Silphidae

Do you buy rifle ammunition from sites that require FID?

I am having a hard time ordering from sites that require FID for purchase for rifle ammo. The statues clearly state it's for ammo intended solely for handguns, it just irks me that even people from this state take such a conservative stance (see attachment for statute).

Am I being, in the words of Tim Robbins, obtuse?

post-3162-0-27289200-1437011785_thumb.jpg

I don't know how practical it is, but it looks like a .50 BMG pistol has been built.

If a .50 BMG pistol exists, it would be difficult to prove that any other rifle caliber can't be fired from any pistol.

Like many/most NJ statutes it's badly written, but I/we didn't write it (or even vote for the people who wrote it).

Sorry. I was reading the NJ statute to try to determine if I can make a legal "U" turn when I go to the beach, and I can't figure that out by reading the NJ statute.

I buy from several places like SGAMMO, SARCO, Natchez, etc...... I think they all require the FID now. Doesnt really bother me to much. I keep a scanned copy of my FID, DL and other items on my computer. That way I am able to e-mail the info over to the sales people when they request it.

Does it somehow offend you that the retailer is requesting to see the ID even though its not legally required? Private industry can put virtually any restriction it would like, you can try other places.

I am not so principled that I would pass up a great deal just because they wanted to see a copy of my FID.

This...  plenty of places online want a copy of your FID to process an ammo order.  If its a great deal, i buy it regardless.  I probably have my FID on file at 6 or 7 different places that require it (and these are popular ammo sites). 

lets be honest..  do the online retailers care if you take your business elsewhere?  nope..   they have customers from 40+ other states buying their ammo.  If you don't like submitting your FID, more power to ya.  BUT - you are limiting where you can get good deals from that way...  If it comes down to having ammo because i had to provide my FID or not having ammo because i dont like having to show my FID, i know which one i would rather pick

I buy from several places like SGAMMO, SARCO, Natchez, etc...... I think they all require the FID now. Doesnt really bother me to much. I keep a scanned copy of my FID, DL and other items on my computer. That way I am able to e-mail the info over to the sales people when they request it.

Does it somehow offend you that the retailer is requesting to see the ID even though its not legally required? Private industry can put virtually any restriction it would like, you can try other places.

I've found, more often than not, the online ammo vendors do NOT require the FID, but I do keep a digital copy just in case they do. I recently purchased from SGAmmo, Natchez and Copper Creek and they did not ask for an FID. 

I will NOT send anyone my Driver's license, including Gunbroker.com (who requested it). I had my identity stolen in 2014 (bank accounts taken over, ATM cards ordered - the whole nightmare). I'm not about to give any more information than I absolutely have to. There are plenty of options for purhasing elsewhere.

I've found, more often than not, the online ammo vendors do NOT require the FID, but I do keep a digital copy just in case they do. I recently purchased from SGAmmo, Natchez and Copper Creek and they did not ask for an FID. 

I will NOT send anyone my Driver's license, including Gunbroker.com (who requested it). I had my identity stolen in 2014 (bank accounts taken over, ATM cards ordered - the whole nightmare). I'm not about to give any more information than I absolutely have to. There are plenty of options for purhasing elsewhere.

Son of Sam and SIGMan Freud:

Over the past two years I have also purchased ammo from online vendors outside of NJ, including SGAmmo, Natchez Shooters Supplies, MidwayUSA, and LuckyGunner.  All of them have requested that I either fax or email them a pdf file of my NJ FID card, which I have done.  I do not have a problem with sending them that info, but would have an issue if they also requested that I send them my NJ Driver's License.  

As indicated by others, the ease of purchase along with the more favorable pricing on ammo versus purchasing it in NJ, makes these online vendors very attractive.  Also, I am usually able to get what I specifically want sooner from them than I can at most NJ ammo retailers that I have checked out.

AVB-AMG

Same, sent it one time and they will never ask again. Not many deals these days anyway, skipping good one is mistake.