BlueLineFish

To Tavor or Not to Tavor

Here is my x95, very handy weapon, she feels lighter, smaller than the tavor i had last year, even though they are the same. The trigger is night and day, alot smoother and lighter pull. Now to look for a nice light optic. I wanna thank tier one defense and homeland guns for handling a nice smooth transaction for me.

20160516_185358.jpg

My Tavor. Ordered a Factory Refurb LH Model from Old West Scrounger in a fit of overtiredness from working long hours. I could not be happier after putting 100rds through it yesterday. I was able to get it on paper with a 3" group offhand at 50yds and it was Minute of Man at 300yds off of a rest. Those shot were with a TA11 3.5 ACOG and using two eyes open. More on that later.

I received the rifle Thurs from TJ's Sporting Arms (big shout out for his patience and ease of scheduling) and got it home and started some small modifications. Probably the nicest rifle package I have ever opened. Comes with the best manual i have ever read, a very useful cleaning kit, sight tool

Gieselle Trigger went in first. ( I did not even want to experience the MOE trigger. The Gieselle was purchased on sale for $250 )
Manticore Curved Buttstock Pad. ( This is 100% required as the original pad is to tacky, and mishaped. )
Midwest Industries Tavor Extended Keymod Handguard with 1" Light Kit and a Primary Arms 700 Lumen Light ( The light unfortunately crapped the bed after X amount of rds. It will be going back to PA )

Magpul SVG

Slapped the ACOG on and away we go. One thing about this rifle is the EASE, and let me repeat the EASE which one can use an ACOG sight on in the correct fashion. Once you find the correct eye relief position for the unit, I was able to focus both eyes beyond the sight/rifle on the target area and have the optic appear in my FOV. No repositioning no moving of head. Its there and its usable and its accurate. 5 hits on an 8" steel plate at 50yards... no problem. 300 yard Man sized paper target of a bench / elbows... no problem. Now I want to really dial in the accuracy. I am going to get a rest or a bipod and see if I can get this down to 1" or under at 50yds. I have some different weight rounds I want to try as well.

Function was flawless... no a big test yet but no issues. Only hangup I caused with a weak bolt pull and release. Mag drops and changes are stupid fast and easy with the bolt release right at your thumb. Balance and weight are so nice, it seems to a really nice mixture. Like a really good baseball bat, it heavy enough to drive a ball with without being whippy or to fast with through the strike zone.

Overall... Great purchase. a ton of upside and potential. Small issues, such as learning to feel when the mag runs dry as it is not have a a big tactile alteration when empty, gas escaping the right hand ejection port making my left eye water on two shots. Overall a 9 out of 10 !!!!

AFTER / BEFORE PHOTOS.

post-1225-0-63746500-1464013475_thumb.jpg

post-1225-0-24109800-1464013653_thumb.jpg

Copper Custom took my order paid in full with postal money order but has not shipped my X95 yet... I assume if they did not ship to NJ they would have said something... My FFL does compliance work so he accepts non compliant firearms..

My concern now is all the 3-5MOA accuracy reports on the x95... I was not expecting a snipper rifle but 2MOA with quality ammo does not seem unrealistic.

Since the bolt and trigger between the Tavor and the X95 are interchangeable I assumed the accuracy would be about the same. Is there any chance this is something IWI can fix? If not I was thinking about canceling the order and getting an LWRC IC A5.

My X95 is waiting for pickup at G&S Hunters... I ask for the barrel to be cut back when the break is pinned...

I ordered a VG6 Epsilion break but the packaging references flash suppression and the three prong tip was too risky... I then was ordering a phase 5 tactical Fatman but that looks to big in the overall diameter so I did not pull the trigger...

Any suggestions for a cool looking break....

My X95 is waiting for pickup at G&S Hunters... I ask for the barrel to be cut back when the break is pinned...

I ordered a VG6 Epsilion break but the packaging references flash suppression and the three prong tip was too risky... I then was ordering a phase 5 tactical Fatman but that looks to big in the overall diameter so I did not pull the trigger...

Any suggestions for a cool looking break....

What are the asking for it at G&S?

I'de be more interested in a functional break

I just picked up a Mepro M21...

which reticle did you get? I like the triangle 

That is what I got as well.. I hope to be able to use the tip to get a little more accuracy at distance... I picked up a cheap 3x magnifier.... If it works out I may get the Mepro m6 magnifier but it cost as much as the sight.... Going to have to really want it first. I hope to get it to the range next weekend.

I apologize, but I coudn't find a definitive answer to this.

Question: Beings the Tavors do not have collapsible stocks, that removes 1 evil feature from the typical AR dilemma... Isn't the hider ok to have at this point?

The SA M1A rifles are not affected legally with their flash hiders... why the Tavors?

I apologize, but I coudn't find a definitive answer to this.

Question: Beings the Tavors do not have collapsible stocks, that removes 1 evil feature from the typical AR dilemma... Isn't the hider ok to have at this point?

The SA M1A rifles are not affected legally with their flash hiders... why the Tavors?

pistol grip (debatable) and removable magazine

So does the AR line.... They have collapsible stock, pistol grip, removable mag, threaded barrel, etc. Pin stock and barrel. Brings it down to 2 evil features.

With the Tavor, it does not have collapsible stock. That's one less than the ARs.... see what I'm getting at?

The M1A has removable mag but has hider... Obviously no pistol grip or collabsible stock.

Hence, the clarification and why I'm confused a tad. :)

pistol grip (debatable) and removable magazine

Detachable mag is qualifier, not evil feature, so you can have one feature, which is usually a pistol grip. As mentioned, the Tavor has that like an AR, so a brake needs to be pinned on eliminating the barrel threads.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

Detachable mag is qualifier, not evil feature, so you can have one feature, which is usually a pistol grip. As mentioned, the Tavor has that like an AR, so a brake needs to be pinned on eliminating the barrel threads.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

Gotchya, thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk