Sign in to follow this  
RobertJames

another npap stock thread

I bought an m70 npap a few months ago, and didn't think the high comb on the butt stock would be an issue.  Well, I was wrong.  I was wondering if anyone has ever recontoured their existing stock and refinished it, and how it came out.  I've been looking around and there is an adapter from Krebs , but I don't know what else is necessary.  I want to keep a wood stock, not into plastic on an AK.  Looking at the wooden stock sets that are available for the npap, they appear to have the same profile as what is already on the rifle.  Please help a nOOb out.

I was also concerned about the much talked about cheek slap when I took my NPAP out for the first time this weekend; however, before heading out, I happened on this video and took note of how he's got his cheek positioned on the stock. I did my best to get into the same position and I can honestly say that I got zero "slap" from the gun after firing 200+ rounds:

I think that, just as the guy in the video says, is to bring the gun to your face and not your face to the gun.

(Shakes dust off thread)  Well, finally got around to trying something.  I read a thread on AKfiles about modifying the buttstock where it meets the rear trunion.  Basically, the stock is removed, and with a rasp remove wood at the bottom of the stock, tapering up to the top.  this effectively drops the rear of the stock, or raises the receiver depending on your point of view.  Here's some pics.

Not mine, didn't think to take a pic beforehand.

12003405_1108033422558810_87932813519055

After

c0e4ef01-104e-4328-a53d-5d1caa728b2a_zps

Haven't shot it yet, but feels better.  I have a much better sight picture with what feels like a much more natural cheek hold.  I don't have to stretch my neck so far forward.  Will update with a range report, hopefully next weekend.  

Figured I'd bump this rather than start a new thread.  I was at a LGS yesterday and was looking at an npap that they had on the shelf.  It had a normal stock.  I checked Century International's site this morning and found that they have a Warsaw Pact style stock that fits pap style rifles for sale, for $60.  Linky