KyleKap19

HELP! Mosin issue -- light primer strikes

Hey all,

So, I acquired a Mosin 91/30 with an Archangel stock, but have had light primer strikes.

Here's the rifle - 

20151016_084052_20151016092342311.jpg

A little background. Bolt has been refurbished with new bent handle from Max Shepherd. Really good work by the way. Also, I did get a new firing pin spring and have checked the firing pin depth / protrusion using the "tool".

WTF!? It's not like it's once in a while. The thing has never went boom. 

Since all is kosher with the bolt, spring is new, and the depth is good to go, my thoughts went to the ammo. I got some spam cans and in paying closer attention to the primers, I noticed that they're set REALLY deep.

Is this usually the case with 7.62x54r? 

Here's some shots of the primers -

20151117_090501.jpg

20151117_090326_20151117090826174.jpg

If it's too deep for the pin to strike with enough force, that could be the issue, right?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

THat's a really deep primer from the looks of it, but it could just be the photo.

I'm not home or I'd check some of my ammo for you, but this is a picture of different 54R ammo and how the primers are set...

7.62x53R_%26_7.62x54R.jpg

Now those look more reasonable .... I hope this is it, cause I really want to make sure it fires. 

Got any other ammo?  I'm betting it's the fact that those primers are so deep...

Been trying to find some. I work right by Effingers -- went there at lunch yesterday and they're out. They said they had hunting loads a week or two ago, but I'm not all about paying $25-30 a box!

Going to try the Guild down on 22 during lunch today. Issue is I have a shitload of this ammo -- would love to see if it actually fires in someone's mosin that' is confirmed to be operational.

Been trying to find some. I work right by Effingers -- went there at lunch yesterday and they're out. They said they had hunting loads a week or two ago, but I'm not all about paying $25-30 a box!

Going to try the Guild down on 22 during lunch today. Issue is I have a shitload of this ammo -- would love to see if it actually fires in someone's mosin that' is confirmed to be operational.

I'm out of town for work but will be back later this week/this weekend.  SCFGPA is down that way too so I could drop by with some ammo and one of my mosins.

I'm out of town for work but will be back later this week/this weekend.  SCFGPA is down that way too so I could drop by with some ammo and one of my mosins.

Man that would be awesome -- if I could hit the Milltown range with you, let you try some of this ammo, that would be awesome. Sucks as I have to drive about an hour to just pull the trigger and try it out! 

I'll message you w/ my cell phone

Sucks as I have to drive about an hour to just pull the trigger and try it out! 

What I do when working on revolvers and figuring main spring tension, I'll usually load up a few sized and primed cases ( no powder or bullet ) and fire them up to test primer ignition. 

In your case, pull the bullet out of the case , and empty all powder to test for ignition. 

What I do when working on revolvers and figuring main spring tension, I'll usually load up a few sized and primed cases ( no powder or bullet ) and fire them up to test primer ignition. 

In your case, pull the bullet out of the case , and empty all powder to test for ignition. 

LOL good luck doing that with that surplus ammo - I think it's all sealed in there really tight.

That ammo is definitely bad! That primer is way too far in the pocket!  I would say, and some may have a field day with me for this advice, is check EVERY round 

from that spam can and if all of the primers are seated that low, set your firing fin into "No Go"  territory a little at a time until you can go through that can. Carefully inspect

the brass on the first few you fire just to make sure there are no splits or bulging just in case something else is funky with the gun or that ammo.

Just don't use any properly primed ammo with the firing pin adjusted forward as you don't want to pierce the primer on a normal round!!! Get "the tool" so you can set it back

to the "Go" position once you have used up that ammo! Good luck!

Captain Obvious here. Anybody check the headspace?

Bob,

Good point and that is why I said to check to check the brass on the first few that go boom! But those primers are set WAY too deep and I am sure that's why the light primer strikes are happening!

So adjust the firing pin forward a tiny bit at a time until he can go through that bad can! He just has to understand that he would have a bad day if he were to try to fire a "normal" round and pierce the primer!!!

The proper thing to do would be to try some good ammo and if it works, destroy the bad stuff!

That ammo is definitely bad! That primer is way too far in the pocket! I would say, and some may have a field day with me for this advice, is check EVERY round

from that spam can and if all of the primers are seated that low, set your firing fin into "No Go" territory a little at a time until you can go through that can. Carefully inspect

the brass on the first few you fire just to make sure there are no splits or bulging just in case something else is funky with the gun or that ammo.

Just don't use any properly primed ammo with the firing pin adjusted forward as you don't want to pierce the primer on a normal round!!! Get "the tool" so you can set it back

to the "Go" position once you have used up that ammo! Good luck!

Not a bad idea... id hate to destroy this ammo. May try that after I hunt down som better rounds

that primers in way to far. personally id be leary of adjusting the pin to match the ammo because if you put a good round in youll pierce it.

yea, that's a risk for sure ... I'll have to go through the case and see if there are some that are better seated than others.

If it turns out the entire case is bad, what's everyone's reco for destroying? Or would anyone want the brass or try to pull the bullets? I dont reload 

yea, that's a risk for sure ... I'll have to go through the case and see if there are some that are better seated than others.

If it turns out the entire case is bad, what's everyone's reco for destroying? Or would anyone want the brass or try to pull the bullets? I dont reload 

As long as you carefully check every round and the primers are seated at that same depth. I see nothing wrong using with using up the ammo the way I described above!

Just don't use any normal ammo until you reset the firing pin back to "go"!

If you look at the the primer in the Tulammo round, the primer neck should be seated at the bottom of that small 45 degree bevel at the top of the primer pocket. See below! 

I don't understand how you have now found two examples of way out of spec ammo!!!  Either use the method above to shoot the ammo or dig a hole in your yard and bury it!

Mother Nature will eventually take her course. You could also take it to your local Police Department and let them dispose of it!

Below is a round from 1934! This one was done right!!! Also, at the back of the bolt, (the round part) The screw in the center should be flush and scored to show proper firing pin position.

unless the firing pin has worn or been replaced, this should be a good visual guide for you!

A2471.jpg

If you look at the the primer in the Tulammo round, the primer neck should be seated at the bottom of that small 45 degree bevel at the top of the primer pocket. See below! 

I don't understand how you have now found two examples of way out of spec ammo!!!  Either use the method above to shoot the ammo or dig a hole in your yard and bury it!

Mother Nature will eventually take her course. You could also take it to your local Police Department and let them dispose of it!

Below is a round from 1934! This one was done right!!! Also, at the back of the bolt, (the round part) The screw in the center should be flush and scored to show proper firing pin position.

unless the firing pin has worn or been replaced, this should be a good visual guide for you!

A2471.jpg

Can you send that pic again? I know right!! WTF!!??

I am going to try and find more 7.62x54R and see if I get lucky. This is so annoying.

ok guys, update for you, and I'm rather confused.

I went to the range today with the Mosin. Loaded the TulAmmo (new ammo) first, and had a light primer strike. 

So, I took @johnnyB 's advice and set the firing pin deeper for both the TulAmmo and Yugo surplus. I went one rotation. Both ammo is good to go. She went boom .... but not all the time!

Here's the weird part. probably 90% of the time I'd get a light strike on both the TulAmmo and Surplus, but then I'd cock it again (not cycle the bolt, just pulled back on the cocking piece) and then it would fire. 

What the hell could that be?

For the hell of it, I have ordered a heavier spring and new firing pin.