Bully

Next Year: Hunting the Adirondacks

So, I'm gonna do it. I've already sent a room deposit and will be sending a deposit to the guide after the holidays(unless I can swing it sooner), I'm going to hunt the Adirondacks next year.

Because of my job(hairdresser for those that don't already know)going during rifle season/the rut just isn't in the cards for me. That and I really would rather take my bow so I'm going to go up for 3 days and do early bow. I've been in contact with my guide and I will be on 200 private acres and will actually be lodging on property. It's a bit spendy for me, however my wife is totally on board with it. Additionally I will be there hunting wed/thu/fri and will meet the family at another cabin up there for the weekend.

To say that I'm excited would be an understatement.

If anyone has hunted the Jay area upstate and has any thoughts on the trip or what to bring please chime in.

If anyone has interest in splitting the trip, let me know. There is room for 1 additional person. I can fill you in on the details. If not that's fine too. I'm going!!!

Just an update:

I have more than half my total cost for the hunt sent in to my guide.  He's been thoroughly helpful to me and answered all my questions promptly and professionally.  I have a couple of small things to buy to up my chances of success but for the most part I have everything already.  I'll be breaking the bow out next week to start doing some shooting to get my back back in shape for the fall.  

Again, if anyone else in interested PM me. I'll happily give you the guide's number if you would ever want to book with him.  He is currently getting licensed to hunt mule deer and elk in Colorado as well.  

C

• Like 1

What is the requirement for a non-resident ny hunting license? I'm think about doing a rifle hunt up there this year.

Not sure where you're located but you can take your NJ license to a place in NY that sells licenses and you should be fine.  It cannot be done online or in NJ to the best of my knowledge.  You have to physically go to place that issues them.  

Good luck.

I can't believe a year has passed.  My trip is in 3 1/2 weeks.  Last minute freak outs are on the way.  

I grabbed some camo that my guide suggested and a pair of "Muck Boots".  At least the boots will be new winter boots.  And the camo was on clearance.  All in all, not too bad.  

FWIW, New York State is now including bear and small game on the regular deer license.  In speaking with my guide, he hasn't seen any bear on the tract of land that we're going to hunt but he has seen turkey, so I grabbed that stamp as well.  

Here's to hope!!!

Good Luck!

My very first guided hunt was in the Adirondacks, IIRC either Shroon Lake or Loon Lake areas. It was definitely a great experience, although the hunting was not so hot - didn't see a thing in the 4 days that I was there. But that trip did get me started in hunting new areas, and my passion has morphed into hunting the western states.

I wish someone had told me this when I first started-out, but if you ever plan on doing more out-of-state hunting, begin applying for lottery points in several of them now. That way, you'll have some points banked for when you want to apply for permits in more desirable hunting areas. At a minimum, Wyoming and Maine. You can purchase preference-points-only for those 2 states for a relatively low price and after a few years you'll have much better odds of drawing a tag.

Not looking good today either. Sat for 6 hours this morning with nada. Back out now. If anyone has any prayers or whatever your personal belief system allows I'd appreciate whatever good vibes you can send my way.