Stonecoldchavez

Mosin Nagant questions

My buddy has offered up to me a chance to buy two Mosin Nagant rifles he has, plus some ammo to go with them. I know nothing really about these rifles. What is a fair price to pay for both of them?

What are good years to get? Or stay away from?

What should I be looking for in regards to quality? Problems?

He told me the rifle is from 1928.

The carbine is from 1943.

Any tips or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

S.

My buddy has offered up to me a chance to buy two Mosin Nagant rifles he has, plus some ammo to go with them. I know nothing really about these rifles. What is a fair price to pay for both of them?

What are good years to get? Or stay away from?

What should I be looking for in regards to quality? Problems?

He told me the rifle is from 1928.

The carbine is from 1943.

Any tips or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

S.

The condition of the rifle and carbine as well as matching serial numbers (not forced) certainly come into play! Since he is a friend, I would say around $200 per would be a fair price.

The ammo is around $120 for a corrosive primed spam can of 440 rounds. If the ammo he has is non corrosive, it is obviously worth more.

The 1943 stamped M38 was the last year of production, most M38 carbines were fitted into M44 stocks by the Soviets as a wartime expedient. M38s in the correct M38 stock command a premium over M38s in M44 pattern stocks. The M38 was replaced by the M44 carbine in 1944. If neither has a hexagonal receiver or is in less than Very good condition, I think my estimate of their value of around $200 each would be appropriate!

The Mosin Nagant is a fine addition to any collection and certainly will not go down in value as time passes. Be sure to check to check the bore for good rifling and no pitting as the corrosive ammo used

back in the day would tear them up in no time if not promptly and properly cleaned!

Also check for counter-bore.

"A counterbore is when the rifling and part of the inner diameter of the bore is drilled out from the muzzle back far enough to get rid of boogered up rifling. The need for counterboring is caused by poor cleaning methods, ie: not using a rod guide. A counterbore creates a new crown, albeit inside the barrel, and allows the bullet to make a clean exit without being thrown off by damaged rifling.

Many people don't want a counterbored barrel, but I'd rather have a counterbore than a useless barrel.

Counterboring was a common practice with the Russians and a few other European type countries."

Round/hex refers to the receiver... hex ones are earlier.

Good price for two, more so if it is a M38 carbine. Ask if it has a side-folding bayonet. If so, M44. If not, M38... or if there is a rear sight with ground off distances (over 1,000 meters), a M91/59.

Check the bores to see if they are pitted.

Thanks for the replies. He is offering them to me for $350 for both rifles, if I am interested, along with 400 rounds of ammo. He said the 91/30 has the hexagonal barrel; the carbine is round.

The price is great!!  The hex receiver is a plus since more rare!  Ask if the ammo is corrosive "Berdan Primed" (probably is if it came out of a spam can) and just clean the crap out of gun with Windex down the barrel and on the bolt. Then dry and clean and lube as you would any rifle. The bullets may well be steel core "check with a magnet", if so, keep that in mind with where you are shooting and what your target is!

A couple things...

The 1943 stamped M38 was the last year of production, most M38 carbines were fitted into M44 stocks by the Soviets as a wartime expedient. M38s in the correct M38 stock command a premium over M38s in M44 pattern stocks. The M38 was replaced by the M44 carbine in 1944. If neither has a hexagonal receiver or is in less than Very good condition, I think my estimate of their value of around $200 each would be appropriate!

The Mosin Nagant is a fine addition to any collection and certainly will not go down in value as time passes. Be sure to check to check the bore for good rifling and no pitting as the corrosive ammo used

back in the day would tear them up in no time if not promptly and properly cleaned!

Sorry but 1943 was not the last year M38's were manufactured. The last year they were manufactured were 1945 and they started in 1939. Those two years seem to be the toughest to find along with hexagonal receivers and of course other stampings and such. Also, I cannot remember if the M44 was replaced with the M38 in 1943 or 1944 but I think you were right in 1944. The first M44's made were a trial batch of approximately 40-50k in 1943 - they were sent out to troops to test them out and then ramped up production in 1944 through 1948.

If the carbine is a 1943 dated one, then it's either an M38 or a trials M44. If it is a trials M44 in good condition, I'd go with mid to high $200's. If it's a good conditioned M38, then around $300 as the m38's seem to have risen a bit in value lately. These are just approximations by the way and could be higher or less depending on where/when/what buyer is buying them.

I do agree that Mosin's are a great addition to any collection and will always go up in value. They shoot a heavy hitting round and are pretty bulletproof.

The price is great!!  The hex receiver is a plus since more rare!  Ask if the ammo is corrosive "Berdan Primed" (probably is if it came out of a spam can) and just clean the crap out of gun with Windex down the barrel and on the bolt. Then dry and clean and lube as you would any rifle. The bullets may well be steel core "check with a magnet", if so, keep that in mind with where you are shooting and what your target is!

Windex is kind of a myth when it comes to corrosive ammo cleaning. It doesn't necessarily work any better or worse than other things, but it's more expensive than water and IMO not worth it. 

To clean a gun that has been shot with corrosive ammo, the best method is to use hot water to flush all parts and then clean and lube as you normally would. Hoppes, windex, your grandmas denture water - it's not about "neutralizing" the salts, it's about flushing them and getting it off the gun parts.

--- Anyway, make sure to post pics once you get them. 

I finally acquired the two Mosin-Nagant's from my friend. I have been researching more on both. 

The rifle appears to be a 1928 M91 with a hexagonal receiver. 

The carbine is a bit of a mystery to me. It is date stamped 1943 and based on the markings was made at Russia's Izhevsk factory. It is either an early model M44 or a late model M38. I am not sure. Any distinctive way to confirm?  Both rifles appear to be in excellent condition and have laminated stocks. From I have researched laminated stocks were after WWII. 

Thanks,

S.