pitt1717

Cherry Ridge Question

so I'm thinking about joining this range. but had a couple of questions if someone knows as i didn't see it in the faqs etc on the site

so i pay my orientation and membership fees. do i need to pay to use the range after that? or do i just show up and have at it?

is there any moving while shooting, pistol/rifle? draw from holster? or is this just a plinking range?

what do people think of this range?

Range use is unlimited for paid members.

No moving

No drawing from holsters

There is a 5 stand shotgun range, 30 cents a clay

I like the range, but being told that a range flag through the cylinder of a revolver is not safe or through the action into the magwell of a Semi is also not safe, I got fed up and let my membership lapse after 4 years. There's more to it than that, like the lack of expansion or just in general ANJRPC's Fudd leadership.

If you can go during the week, you'll love it.  If you can only go on weekends expect to get treated like you've never handled a firearm for the last 40 years.  I'm not talking about sweeping someone or being a range nuisance ...I'm talking about being told you can't lean a target against the shooting table while you wait on a cease fire.  Presumably because someone will see it behind the shooting line,  think it's a live target, turn sideways down the line start blasting it.  Also, If you shoot the berm without a piece of paper in front of it, expect to get a tongue lashing or thrown out!   I mean, if you rest on the table and shoot the top of your target and it goes into the woods, that's ok but if you purposefully aim at the berm without a piece of cardboard to slow the bullet down, you're an evil unsafe person.(no, it wasn't me, but I was there).

wow, thats some feedback. ty. being in union county, I'm just trying to find a range within an hour (or so) so i can shoot my ar and pistol.i'd love to get a little movement, draw from holster but its not a deal breaker by any means. and while I'm not the most seasoned shooter and am all for safety, i don't want to be treated like an ass either. i just don't know where to go... 

my buddy takes me down to dix and its ok but if he's there and i go somewhere else, we would be able to switch it up now and again

pay your dues once a yr, go during the week and forget about the insider politcs(leadership) and its a great place, thats my plan.. I've never had an issue with the RO's but I only go on weekdays for the past 4/5 yrs and its like a private club at times with no one else at the range I'm at. I get along with the RO's fine, never an issue but I can understand it getting a bit more intense on Sats/Sundays. And yes, its a static range, no drawing from holsters but I do sneek in some fast pickups off the bench when no one else is around. Well except the cameras.... 

Range use is unlimited for paid members.

No moving

No drawing from holsters

There is a 5 stand shotgun range, 30 cents a clay

I like the range, but being told that a range flag through the cylinder of a revolver is not safe or through the action into the magwell of a Semi is also not safe, I got fed up and let my membership lapse after 4 years. There's more to it than that, like the lack of expansion or just in general ANJRPC's Fudd leadership.

If you can go during the week, you'll love it.  If you can only go on weekends expect to get treated like you've never handled a firearm for the last 40 years.  I'm not talking about sweeping someone or being a range nuisance ...I'm talking about being told you can't lean a target against the shooting table while you wait on a cease fire.  Presumably because someone will see it behind the shooting line,  think it's a live target, turn sideways down the line start blasting it.  Also, If you shoot the berm without a piece of paper in front of it, expect to get a tongue lashing or thrown out!   I mean, if you rest on the table and shoot the top of your target and it goes into the woods, that's ok but if you purposefully aim at the berm without a piece of cardboard to slow the bullet down, you're an evil unsafe person.(no, it wasn't me, but I was there).

Wow, sounds like you read my mind when you wrote this. 

I was a member from the mid-70's to '99, and your response is what I would have said if asked of my experience there. I've been back as a guest a couple of times since and was taken aback at how much it's changed. 

Used to shoot there in the early to mid 70's back when there were no ROs and it was great, went again some time in the late 90's and I couldn't believe how much it had changed.  The ROs were a little over the top, at least in my opinion, that, and I think it is now $25 for a guest, convinced me that there were better ranges to shoot.

• Like 1

I welcome all these negative comments about CR.

I hate crowds, muzzle brakes, and bangers.

Well, they apparently hate their membership, so the crowds will ultimately disappear.

Aren't you leaving anyway?  You're going to have your own range, no crowds.

Well, they apparently hate their membership, so the crowds will ultimately disappear.

Aren't you leaving anyway?  You're going to have your own range, no crowds.

Very true Mark!  You know I don't play well with others.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with the voices here.  I find Cherry Ridge to be quite a nice place to shoot.  Admittedly, I'm not there on the weekends very often, but even when I am, I've never had to wait for a place to shoot.  Yes, I've been admonished by overzealous RO's on occasion, but not in a long time.  They get a varied group of shooters there, so they need to maintain strict safety standards.  I don't take any of it personally.  I  have now gotten to know most of the personnel up there, and find them all to be polite and pleasant.

Yes, it would be nice to be able to draw from a holster on the handgun range, but I have been able to move within my port, use the dividers as cover, and shoot from kneeling and other awkward positions.  That said, I do most of the work with my handguns at an indoor range, where I can move my targets at will, without having to wait for scheduled changes.  The 50/100 yard rifle range is probably the most popular.  The addition of steel targets there has been a welcome change.  I have not yet ventured over to the 200/300 yard range.  Looks like it's never crowded over there.

The plinking range is fun once in awhile.  I've spent time there after just missing a target change, or just for a little fun at the end of a range day.  My senior rate is somewhere around $130 for the year.  Unlike being on the clock at an indoor range, at CR you can stay all day until you run out of either time or ammo.

If you're looking to try it out, you would need to have one of us guest you in.  If anyone is interested, pm me.  When I go up there, it's usually on a Wednesday, but I could probably do a weekend sometime.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with the voices here.  I find Cherry Ridge to be quite a nice place to shoot.  Admittedly, I'm not there on the weekends very often, but even when I am, I've never had to wait for a place to shoot.  Yes, I've been admonished by overzealous RO's on occasion, but not in a long time.  They get a varied group of shooters there, so they need to maintain strict safety standards.  I don't take any of it personally.  I  have now gotten to know most of the personnel up there, and find them all to be polite and pleasant.

Yes, it would be nice to be able to draw from a holster on the handgun range, but I have been able to move within my port, use the dividers as cover, and shoot from kneeling and other awkward positions.  That said, I do most of the work with my handguns at an indoor range, where I can move my targets at will, without having to wait for scheduled changes.  The 50/100 yard rifle range is probably the most popular.  The addition of steel targets there has been a welcome change.  I have not yet ventured over to the 200/300 yard range.  Looks like it's never crowded over there.

The plinking range is fun once in awhile.  I've spent time there after just missing a target change, or just for a little fun at the end of a range day.  My senior rate is somewhere around $130 for the year.  Unlike being on the clock at an indoor range, at CR you can stay all day until you run out of either time or ammo.

If you're looking to try it out, you would need to have one of us guest you in.  If anyone is interested, pm me.  When I go up there, it's usually on a Wednesday, but I could probably do a weekend sometime.

+1 OGg - Well worth the bang for the buck.

I shoot mainly Mondays and could guest someone in as well.

OGg, If you want to venture to the 200/300 come with me and I'll bring some capable equipment.

• Like 1

For the cost of eight hours of shooting indoors getting your eardrums blasted to smithereens you can shoot unlimited in a beautiful environment. 

On the other hand if you're bothered by standard range rules like not approaching your shooting table during a cease fire, if only to lean your target stand against it, then maybe you should not shoot in a public venue at all. 

That rule exists because it's so easy for a slippery slope situation. "I was only leaning my target stand," "I was only looking to see if I was out of ammo," "I'd forgotten to flag my weapon so I did it then," "It was raining and I didn't want my new S&W to get wet." 

When I first started shooting there I was very green. I was observed breaking numerous rules including one I'm embarrassed to mention here. The ROs were always patient and courteous with me.

Like everything else gun safety is about acquiring good habits. If you practice those habits on the side of caution, to the point of being ritualistic, in the long term you'll be safer. When you eventually do slip up as we all do it will be from a positive not a borderline practice.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.... I appreciate all of the positive and negative comments about the Cherry Ridge Range.

It helped me decide to join for a year and experience it for myself. These places will always evolve and change, hopefully for the better. As shooting gains in popularity in NJ, bringing new shooters to all ranges, safety is a real concern, so I will remember that when I am invariably admonished by a RSO for some sort of infraction. I will chalk it up to a learning experience reminding myself that as members we all agreed to follow these rules to ensure a safe shooting environment. As Neanderthal as NJ is regarding its gun laws I try to remind myself how lucky I (we) am/are to have such a nice and diversified gun range relatively close to my home that does not cost a fortune to join and use.

I will paraphrase to an old golf saying, adapting it for any outdoor gun range: "Any day out on the course is better than any day inside your office...."

AVB-AMG

• Like 2

I went today after my membership lapsed a year and a half ago. I was glad to see new concrete poured for the pistol range as well as the 300 yd range. The steel targets at the 100 yd line for rifle and 25 yd(?) for pistol are a welcome addition. The range was empty. I wish I had more free time to shoot. It was a pleasurable experience.

I was there for a shooting into the berm without paper incident. Not sure if it was the same one as Mark. We were emptying our mags instead of unloading them after taking down our targets. I was busting Dave's balls about the rate of fire at which it was done that drew attention to us. We would have gotten away with it!

I went today after my membership lapsed a year and a half ago. I was glad to see new concrete poured for the pistol range as well as the 300 yd range. The steel targets at the 100 yd line for rifle and 25 yd(?) for pistol are a welcome addition. The range was empty. I wish I had more free time to shoot. It was a pleasurable experience.

I was there for a shooting into the berm without paper incident. Not sure if it was the same one as Mark. We were emptying our mags instead of unloading them after taking down our targets. I was busting Dave's balls about the rate of fire at which it was done that drew attention to us. We would have gotten away with it!

Try positioning your target such that if you hit in a non-embarrassingly bad shot you will also hit the steel target 40 yards behind your stand. It's amazing fun to hit the black and hear 'ping.' Of course that requires hitting the black...

anyone know the actual distance of the pistol plates? I get diffrent answers and the one time I remembered to bring my rangefindr the battery was dead lol. cant wait to get back  there, been recovering from hand surgery past few months :( but didnt stop me from grabbing a Henry 357 :)

anyone know the actual distance of the pistol plates? I get diffrent answers and the one time I remembered to bring my rangefindr the battery was dead lol. cant wait to get back  there, been recovering from hand surgery past few months :( but didnt stop me from grabbing a Henry 357 :)

50 yards. 

50 yards!? There at like 20-25 yards.

Nothing on their website that I could find, but when I set up at 15 yards the plates are much further than 2x that distance.

Now that I think about it, it has to be 50 yards. Unless it's 25.

Nothing on their website that I could find, but when I set up at 15 yards the plates are much further than 2x that distance.

Now that I think about it, it has to be 50 yards. Unless it's 25.

I can hit them... they are much closer than 50.. LOL. I cant imagine them being any further then the pistol ports i go to that are 25 yards. Unless of course they moved them. but their in the first berm.

Finally got cleared to shoot and spent some time there. Gotta say I really like the new cement floors, looks like they just finished the last of them at the 100. May be a little thing but it looks so much nicer vs the rough old broken blacktop. Tables & chairs are more stable and a lot easier to sweep your brass thats not(so much) filled with dirt & gravel! The overall improvemts are adding up, glad to see the range re-newing itself. Was in a funk for a looong time. Still dont know the official plate distance at the hg range, I asked the range via email and they said to ask Scott lol.