Sign in to follow this  
DDT1345

Anyone have NICS trouble today? 12.22.14

Can't you have the FFL put in a NICS check ahead of picking up? I know I did it once before, might work out well if you are on a tight schedule

I didn't think about this until after I was already there. I'm going to try it in the future and wait for the to call me.

Heading back later today to see if the approval came in. Sorry to hear that other had trouble, but misery loves company :lol:

Why are there humans at NICS anyway? Can't a computer scan the documents and spit out a yes/no in seconds?

That's how it's done in most other states... But you know nj has to have their hands in it (p.o.c.).....correct me if I'm wrong...but i I thought I heard the nj "nics unit" isn't njsp... But just some clerical type contracted company?...over in de nics waits were under 5 mins when I was picking up a few things at cabelas....

We'll, I called the shop and they're still waiting. Says delayed due to some discrepancy with my SBI number. Could be days. So much for this being an Xmas gift for my wife. 00cba5ca2285118508f4e6f9b4f614d2.jpg

Nice pistol :)

If you could find someone with one in NJ you could do a FTF (face to face) purchase as you already have a P2P and avoid NICS.

Makes perfect sense, right? :p

Nice pistol :)

If you could find someone with one in NJ you could do a FTF (face to face) purchase as you already have a P2P and avoid NICS.

Makes perfect sense, right? :p

Yeah, perfect sense!

Too bad it's a transfer and I paid for that exact one already...

Maybe I'll take my wife there every so often to visit it.

Yeah, perfect sense!

Too bad it's a transfer and I paid for that exact one already...

Maybe I'll take my wife there every so often to visit it.

"Honey, look! it's for you. Merry Christmas! oh by the way..it might take a week or so before it can come home with us" :D

Hope it works out for you, what kind of discrepancy with the SBI number?

"Honey, look! it's for you. Merry Christmas! oh by the way..it might take a week or so before it can come home with us" :D

Hope it works out for you, what kind of discrepancy with the SBI number?

They didn't say. All I know is the guy at the shop said it was delayed due to that and asked me to confirm my number. I did and it checked out on his end and what he put into the system (and my P2P). It's not my first purchase, but it is my first in a long time (since 1999) . So I don't know what could be going on... We'll see...

If she is going to be the eventual owner, can't she go and get it herself - assuming she has a permit for you to transfer it to her already.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Unless he intends to remain the legal owner and not transfer the pistol to her, similar to how people in NJ buy a rifle or pistol for son/daughter?

They didn't say. All I know is the guy at the shop said it was delayed due to that and asked me to confirm my number. I did and it checked out on his end and what he put into the system (and my P2P). It's not my first purchase, but it is my first in a long time (since 1999) . So I don't know what could be going on... We'll see...

Wow that's a long time, and as long as the SBI is correct that seems strange?? Hope it works out for you :)

SBI Number length or sequence changed some time ago. Mine was issued in 1988 and I also did not purchase anything for years here in NJ.  When I went for a reciever through NJ NICS I was delayed as well. Have been told since my SBI number is to short and may not work, but it finally goes through.  Then to complicate matters I have the same name (MI the same, name different) as my dad who had passed, so after waiting was told I was dead. Only thing that cleared it up was using my SSN, even with different addresses, but we did live next door to one another.  They are anything but efficient.

If she is going to be the eventual owner, can't she go and get it herself - assuming she has a permit for you to transfer it to her already.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

She isn't a gun enthusiasts really, this would be her first to get her into it. No FID or anything, so she can't be the owner yet. If she gets into it, we could get her all the right docs and do a transfer.

SBI Number length or sequence changed some time ago. Mine was issued in 1988 and I also did not purchase anything for years here in NJ. When I went for a reciever through NJ NICS I was delayed as well. Have been told since my SBI number is to short and may not work, but it finally goes through. Then to complicate matters I have the same name (MI the same, name different) as my dad who had passed, so after waiting was told I was dead. Only thing that cleared it up was using my SSN, even with different addresses, but we did live next door to one another. They are anything but efficient.

Thanks for the info. This helps me feel a little better about the wait. However, I did give my SSN.

My SBI is 7 characters, 6 #s then 1 letter. Issued January 1999. What are the more recent ones?

How have subsequent checks gone for you since?

Thanks for the info. This helps me feel a little better about the wait. However, I did give my SSN.

My SBI is 7 characters, 6 #s then 1 letter. Issued January 1999. What are the more recent ones?

Mine is also 6 digits and ends with the letter E, so 7 characters.

Issued 2013

I still use my SSN and sometimes they fly through and other times takes longer, however never returned delayed.  But still takes longer than normal according to my FFL.

Airhead state workers IMHO. 

So I have another handgun waiting for me there. I didn't fill out an exemption since the whole OGAM law was news to me when I got my new permits. Anyway, I'll be waiting the 30 days to pick that one up. Anyone know when the clock starts ticking on that? Is it the day the NICS check is started or the day it's approved? It would suck it this is just tacking on extra days to my wait.

So I have another handgun waiting for me there. I didn't fill out an exemption since the whole OGAM law was news to me when I got my new permits. Anyway, I'll be waiting the 30 days to pick that one up. Anyone know when the clock starts ticking on that? Is it the day the NICS check is started or the day it's approved? It would suck it this is just tacking on extra days to my wait.

Next time you go pistol shopping do the exemption, turn around is fast with no OGAM.