Gun/Ammo Storage in Home

I looked around the forum and did a search but couldn't find this topic answered.

Am I allowed to keep loaded mags in the safe next to my pistol if they aren't loaded into the gun? My assumption is that since keeping a loaded gun in a safe is legal, then this shouldn't be an issue either but I'd just like to verify. No children live in the house, although my niece and nephew visit every now and then.

Thanks 

Thanks. Appreciating the facepalming vibes here for new gun owners trying to navigate the complicated laws.. real welcoming...

I keep all of my pistols in the safe in condition 1:

Full mag in the gun, one in chamber

Long guns are stored in the safe condition three: loaded mag in the gun, empty chamber, safety on.

I also keep a number of loaded mags in the safe for each pistol and long gun.

Hope that helps.

That being said, NJ doesn't define the term "loaded" anywhere in the laws. Take note especially when transporting firearms.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks. Appreciating the facepalming vibes here for new gun owners trying to navigate the complicated laws.. real welcoming...

Just a question. Why would it be ok to have a loaded gun in the safe, but it would be against the law to have an unloaded one in the same safe? I am pretty sure you get where I am going with this, and the reason for the facepalms.

Oh, and welcome to the forums. Get used to the facepalming. :laugh:

Just a question. Why would it be ok to have a loaded gun in the safe, but it would be against the law to have an unloaded one in the same safe? I am pretty sure you get where I am going with this, and the reason for the facepalms.

Oh, and welcome to the forums. Get used to the facepalming. :laugh:

I understand that, and even prefaced my opening post specifically mentioning that. It's just I hear/see so many nightmares about all the inconsistencies and (intentional) complexities within the laws that I just wanted to double check to be safe, since I just got the FID and gun. I wasn't 100% about the loaded gun part, either. I didn't how tough the crowd is here.

Its a tough crowd in here until you get to know everyone. Don't sweat the facepalms. There's plenty more where those came from, especially for a new guy.

Ask your questions, take your facepalms, and learn all you can along the way. Pretty soon you'll be facepalming the new guys.

Also armedCPA, in case you don't know, you can carry a loaded firearm on you in your residence and on your own property, and other specific places.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

Why?  NEW JERSEY! That's why.

By the way, it is illegal to leave a loaded firearm within easy access of a minor. 

Otherwise, keep them loaded and store them wherever you want - on your own property.  That includes any land owned or possessed by you, including your place of business if it's a fixed location that you own or rent.

The only requirement I know of is you must keep guns away from kids. 

No kids? Do whatever you want.

Decorate your walls with loaded ARs. Carry a Shotgun around the house. Put a loaded .44 mag on your nightstand.

There are no other laws about gun storage in your home.

Don't sweat the facepalms.  It's just the way short bussers greet noobs here.  It's how they demonstrate how smart and special they are.  The question is valid and begs another.  If you are caught with a loaded magazine while driving you can pretty much count on being charged with possession of a loaded weapon.  Even if the two are locked up in separate compartments.  So how about this.  If I leave a loaded magazine on my nightstand but my firearms are locked up in the safe, and there are small children in the house, does that count as leaving a "loaded weapon" within easy access of children?  Really the question is this;  What is considered a loaded firearm and how inaccessible should  a loaded firearm (in all forms of interpretation) be from children.

With all the vagary of NJ law, and how open it is to whichever way the court decides to interpret it, it's not a dumb question. 

Welcome to the forum. C'mon...you gotta have a thicker skin than that :) But on a serious note, I can see how NJ gun laws can be confusing to everyone...especially a new owner.

I keep my HD pistol (Glock) fully loaded in condition 0, full magazine, and one in the pipe. Plus an extra fully loaded magazine. I have no children, so don't have to worry about the kiddies.

...If you are caught with a loaded magazine while driving you can pretty much count on being charged with possession of a loaded weapon....

'Pretty much' sounds pretty definite.

Got any sources for this actually occurring in NJ other than conversations with the counter guy at the gun store?

Don't sweat the facepalms.  It's just the way short bussers greet noobs here.  It's how they demonstrate how smart and special they are.  The question is valid and begs another.  If you are caught with a loaded magazine while driving you can pretty much count on being charged with possession of a loaded weapon.  Even if the two are locked up in separate compartments.  So how about this.  If I leave a loaded magazine on my nightstand but my firearms are locked up in the safe, and there are small children in the house, does that count as leaving a "loaded weapon" within easy access of children?  Really the question is this;  What is considered a loaded firearm and how inaccessible should  a loaded firearm (in all forms of interpretation) be from children.

With all the vagary of NJ law, and how open it is to whichever way the court decides to interpret it, it's not a dumb question. 

:facepalm:

Also armedCPA, in case you don't know, you can carry a loaded firearm on you in your residence and on your own property, and other specific places.Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

Just don't forget about it if you go to the mailbox or to borrow something from the neighbor.

'Pretty much' sounds pretty definite.

Got any sources for this actually occurring in NJ other than conversations with the counter guy at the gun store?

This is one of those vague areas in NJ law. Evan Nappen has discussed the possibility of this happening. We all need a test case to resolve the issue. Any volunteers  :laugh:

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good information can be found here.

Thanks, I'll consider myself hazed lol. I got the Sentry xo55 safe yesterday. Nothing super fancy but I think it'll do the job.

Now I've just been researching the NJ Castle Doctrine to try to understand home defense laws. Are there any cases anyone can cite where the homeowner was proven to use justifiable force and was let off without issues?

It is my understanding that there is no Castle Doctrine in NJ. One has a duty to retreat, even in his home, and can only use deadly force when confronted with the threat of death or serious bodily harm to himself or others in the house.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! There is indeed a lot to learn about NJ firearms laws. This forum is generally a much better source than LEO's or people at your LGS.

Thanks, I'll consider myself hazed lol. I got the Sentry xo55 safe yesterday. Nothing super fancy but I think it'll do the job.

Now I've just been researching the NJ Castle Doctrine to try to understand home defense laws. Are there any cases anyone can cite where the homeowner was proven to use justifiable force and was let off without issues?

You will have issues! But hopefully you will be alive. Only advice I've gotten from L.E.( off the record) is IN THE HOUSE! Not porch, not shed, not detached garage, not yard. And if the perp is dead it's one less witness.

That's what I've been told anyway........ I hope I never have to find out.

Welcome to the forum! Lot of good info/ people here.

Also, it is illegal to have a loaded firearm within access of a minor. It's also pretty stupid as a responsible gun owner.

A person who knows or reasonably should know that a minor is likely to gain access to a loaded firearm at a premises under the person's control commits a disorderly persons offense if a minor gains access to the firearm, unless the person:

(1) Stores the firearm in a securely locked box or container;

(2) Stores the firearm in a location which a reasonable person would believe to be secure; or

(3) Secures the firearm with a trigger lock.

This section shall not apply:

(1) To activities authorized by section 14 of P.L.1979, c.179, (C.2C:58-6.1), concerning the lawful use of a firearm by a minor; or

(2) Under circumstances where a minor obtained a firearm as a result of an unlawful entry by any person.

As used in this act, "minor" means a person under the age of 16.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

:no:

I don't even lock my stuff up, and i always travel with loaded mags...why? because all the laws say is they must be carried in separate containers. The only time anything has to be locked is if you can access it from inside.

Technically per NJ law you could have full mags rolling around ur trunk, since by definition a magazines is a container with the purpose to carry ammunition.

A person who knows or reasonably should know that a minor is likely to gain access to a loaded firearm at a premises under the person's control commits a disorderly persons offense if a minor gains access to the firearm, unless the person: (1) Stores the firearm in a securely locked box or container; (2) Stores the firearm in a location which a reasonable person would believe to be secure; or (3) Secures the firearm with a trigger lock. This section shall not apply: (1) To activities authorized by section 14 of P.L.1979, c.179, (C.2C:58-6.1), concerning the lawful use of a firearm by a minor; or (2) Under circumstances where a minor obtained a firearm as a result of an unlawful entry by any person. As used in this act, "minor" means a person under the age of 16.Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

Thanks Paul