Sign in to follow this  
Carcano

NJ Multiple Handgun Exemption?

Doesn't the Data Reduction Unit work independently from the NICS Unit? That is why I suggested sending a copy along with the permits.

That I don't know..........but I've never sent them in with the white copies and have never had them say anything about it.

OK, paperwork is moving along well my local PD sent out the reference forms and my references returned them yesterday...exemption form was sent off at the same time (the local PD held off on the permits until the exemption comes back) this could be a good thing as things are moving pretty fast :)

6 pistols on the exemption form, I applied for 9 permits, so...........

When I get my permits and exemption back I know I can pickup all 6 the same day BUT what if I decide to buy a 7th pistol using one of the extra permits the next day?!?!? Would I be "exempt" and would that extra pistol count as just one gun a month OR do I have to wait a month AFTER picking up my ecempt pistols to buy something else???

I'm loving those P-64 and TT pistols :) Feel the need to buy some more when my permits come in :D

Any handguns purchased on a multiple handgun exemption are just that: exempt. The 30 day clock has nothing to do with them. You can buy another pistol the next day, or the day before.

The one thing you can NOT do is use one NICS check for both handguns on a multiple exemption AND a handgun on a regular P2P (which does observe the 30 day clock).

I have done this twice.

I half disagree with the above. You can not buy that 7th handgun right after the 6 exempt ones, because you are acquiring that 7th within 30 days of another. If you can not wait to get the 7th, then get that one FIRST, then you can acquire the 6 exempt ones. In fact, legally you may acquire all 7 on one NICS check, but it may throw a flag up to the NJ NICS people that will ask for all serial numbers. In this case, I would ask the disposer to write the time of the transfer on each PPP copy.

I have done this twice, in 2012 and 2013. I bought xx handguns on Monday, and another one on Wednesday. I did not have a problem, and I am not under arrest. Nor did it even raise a question.

In the NICS online screen, if you select a multiple handgun purchase you are required to put in the serial numbers. It's not a matter of 'throwing up a flag to the NICS people'. The process won't proceed without serial numbers. The NICS software will look up those serial numbers in the database to see that they in fact were approved.

I have done this twice, in 2012 and 2013. I bought xx handguns on Monday, and another one on Wednesday. I did not have a problem, and I am not under arrest. Nor did it even raise a question.

In the NICS online screen, if you select a multiple handgun purchase you are required to put in the serial numbers. It's not a matter of 'throwing up a flag to the NICS people'. The process won't proceed without serial numbers. The NICS software will look up those serial numbers in the database to see that they in fact were approved.

Thanks, after I pickup my 6 exempt pistols I might grab that other P64 a day or so after.

And yes NJSP already has the serial numbers/model/make/cal/etc. for each of those "exempt" pistols...

Just to clarify, the non-exempt handgun you bought on Wednesday was at least 30 days since your last non-exempt handgun purchase?

Just to clarify, the non-exempt handgun you bought on Wednesday was at least 30 days since your last non-exempt handgun purchase?

Exactly correct. At least 30.

Handguns purchased on an exemption do not check or reference, and are not checked or referenced by, other non-exempt purchases. All non-exempt purchases of course do check and reference the 30 day calendar limit.

And yes NJSP already has the serial numbers/model/make/cal/etc. for each of those "exempt" pistols...

Right. You put them on the exemption form, the NJSP Firearms Unit puts them into the database, and the same serial numbers must be entered online when your exempt NICS check is run. (Or provided verbally if the check is not done online.)

Thanks 45Doll. I stand corrected. Even the NJSP can't follow the law as it is written.

Damn it, so now I need more ammo :D

Hopefully I get my forms/permits back in the next week or so and I'll be able to pickup a non exempt pistol the following day. So that leaves 2 remaining permits good for 60+ days....

Hey Paul, any CZ 82's or similar in stock??? :D

Any handguns purchased on a multiple handgun exemption are just that: exempt. The 30 day clock has nothing to do with them. You can buy another pistol the next day, or the day before.

The one thing you can NOT do is use one NICS check for both handguns on a multiple exemption AND a handgun on a regular P2P (which does observe the 30 day clock).

I have done this twice.

There was a thread on here a couple of months ago from another member that had done exactly what you had done numerous times without issue and then was denied on a NICS check for doing the same thing. Apparently the NJSP is no longer allowing a non exempt transfer inside of 30 days after an exempt transfer. Non exempt transfer before an exempt transfer is no problem.

Carcano, buy your non exempt handgun before using your exemption.

There was a thread on here a couple of months ago from another member that had done exactly what you had done numerous times without issue and then was denied on a NICS check for doing the same thing. Apparently the NJSP is no longer allowing a non exempt transfer inside of 30 days after an exempt transfer. Non exempt transfer before an exempt transfer is no problem.

Well, as I said, the last time I did this was December of 2013. If they have changed their mind on how to enforce the law i guess that wouldn't surprise me. Is the change to their policy published anywhere... in writing?

OK, it was a rhetorical question.

From my very recent experience, it seems the front-line NICS employees are not 100% clear on how exemptions work in general.

If you run into any issues, I would have your FFL call NICS and ask to speak to a supervisor which seemed to resolve the confusion on their side.

Good advice, I have my mind set on a Browning FEG, CZ82 (or 83) and a early Colt. 25 pocket pistol.

I'll probably do the FEG the week I get the permits and a day or so after go pickup my 6 exempt pistol, and use those two remaining permits with the required wait.

So that means 9 pistols (6 exempt and 3 non exempt) all within 90 days so no extension.

Permits and exemption were approved :)

Handed in the forms October 23rd and received the call December 11th.

So I should defiantly buy the non-exempt one first, right? I'm thinking of buying the non-exempt one on Monday and picking up the exempt pistols the same week. That's legal, right?

I'm blown away with how fast NJSP approved the exemption.

I'm blown away with how fast NJSP approved the exemption.

The fastest one they ever turned around for me was 1 day. For which I thanked them.

Perhaps what's legal or illegal on any given day depends on what flavor of doughnut is delivered to the Firearms Unit that morning?

Related question. Does dealer have to physically inspect the serial numbers before filling in in exception form ?

For example, if the firearms are being shipped but serial numbers are known, can dealer (and buyer) submit paperwork before the firearms reach the NJ dealer ?

The serial numbers must match at the time the exemption is exercised, the NICS check is run and you take possession. The law says nothing about where the guns are when the exemption applications are completed.

Hold on a second... what flavor doughnut did I eat this morning?

I submitted an exemption on 11/7 to my local PD and they have not got it back from the state yet. I guess I would call

the NJSP firearms investigation unit to see if it was lost or what the delay is?

Yes, I had to call the NJSP FIU to check the on the status of mine.  It turns out NJSP had turned it around in two weeks and it was sitting at my local PD.

The serial numbers must match at the time the exemption is exercised, the NICS check is run and you take possession. The law says nothing about where the guns are when the exemption applications are completed.

Hold on a second... what flavor doughnut did I eat this morning?

True, but I personally won't sign a document swearing the information is true until I can verify for sure it's correct. I think most other dealers would think the same way. The NJSP is particular about serial numbers being correct.

True, but I personally won't sign a document swearing the information is true until I can verify for sure it's correct. I think most other dealers would think the same way. The NJSP is particular about serial numbers being correct.

My dealer had the pistols logged already and I assisted in completing the forms. I would not feel comfortable asking any NJ licensed dealer to sign off on those forms if the pistols were still in transit/not in his books.

The make/cal/serial need to match, if they don't the dealer risks loosing his license...

I went to the PD on Friday because this is what is holding up my permits. They said it was not there and it was not in my folder. I will

try to call the NJSP tomorrow.

The delay is most likely with your local PD. The old town I lived in exemptions would take 2 and half to 5 weeks to get back because they would hold them until they had a lot of other stuff to mail to the FIU. My new town sends it in right away and I got one back in 8 days, the longest has been around two weeks. Your town probably sat on it for a while.

My dealer had the pistols logged already and I assisted in completing the forms. I would not feel comfortable asking any NJ licensed dealer to sign off on those forms if the pistols were still in transit/not in his books.

The make/cal/serial need to match, if they don't the dealer risks loosing his license...

Fair enough. What's confusing is, why does it matter to NJ ? One cannot take possession of them without P2Ps anyways.

But then again, the whole OGAM doesn't follow commonsense and logic.