things.