sleepinducer01

Coming back from Afghanistan and warned of ISIS threat to military personnel. Can i obtain a Concealed carry permit??

So who is putting a direct question to CC? Is there a politician ready to introduce bill calling to restore CCW for military members in NJ ?

restore for everyone, not just military.

Is there a politician ready to introduce bill calling to restore CCW for military members in NJ ?

This has been done before by pro 2A legislators. Never makes it out of the Democratic controlled Public Saftey sub-committee.  This is so the legislators will not be embarrassed by having to vote it down.  We need public referendum legislation to stop the BS.  Take it straight to the voting public.

This has been done before by pro 2A legislators. Never makes it out of the Democratic controlled Public Saftey sub-committee. This is so the legislators will not be embarrassed by having to vote it down. We need public referendum legislation to stop the BS. Take it straight to the voting public.

What I have seen introduced are broad action bills. And of course you cannot put anyone on the spot with broad action Bills.

Introduce specific bills and dump it on politicians who oppose CCW for Military and Emergency Personnel. Craft bills with specific references to active and demonstrated terrorist threats against service members and emergency personnel. And let politicians who wants blood of service members on their hands come out of closet.

I am neither, but would be happy to see more groups get what's rightfully ours.

restore for everyone, not just military.

The military angle is probably a good one. We just need to get the camel's nose under the tent, we'll worry about the rest of it later.

US Military personnel under direct threat from ISIS and those crazies all over Europe is our version of "Think of the children!" It provokes sympathy and outrage, especially in a country where carry is allowed in 47 states and at a time of support for the military.

And, I agree, strike while the iron is hot. They just took down another cell in Belgium, Chris Christie hasn't been kicked out of the primaries yet, ISIS is on the roll, pin down Nappen and your other people for a quick strategy that we can get underway now. Like Monday. It doesn't have to be perfect, we need publicity first and a chance of succeeding second. Succeeding second because, remember, most of these suits get settled with an offer for the court to grant an individual license, and that is normally accepted. I'm assuming in part to show good faith by the attorney. Could this go further than that? Well, there won't be a time when our chances are better. But the publicity could bring pressure as well that could be built upon.

Glad I ran across this thread, I also work for the NJ National Guard, we are in the process of researching and putting together a group with potential endorsement from some relatively high ups. Our group consists of about 75 NJ guardsmen at the moment. I'm pretty sure we could attempt to expand this to include other military members since our "justification" does revolve around the current threats that the CIA and FBI have felt were significant enough to issue those memos to us. We expect to be denied, but if we can get this group even bigger I think our appeal chances look a bit better.

Just to follow up, our management nixed the idea of trying a group like this. My guess is they were afraid of "endorsing" something like this as if they were representing the military. So I'm all ears to any ideas or groups that have any ideas, I'm just not sure I feel like wasting my money to get the certain denial.

Just to follow up, our management nixed the idea of trying a group like this. My guess is they were afraid of "endorsing" something like this as if they were representing the military. So I'm all ears to any ideas or groups that have any ideas, I'm just not sure I feel like wasting my money to get the certain denial.

Drop a note to Nappen and see if he has any suggestions. Should the group decide to proceed, let us know and I will donate for sure.

Thats the point, you guys are the military and you have been targeted.

How strong was the nix? When I was on active duty, we got nixed on a few things but it was more of a nix and a wink, a yellow light, not a green or a red light. One time a high ranking officer told me, "if you don't ask, they cant say no"

Thats the point, you guys are the military and you have been targeted.

How strong was the nix? When I was on active duty, we got nixed on a few things but it was more of a nix and a wink, a yellow light, not a green or a red light. One time a high ranking officer told me, "if you don't ask, they cant say no"

From what I was told by the person spearheading it, they were not opposed to us attempting to put in for it, but they could not extend any endorsement or documentation from management showing approval from them.

20+ vets in a class action suite like this could be super easy to put together.  Nappan would probably get a big fat chubby over a case like this.  It a pro 2A attorneys dream team of plaintiffs. As far as paying for it.  Man this could be crowd funded, I'm sure if the vets stood up that many many NJ residents would support the case with crowd funding.  A class action, crowd funded lawsuit to defend the 2A rights of vets.  The antis would wet their pants.

I don't think so. While active military are at higher risks there is still danger to their spouses. Veterans are at risks as well. In reality anyone who publicly supports the military is at an increased risk.

Challenging the law in this manner would furrher weaken the "immediate and justifiable need" NJ requires. Several courts have ruled that self defense IS a valid reason to apply for CCW. NJ is already at odds with several courts on this issue. Now is exactly the the time for somethimg like this.

Sounds like a good case for a class action suit.  What better evidence than an imminent threat alert issued by the government as proof of need.  Who will say that vets/ad/reservists are not qualified to carry?  It is an indefensible argument.  20 vets apply the same week, wait for the anticipated rejection, file the law suit as a group. 

Count me in. Retired, but still a target.

PM me if you want to get something together.

I think the higher possibility of terrorism here in America should be the impetus for American discrete carry across the nation. It's our RIGHT to protect ourselves. It's unfortunate that American discrete carry would happen this way but what's the old axiom? It's better to have and not need than to need and not have. American discrete carry. It's about time.

I think the higher possibility of terrorism here in America should be the impetus for American discrete carry across the nation. It's our RIGHT to protect ourselves. It's unfortunate that American discrete carry would happen this way but what's the old axiom? It's better to have and not need than to need and not have. American discrete carry. It's about time.

in this state, you (any good person) would end up with felony charges and many years in jail for shooting a bad guy in a mall or any public place. If the state didn't get you the feds will call you a racist and charge you with a hate crime

in this state, you (any good person) would end up with felony charges and many years in jail for shooting a bad guy in a mall or any public place. If the state didn't get you the feds will call you a racist and charge you with a hate crime

But you're talking about the laws we have now. I'm talking about changing the laws and allowing we Americans to discrete carry. It feels like the tide is slowly, slowly turning.

Hi I wrote this post while I was in Afghanistan late last year. I am home now in NJ and just heard about the 4 Marines been killed today. I am now rethinking getting or trying to obtain my concealed carry permit for New Jersey. Does anyone have any advice on how to apply for this and also if I should write anything. As a military member we are at a higher chance of being targeted by terrorists groups just like what happened today. I feel it is my right to protect myself in this country after serving this country.

Any advice would be appreciated thank you

Hi I wrote this post while I was in Afghanistan late last year. I am home now in NJ and just heard about the 4 Marines been killed today. I am now rethinking getting or trying to obtain my concealed carry permit for New Jersey. Does anyone have any advice on how to apply for this and also if I should write anything. As a military member we are at a higher chance of being targeted by terrorists groups just like what happened today. I feel it is my right to protect myself in this country after serving this country.

First Thank You for your service.

Back when I was in the Service we were allowed to carry concealed off duty. When discharged it was A given that we were eligible for A concealed permit. If issued in our state of residence. Back in those days not many carried.

But the possibility of service related carry went away when Bill Clinton signed his anti 2A bill.

That by the way he stood in front of the press and apoligized for signing just recently.

Back to your question and original post.

Unfortunatly being in NJ, The answer is well known and not questionable as recent events, and even Christie's bulls--t statement wont make A difference.

Thank you sir for your service! You should, and do have the right to carry! Just not in New Jersey! There are politicians and gun range owners, especially in and around the Glassboro area of South Jersey who don't support CCW.

If you are willing to invest a little of your time, we are trying to change things here in NJ and could really use your help!!! PM me for more info if you are interested!

Reiterating ..welcome home and thank you for your service.

Personally, i think you should apply and use examples like the tragic shooting of our Marines in TN. There will be more attempts. CCWs may determine whether the attempts are successful or not. Have kids? Include their pictures.

Reference? If you have anyone prominent, even LEO in the county you are applying in, it could help. Know any Politicians? If they would provide a ref, it could help?

Should you be denied, go public with the outcome. People need to hear this nonsense.

Good luck.

Had one more thought...a little sarcasm here, so maybe indulge me.

File a restraining order request against ISIS.

There are politicians and gun range owners, especially in and around the Glassboro area of South Jersey who don't support CCW.

SHAMEFUL as it is, people like this are throughout our (gun owners) community. SHA

Are you considered on active duty?

2C:39-5 Unlawful possession of weapons.

j. A violation of subsection a., b., c. or f. of this section by a person who has a prior conviction of any of the crimes enumerated in subsection d. of section 2 of P.L.1997, c.117 (C.2C:43-7.2) is a first degree crime.

2C:39-6 Exemptions.

2C:39-6. a. Provided a person complies with the requirements of subsection j. of this section, N.J.S.2C:39-5 does not apply to:

(1) Members of the Armed Forces of the United States or of the National Guard while actually on duty, or while traveling between places of duty and carrying authorized weapons in the manner prescribed by the appropriate military authorities;

Are you considered on active duty?

2C:39-5 Unlawful possession of weapons.

j. A violation of subsection a., b., c. or f. of this section by a person who has a prior conviction of any of the crimes enumerated in subsection d. of section 2 of P.L.1997, c.117 (C.2C:43-7.2) is a first degree crime.

2C:39-6 Exemptions.

2C:39-6. a. Provided a person complies with the requirements of subsection j. of this section, N.J.S.2C:39-5 does not apply to:

(1) Members of the Armed Forces of the United States or of the National Guard while actually on duty, or while traveling between places of duty and carrying authorized weapons in the manner prescribed by the appropriate military authorities;

On duty means standing a post or performing a military duty which requires carrying a weapon. Active duty means you are currently serving full time in the military which does not necessarily mean that your current duties 

require carrying a weapon!

The second part is if you are transferring to another base and are told to bring your weapon with you as you travel between assignments that possession is legal in the PRNJ since US military orders trump NJ statutes!

So being on active duty alone does not permit any carry of any weapon under the exemptions.

In my 4 years in the US  Navy I would say I was authorized to carry a loaded weapon for about 2 hours in boot camp! That weapon was a .22 bolt action rifle!!!