NickySantoro

Emissions inspection with CEL on

Not a trick question...I don't know about the Taurus motor, but the Pontiac Grand Prix you had to not only remove all that crap, you had to take-off the top motor mount and ROLL THE ENGINE forward....

Holy crap ! Okay now I'm not so annoyed at the engineer of this car, I see there are worse !

Holy crap ! Okay now I'm not so annoyed at the engineer of this car, I see there are worse !

Some vehicles are annoying in that regard.

To change a front turn signal bulb on an '04-06 BMW X5, you have to remove the front bumper.

But the reality is... if you're persistent... and I was... you can loosen the Xenon headlight fixture then some bumper cover fasteners, you can get you fingers in behind and do it. A royal pain though.

How many miles are you up to now ? That's got to be a serious relationship you have with your car, 23 years.

57K on the '93, 48K on the '94

The '93 was bought new for the wife to her specs. She never had a new car before and this is her car. Likely she'll drive it until the wheels fall off. The '94 was bought from a neighbor who bought it new. Literally a little old lady who drove it to shul on Saturday. Her son sold it to me when she went to assisted living.

sad part about all of this? i think it's may 1 that you won't need to inspect anything older than 96.

That would be a prayer answered. I can't find that on the MVC site. Does that appear anywhere official?

FWIW, I had to do something about the light anyway, inspection not withstanding. That code kicks the timing back from 10 deg to 0 deg. After doing the work around, the power increase was noticeable. I almost never drive that car so my frame of reference was limited.

ETA... Found it! Thanks for the heads up on this! AFAIK, there was nada in the paper about this.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Inspections/tailpipe.htm

Along those lines... I learned today that if you swap your battery in a recent model car... Then have it inspected, you'll fail. The secondary air and evap were "Not Ready". Or something similar. Don't have the sheet in front of me.

Bummer....

I have to drive the vehicle a couple to few hundred miles supposedly to provide enough data for those two sensors to report something... I'm told.

Miss the good old days......

It's not necessarily a few hundred miles.  It's meeting all the right conditions, which generally happen within that distance.

A few things of note, the evap monitors will generally not run until there is more than 25% and less than 75% fuel in the tank.  It varies slightly by manufacturer.

It can't be too hot, nor too cold.  Too hot could be a problem in Phoenix, but not around here.  In January, with a week below freezing, you could have issues.

You need to get some highway time, at usually at least 5 miles over 50 miles per hour but nominal throttle.  Set the cruise.

You also need some accelerate/stop cycles and usually at least 2 engine starts.

It's all a little different for each manufacturer, but the easiest way to know is to buy an ODBII scanner.  An Elm 327 can be had from Ebay for under $5 and you can buy Torque Pro for about $5 and read the codes and check the monitors from your phone.

Thanks Malsua. I have an OBDII reader and Torque Free. I didn't see those codes or states on the Free version. We're driving locally and highway. By Tuesday hopefully we're good to go. That's the next opportunity to get it inspected.

In related news...From the state itself...

"Cessation of Tailpipe Emission Testing

Beginning May 1, 2016, the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission is changing the inspection requirements for certain vehicles. Due to the cessation of tailpipe emission testing, the following passenger vehicles now will be exempted from inspection:

Gasoline powered vehicles registered passenger, model year 1995 & older with a GVWR 8,500 pounds or less.

Gasoline powered vehicles registered passenger, model year 2007 & older with a GVWR 8,501 to 14,000 pounds.

Gasoline powered vehicles registered passenger, model year 2013 & older with a GVWR 14,001 pounds or more."

This is a frickin' godsend for my '92 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon that failed every inspection I ever took it to.

what no one's thinking about on this though, is the shops. the shops that've invested tens of thousands of dollars to have the state approved equipment from state approved suppliers to do inspections. they're going goofy on emissions repairs now too.

Beginning May 1, 2016, the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission is changing the inspection requirements for certain vehicles. Due to the cessation of tailpipe emission testing, the following passenger vehicles now will be exempted from inspection:

Gasoline powered vehicles registered passenger, model year 1995 & older with a GVWR 8,500 pounds or less.

Gasoline powered vehicles registered passenger, model year 2007 & older with a GVWR 8,501 to 14,000 pounds.

Gasoline powered vehicles registered passenger, model year 2013 & older with a GVWR 14,001 pounds or more."

This is a frickin' godsend for my '92 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon that failed every inspection I ever took it to.

Maybe I need to bump-up my truck's registered GVW...

Maybe I need to bump-up my truck's registered GVW...

Interesting.  When I registered my Truck, they asked me what the GVWR was and I had no idea.  Rather than run out and look, I said 5000lb.  Now, I realize the truck weighs more than that, I just blurted out a number and that's what on my registration.  When I run to the scales at the dump, the truck is about 6000lb unladen.

My truck is a 2004 Dodge, Ram 2500.  The sticker on the door shows 8650lb.  That would seem to qualify as a 2007 or older with a GVWR 8501 to 14000lb. 

Does it change my annual registration fee?  If not, I wonder what forms I have to file.  Not that I have any trouble passing but I'd rather not bother if I can get away with it.

Interesting. When I registered my Truck, they asked me what the GVWR was and I had no idea. Rather than run out and look, I said 5000lb. Now, I realize the truck weighs more than that, I just blurted out a number and that's what on my registration. When I run to the scales at the dump, the truck is about 6000lb unladen.

My truck is a 2004 Dodge, Ram 2500. The sticker on the door shows 8650lb. That would seem to qualify as a 2007 or older with a GVWR 8501 to 14000lb.

Does it change my annual registration fee? If not, I wonder what forms I have to file. Not that I have any trouble passing but I'd rather not bother if I can get away with it.

I would think you're good as you are if your registration code is 1-9, 12, 15, 31, or 73 as listed in the MVC link.

GVWR is a manufacturer's rating on what manufacturer says the vehicle is designed to carry. Registered GVW is what you've paid the state to carry.

Some vehicles are annoying in that regard.

To change a front turn signal bulb on an '04-06 BMW X5, you have to remove the front bumper.

But the reality is... if you're persistent... and I was... you can loosen the Xenon headlight fixture then some bumper cover fasteners, you can get you fingers in behind and do it. A royal pain though.

ugh there is allot of that type of stuff with BMW. The first body shop I worked at was a BMW shop. Nothing like banging my head against the wall for 3 years. Once you learn the platform it's not that bad but then they put out a new model and change everything on you. Gotta love German over engineering

Do you happen to know if it's possible to change the rear spark plugs and wires on a '99 ford taurus U engine without removing the upper intake manifold and without taking off the shield under the wipers ?

Yes it is possible !    I've done it on my My 2000 sable a couple of times.  You go in from the pass side and reach around to each plug , its not easy.  The coil is on the spark plug boot .  

Interesting.  When I registered my Truck, they asked me what the GVWR was and I had no idea.  Rather than run out and look, I said 5000lb.  Now, I realize the truck weighs more than that, I just blurted out a number and that's what on my registration.  When I run to the scales at the dump, the truck is about 6000lb unladen.

My truck is a 2004 Dodge, Ram 2500.  The sticker on the door shows 8650lb.  That would seem to qualify as a 2007 or older with a GVWR 8501 to 14000lb. 

Does it change my annual registration fee?  If not, I wonder what forms I have to file.  Not that I have any trouble passing but I'd rather not bother if I can get away with it.

the 8650 on the door decal is your gvwr. that's gross vehicle weight rating. that's what you can carry/pull total, including the vehicles curb weight.

that all said.......do you know what an unladden swallow in flight weighs?

Do you happen to know if it's possible to change the rear spark plugs and wires on a '99 ford taurus U engine without removing the upper intake manifold and without taking off the shield under the wipers ?

yes. it's not really that hard. very very annoying, but not that hard at all.

the 8650 on the door decal is your gvwr. that's gross vehicle weight rating. that's what you can carry/pull total, including the vehicles curb weight.

that all said.......do you know what an unladden swallow in flight weighs?

I know what a GVWR is, the real question I'm asking is how do I change it on my registration.  I did find that the renewal fee over 3500lb is the same, so 5k, 8k, whatever, it's all the same until you hit the next class of vehicle.  

As per the wording of the statute, mine should be exempt, except that I gave the woman a bad number when I registered it.  I've registered logging and gin trucks and such when I worked for the logging company but I've never been asked a GVWR on a passenger vehicle.  I recall even asking the woman what was a good number and the hood rat behind the counter tilted her head at me as if I had tried to teach her what quantum entanglement was so I just said 5k.

I know what a GVWR is, the real question I'm asking is how do I change it on my registration.  I did find that the renewal fee over 3500lb is the same, so 5k, 8k, whatever, it's all the same until you hit the next class of vehicle.  

As per the wording of the statute, mine should be exempt, except that I gave the woman a bad number when I registered it.  I've registered logging and gin trucks and such when I worked for the logging company but I've never been asked a GVWR on a passenger vehicle.  I recall even asking the woman what was a good number and the hood rat behind the counter tilted her head at me as if I had tried to teach her what quantum entanglement was so I just said 5k.

Most personal trucks are registered as "Pass at Commercial Rate" - A private passenger vehicle charged the commercial rate.

http://www.nj.gov/mvc/Vehicle/NonCommercial.htm

5000 lbs is the "lightest" registration - at $87.50. If you claim 8650 lbs - the registration is 9,000 lbs and the charge goes up to $133.50.  I've never seen a private pickup truck up on scales, so I don't think I'll get too worried about it.

http://www.nj.gov/mvc/Commercial/fees/fees_code15.htm

Yes it is possible ! I've done it on my My 2000 sable a couple of times. You go in from the pass side and reach around to each plug , its not easy. The coil is on the spark plug boot .

yes. it's not really that hard. very very annoying, but not that hard at all.

Thanks guys. Do I need a flex head or low profile ratchet or will a standard ratchet work ?

Thanks guys. Do I need a flex head or low profile ratchet or will a standard ratchet work ?

get a flex headed ratchet if ya can. you'll need a couple short extensions...i'm at home right now...but i think i normally grab a 2 or 4 inch wobble extension. i also use a magnetic spark plug socket. if you choose to use one of those, be VERY careful when re-installing, as it's stupidly easy to crack the porcelien.

you'll probably find the boots stuck onto the plugs. try to twist them to break their grip. remove the air intake tube, and that'll give ya plenty of room to snake your arm around the back of the engine. find an old towel, and lay it over the hood latch area, and engine, as you'll find it easiest if you're kinda laying on the engine. if you pull all three rear wires off at once, use a sharpie, or re-appropriate a bottle of your wifes nail polish.....red or white....then mark each wire, to be sure to not mess up the firing order.

one other tip.......for re-installation.......an old straight spark plug boot works wonders.

Thank you very much John, I really appreciate all your help and tips.

For future reference, do you have any ideas on how to remove the castle nut on the end of the outer tie rod if the whole bolt spins freely ? I read about putting pressure on it with a jack but it didn't look like that would work. I also couldn't loosen the set nut between the inner and outer tie rods. I used pb blaster banged on it with a hammer used vise grips tried a plumbers wrench then I just gave up and pulled out the angle grinder. I had to replace the inner and outer anyways.

Thank you very much John, I really appreciate all your help and tips.

For future reference, do you have any ideas on how to remove the castle nut on the end of the outer tie rod if the whole bolt spins freely ? I read about putting pressure on it with a jack but it didn't look like that would work. I also couldn't loosen the set nut between the inner and outer tie rods. I used pb blaster banged on it with a hammer used vise grips tried a plumbers wrench then I just gave up and pulled out the angle grinder. I had to replace the inner and outer anyways.

if the entire ball's spinning in the spindle, you're gonna need to cut the nut off. i use air tools....but you can use your angle grinder to simply cut into the side of the nut. then spin it 180, and do it again.

for the locknut on the tierods........i generally use a really big adjustable wrench on em. if they won't crack loose i hit em with a torch......

Interesting thread....

I wonder what my local private mechanic thinks about this new regulation regarding NJ State emissions inspection.

My 1961 roadster current NJ inspection expires in 4/2017.  So will the "state" just instruct me to remove the current inspection decal on the windshield?

AVB-AMG

Interesting thread....

I wonder what my local private mechanic thinks about this new regulation regarding NJ State emissions inspection.

My 1961 roadster current NJ inspection expires in 4/2017.  So will the "state" just instruct me to remove the current inspection decal on the windshield?

AVB-AMG

i can tell ya what i think of it.

i think it's stupid. no. it's well beyond that. it is so stupid, that stupid looks like Einstein.

we already see people running 'round with headlights mis-aimed, tires that're on the belts, front suspensions that are so loose that they couldn't match a 1928 ford, shit hanging off as ya go down the road......

i can tell ya what i think of it.

i think it's stupid. no. it's well beyond that. it is so stupid, that stupid looks like Einstein.

we already see people running 'round with headlights mis-aimed, tires that're on the belts, front suspensions that are so loose that they couldn't match a 1928 ford, shit hanging off as ya go down the road......

1LtCAP:

I share your concerns regarding this.

Even though I have been eligible for many years to have the option to register my 1961 roadster with NJ Historic plates, I declined to do so. My reasoning has been that I wanted to be required to have a professional/expert auto mechanic inspect my car on what was originally an annual basis, then bi-annual basis to ensure that the most important components on the car, (tires, brakes, lights, etc.), continued to be in good working order and SAFE.

Now, it will be up to the individual (me), to act responsibly. I know that I will continue to do so on an annual basis for both regular and preventive maintenance, but fear that others will find excuses not to, making cars traveling on NJ roads less safe.

AVB-AMG

1LtCAP:

I share your concerns regarding this.

Even though I have been eligible for many years to have the option to register my 1961 roadster with NJ Historic plates, I declined to do so. My reasoning has been that I wanted to be required to have a professional auto mechanic inspect my car on what was originally an annual basis, then bi-annual basis to ensure that the most important components on the car, (tires, brakes, lights, etc.), continued to be in good working order and SAFE.

Now, it will be up to the individual (me), to act responsibly. I know that I will continue to do so but fear that others will find excuses not to, making cars traveling on NJ roads less safe.

AVB-AMG

Any shop would gladly take your money regardless.

I for one am envious. I've had enough shops spew BS trying to swindle me.

Perhaps we should all go buy something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercury-Grand-Marquis-/222091158219?forcerrptr=true&hash=item33b5aa22cb:g:r6MAAOSwAoRXFW9J&item=222091158219

Interesting thread....

My 1961 roadster current NJ inspection expires in 4/2017. So will the "state" just instruct me to remove the current inspection decal on the windshield?

AVB-AMG

pics or this thread is worthless!