I wouldn't mind if the police didnt show up. If i could legally do so, i would GLADLY clear the building out myself, however that isn't an option, and i am therefore stuck sitting in front of the property waiting for police to show up in hopes that the perps already left so i dont get shot. (To be clear, it is a multi-unit building; has like 4 or 5 storefronts, two fairly large units on a 2nd floor and a 6000+sqft warehouse in the back).

I'd love to do so, however the fact of the matter is, its taken him 3 years to get his permit and he was in a much more dire situation that i am. I collect checks on occasion, but don't handle cash all too often there.. 
I KNOW i will be denied, and i also KNOW that this case won't do anything for me if it took him that long to get his. I simply DO NOT have the money for it.
If Almeida is pushed out of the case now that he got his permit, i'd gladly fill in his spot however i am a 22 year old with dual citizenship (though i AM American-Born) and am probably not the best front for this cause....
You want the 45 year old computer programmer, not the little kid who wants to play gi-joe (or at least thats how the dems will see it).

I wouldn't mind if the police didnt show up. If i could legally do so, i would GLADLY clear the building out myself, however that isn't an option, and i am therefore stuck sitting in front of the property waiting for police to show up in hopes that the perps already left so i dont get shot. (To be clear, it is a multi-unit building; has like 4 or 5 storefronts, two fairly large units on a 2nd floor and a 6000+sqft warehouse in the back).

I'd love to do so, however the fact of the matter is, its taken him 3 years to get his permit and he was in a much more dire situation that i am. I collect checks on occasion, but don't handle cash all too often there..

I KNOW i will be denied, and i also KNOW that this case won't do anything for me if it took him that long to get his. I simply DO NOT have the money for it.

If Almeida is pushed out of the case now that he got his permit, i'd gladly fill in his spot however i am a 22 year old with dual citizenship (though i AM American-Born) and am probably not the best front for this cause....

You want the 45 year old computer programmer, not the little kid who wants to play gi-joe (or at least thats how the dems will see it).

If he had the right lawyer from the get go he would have had his permit in a month like he just got. That's the kicker. Like I said apply, get denied then join the case. Your age and dual citizenship means nothing. You're a legal age adult with a pretty good reason for obtaining a permit. Best part is, the case is already going so you can just jump in. When they need another plantiff. The legwork is done, and the team is hired.

My thing is the lawsuit is about proving the plaintiffs meet justifiable need - like you said, apply and get denied and join the suit.

Sure I'll join the suit.  my "justifiable need" is the 2nd Amendment and the need to protect myself and my family outside my home - am I supposed to have a judge not laugh at me in the courtroom after all Almeida, Tuminelli have gone through and the hoops and hurdles?  Should I hire a thug and pay him $100 to stick me up somewhere so I have it on record I was assaulted?  Would that make my permit get issued quickly if I join the suit?

They need more press time not about actually getting their permits issued because they "meet the standard" but talking it up how absolutely ri-god-damn-diculous it is to have this in the first place - I shouldn't have to have a sworn affidavit proving I've had prior violent threats or confrontations in order to exercise my right

Also wondering if Albert's CCW is unrestricted - As they are so rare in NJ - does it say "only during business hours" like the handful of security guards/PI's or does he have a regular LEO permit and can take his kids to the diner on Saturday morning in Stanhope and carry his pistol?

Just my few thoughts about the case is all, again, very happy for Albert and the progress being made, I just want to know how they are going to burn down the asinine no issue-unless-you-get-mugged-raped-or-held-at-gun-point-and-hire-a-great-lawyer-because-no-one-gets-CCW standard in this state.

^Another great point.. and you are absolutely right. I, too, am worried that its going to reinforce the whole JN thing, rather than get rid of it. And id bet the permit hes going to get has the same BS restrictions as everyone else. He can only carry while working, so he'll just get jumped at 5:01 instead of 4:59...

My thing is the lawsuit is about proving the plaintiffs meet justifiable need - like you said, apply and get denied and join the suit.

Sure I'll join the suit. my "justifiable need" is the 2nd Amendment and the need to protect myself and my family outside my home - am I supposed to have a judge not laugh at me in the courtroom after all Almeida, Tuminelli have gone through and the hoops and hurdles? Should I hire a thug and pay him $100 to stick me up somewhere so I have it on record I was assaulted? Would that make my permit get issued quickly if I join the suit?

They need more press time not about actually getting their permits issued because they "meet the standard" but talking it up how absolutely ri-god-damn-diculous it is to have this in the first place - I shouldn't have to have a sworn affidavit proving I've had prior violent threats or confrontations in order to exercise my right

Also wondering if Albert's CCW is unrestricted - As they are so rare in NJ - does it say "only during business hours" like the handful of security guards/PI's or does he have a regular LEO permit and can take his kids to the diner on Saturday morning in Stanhope and carry his pistol?

Just my few thoughts about the case is all, again, very happy for Albert and the progress being made, I just want to know how they are going to burn down the asinine no issue-unless-you-get-mugged-raped-or-held-at-gun-point-and-hire-a-great-lawyer-because-no-one-gets-CCW standard in this state.

I'm guessing his permit is unrestricted, since gang bangers can leave Newark to come to his house, and kill him and his family, as they've threatened to do. But I don't know that for sure.

^So then he got the politician/LEO permit - not the BS "security guard" permit - good for him -

Will keep my eyes peeled on what happens going forward - I'm sure Tuminelli will get his and then the real story begins - as you said in the other thread apparently there are people involved that are denied because they just want to carry for self defense - show me some victories there and I'll be reconsidering leaving this garbage state - maybe.

EDIT:  I'm still out of here, but would be interesting to see some rights come back.

• Like 1

^So then he got the politician/LEO permit - not the BS "security guard" permit - good for him -

Will keep my eyes peeled on what happens going forward - I'm sure Tuminelli will get his and then the real story begins - as you said in the other thread apparently there are people involved that are denied because they just want to carry for self defense - show me some victories there and I'll be reconsidering leaving this garbage state - maybe.

As stupid as it may sound; i can deal with a lot of NJ's BS Firearms laws.... I can still order ammo online and while buying handguns is a PITA, i really don't need, nor can i afford too many so i can deal with it.. The whole not being able to carry when i am in very, very bad areas/situations is a HUGE no-go for me, though. That could make or break whether i move further south in NJ or completely out of the state as soon as i can.

I clarified

As stupid as it may sound; i can deal with a lot of NJ's BS Firearms laws.... I can still order ammo online (for now, wait until Christie leaves) and while buying handguns is a PITA, i really don't need, nor can i afford too many so i can deal with it (if we had an ability to get CCW in this state like in many other states your carry permit serves as a pistol purchase permit, that I am fine with but the handgun purchasing thing is ridiculous here - my wallet can't afford it either way). The whole not being able to carry when i am in very, very bad areas/situations is a HUGE no-go for me, though. That could make or break whether i move further south in NJ or completely out of the state as soon as i can.

Trust me its not happening this year - and I don't have years to wait for this but I will support them in the meantime, but I am still out of here.  Paying 1/4 the property taxes and being able to actually have a semblence of freedom is more important to me than saying I live in Jersey at this time in my life.

I clarified

Trust me its not happening this year - and I don't have years to wait for this but I will support them in the meantime, but I am still out of here. Paying 1/4 the property taxes and being able to actually have a semblence of freedom is more important to me than saying I live in Jersey at this time in my life.

For sale sign is on my lawn. I'm with you on that. I can move 24 miles west to America, I still need to come here every day to run my business, so I still have some interest in NJ going shall issue as well.

EDIT:  I'm still out of here, but would be interesting to see some rights come back.

For many of us guns can't be the determining factor of staying or not. If I were single I'd give my house away (basically what I'll have to do anyway) and move to PA. But alas...

If I could I'd be out of this state. Unfortunately, Christie passed a residency requirement and I'm stuck here for now. I'd love to live in America and not pay out the ass in taxes to subsidize other districts.

I am very happy for Albert Almeida...he fought long and hard for this. He deserves this.

However, how does this help us on the macro level? Not poo-pooing, just want to read other forumites thoughts/opinions on how this helps us get CCW in NJ.

I am very happy for Albert Almeida...he fought long and hard for this. He deserves this.

However, how does this help us on the macro level? Not poo-pooing, just want to read other forumites thoughts/opinions on how this helps us get CCW in NJ.

Until it becomes "mainstream" news in the liberal rags we are subjected to, and not something we read about in a TAG blip, it means little. 

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/08/robert-farago/new-jersey-issues-landlord-concealed-carry-permit-after-a-three-year-battle/

We were discussing just what you asked, PD2K, either in this thread or another Almeida/ PO6 Thread; i believe this was the one: 
http://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/82042-po6-nj-carry-challenge-count-i-%E2%80%93-violation-of-the-second-amendment/page-8

Generally speaking, the aim of this suit is to at a minimum get them to put- ON PAPER - what Justifiable Need even means. What this suit proved; and what NJ admitted; is that Almeida DID have justifiable need but was STILL turned down, only to have them turn around and issue him a permit and admit that they should have done so AFTER he went through the hassle of taking them to court for a long, long time. So, either NJ is breaking their own rules, or there is some unknown definition of 'justifiable need' that we dont know. Currently, it appears that even if you have J.N., you get denied and have to FIGHT for them to give you the permit. If, however, it is ON PAPER that JN is XYZ, and you fit the bill and they deny you, it'd make everyones life much easier. Ultimately, the goal is obviously Concealed or open carry for all who can legally own a firearm in NJ. But, if we can get "Justifiable need" and its definition put on paper, other than what any individual PO or Judge thinks, it's a big start in the uphill battle. The next step would be to get the Supreme court (which will hopefully be right leaning)to rule that their JN standards are unconstitutional, but that will not happen anytime soon. 

We were discussing just what you asked, PD2K, either in this thread or another Almeida/ PO6 Thread; i believe this was the one: 

http://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/82042-po6-nj-carry-challenge-count-i-%E2%80%93-violation-of-the-second-amendment/page-8

Generally speaking, the aim of this suit is to at a minimum get them to put- ON PAPER - what Justifiable Need even means. What this suit proved; and what NJ admitted; is that Almeida DID have justifiable need but was STILL turned down, only to have them turn around and issue him a permit and admit that they should have done so AFTER he went through the hassle of taking them to court for a long, long time. So, either NJ is breaking their own rules, or there is some unknown definition of 'justifiable need' that we dont know. Currently, it appears that even if you have J.N., you get denied and have to FIGHT for them to give you the permit. If, however, it is ON PAPER that JN is XYZ, and you fit the bill and they deny you, it'd make everyones life much easier. Ultimately, the goal is obviously Concealed or open carry for all who can legally own a firearm in NJ. But, if we can get "Justifiable need" and its definition put on paper, other than what any individual PO or Judge thinks, it's a big start in the uphill battle. The next step would be to get the Supreme court (which will hopefully be right leaning)to rule that their JN standards are unconstitutional, but that will not happen anytime soon. 

Thanks dude...I'm surprised I never read that thread before.

Well, like the rest of you, I'm happy for Albert Almeida, I really am. He worked really hard to prove that he had justifiable need.

But unless there's something I'm missing, this does nothing to lessen or remove the impossible "justifiable need" standard (a modern-day Catch 22),

and does nothing to to help the rest of us.

Frank this is what I said when this started. It won't change anything but for he guys in the lawsuit.

Frank this is what I said when this started. It won't change anything but for he guys in the lawsuit.

You can send a thank you letter to the ANJRPC, for screwing up with Drake for that. That case is part of the reason we're in the situation we're still in.

Pls explain.

The Drake decision set the precedence for the state to have a ruling by the 3rd circuit, in their favor for Justifiable need being constitutional. The ANJRPC lawyers, Bach and Nappen, screwed up and lost. Now that hurdle has to be overcome beyond the 3rd circut. That decision set us back big time.

The Drake decision set the precedence for the state to have a ruling by the 3rd circuit, in their favor for Justifiable need being constitutional. The ANJRPC lawyers, Bach and Nappen, screwed up and lost. Now that hurdle has to be overcome beyond the 3rd circut. That decision set us back big time.

I'm not defending them by any means but the fact they lost doesn't mean it was due to some mistake on their part. As I recall the court simply let NJ law stand. That's more or less a default ruling, especially by the 3rd Circuit on this particular issue.

I'm not defending them by any means but the fact they lost doesn't mean it was due to some mistake on their part. As I recall the court simply let NJ law stand. That's more or less a default ruling, especially by the 3rd Circuit on this particular issue.

Some would argue they used the wrong angle.

Mr. Almeida speaks:

This is a long post, so I am sorry for it...But try to read and absorb what I am saying:

I have held back my opinions somewhat over the last year or so to a certain degree because I was told I needed to be cordial, or to wait and see what happens. Crap, I was even called a “fanatic” by some.

Now that this case is over, it is like a huge pile of heavy PC BULLSHIT off my shoulders. And yes, I am to a certain degree happy that it is over. But at the same time, it is disappointing. Because the end goal for Mike and I was to force NJ to fall and respect the 2A rights of us all in NJ. We failed at that goal.

When I first started, this case in 2013, I had a serious death threat, I was chased by, threatened and had to avoid doing my work in certain areas all because I disrupted the life style of a Bloods gang member. I applied for a carry permit shortly after this initial incident. I was denied because I was still alive and the former Police chief from my town and the courts did not take my incident serious enough. The denying judge stated the following:

1:I could conduct my business in a different matter
2:I could Shut down my business
3:I could hire a private body guard

I was up on the witness stand for 20 minutes, being cross examined by the prosecutor as if I was a criminal, fighting to stay out of a prison, not fighting for my 2A rights and desire to stay alive by having a sidearm that would greatly increase my chances when the day would come that I would need it.

After leaving the stand and listening to my legal representation, I realized that I was alone and did not have any real fighters on my side. It was very disappointing, but it was even more disappointing having to write a check for the fees at the end for a job that was mediocre at best. I’ve been around a lot of attorneys during my professional career, and the PC is disheartening, especially when you notice they don’t speak up the facts. At that time, it was what it was.

It took almost another year to get my case up to the NJ appellate courts. But before getting on their calendar, it was discussed with the counselor at that time that the end goal was to BY-pass the NJSC and go directly to the Federal level and eventually up to the SCOTUS. We knew it would be costly, so, I on my own accord reached out to several NJ 2A organizations. To be fair, at that time the NJ2AS was being led by the former president JF. He made it abundantly clear that he wanted nothing to do with my case. I presented all of the documents to him, A solid case that met the “Justifiable need” but I was told “NJ already has a solid case pending, it’s called Pantano V. NJ” My response was, it is not a solid case, there was no actual specific threats, just a fear of being a victim. I also asked, why not have a backup case, ready to go, a plan and I was mocked, laughed at and told “THEY DO, it’s called Drake V NJ” Yet, that was another case with no actual specific threat, just a fear of being a victim. I sat down at length with Mr. Drake, he was solicited and brought into being a plaintiff, even he knew his chances were slim at winning.. Well, ladies and Gents, we all know what happen to both of those cases, right?

They failed. Pantano was self-dropped after NJSC reneged on their decision to hear the case and the Drake case was denied cert, Now, some people say it was because of Justice Kennedy, some other sources say because the case was poorly presented. Who knows? But what we do know is that it failed and the 3rd circuit decision stands.

I also reached out to the other NJ 2A organizations, they call themselves the ANJRPC, AKA NJ STATE NRA. I reached out to them many times, and many times I was ignored. Maybe because they were handling the Drake case and wanted that case to win? And then when it failed they were heartbroken? I reached out to the National NRA then, they told me the only request for representation and funds would have to come from my attorney or the State NRA Rep. Well, neither asked or wanted to ask the NRA to get behind the case. They didnt want the case to move forward...WHY?

I then reached out to Allan G at the SAF, Allan was SO EXCITED, HE PERSONALLY CALLED MY WITHIN AN HOUR OF MY EMAIL. He came to NJ shortly after and the plan to go to SCOTUS WAS ON ITS WAY, this time with SAF financially supporting this case. I was invited to attend the Gun Rights conference in Chicago, it was a few months after meeting Allan in NJ and discussing the Plans with my Legal counsel. But it was here, in Chicago, that I learned 2 things.

1: My lawyer sucks at returning calls, emails and keeping a scheduled meeting. The communications were almost nonexistent, and Allan from SAF took notice of that and expressed his concerns to me about that.
2: Larry Pratt is an AWESOME guy, who hates PC, despises spineless people and even more, spineless people from NJ. Yes, he hates those people in NJ that don’t fight or lack the energy to fight. It was an interesting private long conversation with him. I felt like I was his clone son…my feelings were mutual.

When I got home after the conference, I was emailed a few more times by Allan, asking me to have my lawyer return his phone calls. Now, that’s pathetic, that I had to tell my lawyer to return the calls of the SAF founder??

Almost a year went by before the case was heard at the appellate level, I was denied a hearing and the 3 judge panel ruled against my appeal, but they further went on to say “Mr Almeida failed to show SUBSTANTIAL BODILY HARM” It was confirmed to us in NJ, you must be seriously hurt or killed first in order to get approved. You think this is sad? What is sad is that I had to hear about this decision that I had no idea was scheduled for Aug. 14, from Mr. Mark Cheeseman, not from the guy that I personally wrote a large check to for the case and that was being financed from by SAF after the superior court ruling…I only heard from him a few weeks later, via a letter, stating the case was denied and he had to think of the next plan of action..that plan of action SAT FOR 8 months until i decided to go elsewhere.

After this ruling, I emailed, called, texted, multiple times over a few weeks to express my interest in moving it up to SCOTUS and to see if the plan was still in play, for all of us. I was under the assumption, from our previous conversations on the plans, that we would be filling for a Federal/SCOTUS run. 8, EIGHT…OCHO, months later, I gave up trying to communicate with the parties involved. I got the hint, they were no longer interested. SAF realized there was no interest and they ceased the support.

Now I am not alone, Mike, my co-plaintiff was also making multiple attempts to communicate with the law firm, with ANJRPC, and others, but he was ignored just like me…WHY? Mike was an IRAQ war Veteran, who now works for the DoD, he was one of the veterans that had their personal information compromised by ISIS, the same information that the FBI released a statement confirming their potential danger of being a victim of an ISIS attack.

It was only after all of this VALUABLE wasted time, that we were put in contact with our new law team, Steve. The contact will remain confidential, because he is an insider with the NRA HQ, but is frustrated by the NJ politics and spineless leaders that we have here. He sees, and understands our frustration, but is not from NJ.

After almost 2 years of starting this fight, I was mostly alone with little to no support, eventually Mike, Mark, David Schulze and a few others jumped on board. Some fought hard, some keep fighting and refuse to give up (Mark Cheeseman, you high energy sick FANATIC).

Since those 2 years, the original gang banger that wanted me dead, was killed in front of his 2 kids on the way to their school by another gang banger. But my dangers and threats only increased. Since my first denial, I have been chased by others in a car trying to rob me, an attempted armed robbery at another location failed and I disrupted a major drug operation at one of my managed buildings that involved 7 apartments, 3 different gang affiliates; the Bloods, The Crips and the Latin Kings. All three are hardcore ruthless gangs in NJ and I disrupted thousands of dollars in drug sales...Not cool doing that in NJ?. My workers were held up and shot at, all because they wanted to send me a message, my building was shot up and graffiti was tagged with death symbols referencing me.

I was told by the Essex County Prosecutors office that I dismantled a drug operation in 6 months that they have been trying to do for the last 15 years. I was confronted a few times by these gang bangers, trying to intimidate me, and at that time I had nothing but a pocket knife, a large flash lights or at other times, items not to be disclosed because of NJ’s insane laws to help defend myself against these guys.

It was only after I filed for the new case with Steve and his team in Federal courts that I was called to go see someone at a certain location and that something was going to happen for me. Yes, 2 months after, I get a call from Steve that I was getting a carry permit.

We decided to keep the case active, because from the start, this case was more than just about me, or Mike. It was about all of us in NJ. But how do you eliminate the threat that has a strong case in NJ? Silence them. I was mooted.

I cannot speak for Mike, but at the beginning, I know he originally withdrew his appeal because of the lack of support, the lack of energy from those so-called leaders in NJ, He was frustrated. But I sucked him back into keep fighting, I wanted many more to join us. I wanted a mass carry application operation, a massive class action law suit. But it can’t be done with minimal support. Because of our aggressiveness in asking for action, to fight for all of you, we were insulted by our 2A family, called FANATICS by lawyers, told we had weak cases by State NRA Reps (So weak, that I won?), we were told now was not the time to sue NJ because we didn’t want to upset Gov. Christie because he was running for POTUS (how did that work out for us?) and we were told not to cause waves because we would jeopardize the NOW FAILED EO 180. (how did that work out for yall?)

Yes, we were called fanatics, threats to NJ already nonexistent gun rights, RENEGADES, and other bullshit by the same people that claim to be fighting for your 2A rights in NJ but ask for donations and votes. By Lawyers, 2A so called leaders, EVENT organizer’s, pod cast hosts from South Jersey and a few of their loyal blind sheeple.

Many of you stepped up, donated what you could, some a lot. You gave words of encouragement, support, called, texted and did what you could to help. But out of 1.7 million gun owners in NJ, 30 to 50 of us will not make a difference. We are our worst enemy. Many would rather spend money on Cigarettes or beer, many would rather be more concerned about the METS or Eagles, but lack the energy to fight for a basic right?

Now imagine if HALF of the 1.7 Million ppl that hold FID cards in NJ would put that energy that they have during a jets game but towards fighting for this right to protect yourself or a family member? or a few bucks each towards a campaign? We would be unstoppable, we would be FEARED like a wild, rapid Gorilla in Trenton, the politicians would have no choice but to bow down and respect us, because we would be a very powerful voice in NJ, bigger than any Union in this State. But we are not, we are broken, we are being led by spineless leaders, we have lawyers that profit from your misery and they don’t want to see that financial profit dissipate. So, keep breaking that insane law and call that Guy. Or go buy a book that tells you, your rights to defend yourself in NJ SUCK, just in case you didn’t know that already. I wasted almost 2 years getting my case to a Federal judge, would this outcome be different if we had filed early, as planned? Maybe, but the Judges had two years lead time to go ahead and give me what I should have gotten in the first time around..2 years they had lead time. But because of the lack of movement on the 2A side and the new developments with me after, they (the courts), beat us before a Federal ruling could be made.

So, in closing. I want to thank those of you that stood by me and Mike since day one, I want to Thank Mike for doing what he does, and did. Mark, for being a relentless patriot, Dave for all of his work in the Back ground, many of you that donated, some of you large (you know who you are David Padua), I want to thank Alexander P. Roubian for jumping in to the fight and his support after he took over at NJ2AS, and David Rosenthal (rosie) for his support as well. Steve, Alan, Ryan, who are from other States and had no financial gain out of this (they have more of a loss financially due to many of their hard work unbilled) but they belive in us and they want to see us win. And to that Secret Guy that made this possible to all happen, Thank you (you know who you are 1f60a.png ) But sadly, I must say goodbye and wish you all the best in prevailing in NJ.

Get rid of the wheel chocks, get rid of the low energy representation you have in NJ, get rid of the Nay Sayers, stop funding them until they produce. Demand accountability and until then, SHOW THEM THAT NO QUARTER SHALL BE GIVEN>>>REGARDLESS WHO THEY ARE

Thank you, god bless you, RISE UP and demand your rights from these JUNKIES. SOMEONE GRAB THE BATON AND RUN WITH IT.

Im OUT!

Albert Almeida

Gura and Jensen, who do much work for SAF, were the attorney's for the Drake case at the 3rd Circuit and SCOTUS, not Bach and Nappen.

Some would argue they used the wrong angle.

So the guy who argued Heller & McDonald screwed it all up?  

I know that this stuff is hard to keep track of and follow in detail, but its hard to assign credibility to the opinions of people who don't get the basic facts right.  

Gura and Jensen, who do much work for SAF, were the attorney's for the Drake case at the 3rd Circuit and SCOTUS, not Bach and Nappen.

So the guy who argued Heller & McDonald screwed it all up?

I know that this stuff is hard to keep track of and follow in detail, but its hard to assign credibility to the opinions of people who don't get the basic facts right.

They backed the wrong case. It was doomed from the start.