fatty

S&W 627 Pro vs other L frame Smiths

Anyone have a 627 Pro (8-shot)?

How does the size compare to a 686?  I'm not looking to shoot competitively, so mainly just as a range toy/HD.  So caught up in the slight variations and relatively small price differences it's hard to make a decision

686 vs 686+ vs 686+ Pro vs 686 SSR vs 627 Pro

Maybe just go with the basic 686 and call it a day?  Or are the other features of the + and Pro series worth the extra hundred bucks?

686_SSR06.jpg

686+ Pro series... what a sexy wheel gun

very true about the grips. recommend any shops that carry a good range of revolvers?

I may catch crap for this but Silver Bullet in Rockaway always has a nice rotating supply of Revolvers. When I picked up my 325TR from him, he had close to 25 or more revolvers on display mostly Smiths but a few Rugers too. Definitely a great little shop. Don't care what anyone says.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• olight.jpg

Use Promo Code "NJGF10" for 10% Off Regular Items

• Supporting Vendors

• Latest Topics

• Similar Content

• By Casual Shooter
      ·         M&P 45 Compact 4” Barrel with Night Sights
      ·         Stainless Steel Barrel and Slide
      ·         Five (5) Magazines
      ·         Apex Enhanced Trigger Kit (original S&W trigger parts included in the package)
      ·         Original S&W case, manual and three backstraps
      ·         Excellent condition
               $390.00
      Located near Morristown. RTSP in Randolph preferred FFL but will travel a reasonable distance to your FFL for transfer. Buyer responsible for transfer fees. The first to post “I’ll take it” wins the sale. Please follow up with PM to confirm.
      Thanks for looking.

• By Casual Shooter
      ·         M&P 45 Full size 4.5” Barrel with Night Sights
      ·         Stainless Steel Barrel and Slide
      ·         Five (5) Magazines
      ·         Apex Enhanced Trigger Kit (original S&W trigger parts included in the package)
      ·         Additional Storm Lake Performance Ported Stainless Steel 5.3” Barrel
      ·         Extra Grip Frame Tool pin with lanyard attachment
      ·         Original S&W case, manual and three backstraps
      ·         Excellent condition
      $420.00
      Located near Morristown. RTSP in Randolph preferred FFL but will travel a reasonable distance to your FFL for transfer. Buyer responsible for transfer fees.
      The first to post “I’ll take it” wins the sale. Please follow up with PM to confirm.
      Thanks for looking.

• By My1stGlock
      Anyone knows of a reliable gun smith or armorer that can swap a barrel on a S&W 686+ revolver? If you used them even better. Any idea on the cost to do the work? Obviously someone local in NJ as the first choice. Thanks for any leads. 
    • By NJGF
      I am interested in getting the opinion of people you have shot the Smith and Wesson Model 629 revolver in different barrel lengths. I have shot the 6" barrel and it was doable. S&W has it available now in 2 5/8", 4", 5", 6", and 6 1/2" barrels. The longer barrels are heavier guns so that probably makes them easier to shoot.. Are the shorter barrels difficult to shoot (feel, recoil, etc)? I am interested in hearing about shooting .44 Magnum cartridge.(I know that the .44 special cartridge is a different animal and easier to shoot).
    • By fatty
      Finally picked up my 686 4" and it's a dream to shoot!  I should've bought this a long long time ago...  SA trigger pull feels buttery smooth and this thing handles 357magnum loads like it's nothing.  The huge fireballs are a big plus.  Shooting high from the factory about 4-5" between 7-15 yards but it's dead on accurate

One thing that I've noticed though, is that when ejecting the spent casings, there's ALWAYS one casing that gets stuck between the ejector star and the synthetic grips.  If there was maybe 1/8" more clearance on the grip it would be flawless....

Is there a specific grip that will or technique that will allow that last casing to drop free?

• In 50 years of living in NJ I've never experienced any attempt to inspect the interior of the home, and only one definite inspection of the exterior for an announced reassessment of all properties and that was a drive by. About 9 years of that was living in an apartment, but still, uncommon. Every place I lived had either a finished attic, basement, or both. But they were also included in the habitable square footage on the taxes when we got there. 
    • 27.00 and change in tolls to drive down the shore from Rutherford,  47.00 in tolls to go out to Long island to visit dying relatives. Now I read they are going to raise the fees in the DMV. Murphy lied just to get elected when he said that seniors will get a significant tax break with his StayNJ" program to stop us from leaving.   Keep voting for democrats...this is what you get.  Tax and spend is all they know.  Never cut anything.  This state sucks.
    • I get the added benefit that since I have a TSP rather than a true 401(k) they tax my retirement too. Yaaaay!
    • PX4 Full Size 9mm Type G. Upgrades include: - Type G Stealth/Low Pro Levers and Slide Release - Truglo Tritium Pro Sights, White Outline Front Sight - Beretta Competition Trigger Group - LTT Optimized Trigger Bar - PX4 D Spring All parts professionally installed by gunsmith. Pistol has 400rds through it. All original parts (trigger group, trigger bar, Type F levers, sights) are included in sale. Original Beretta case and all contents included in sale. 3-10rd mags (these are the original mags that came with it). Pistol is in Excellent condition, there are a couple minor smudges on the lower part of the slide near the frame which I guess is from the sight vise. If I didn't point them out you wouldn't even notice. Trigger is super sweet, especially the SA Reset. Between the gun, parts, and gunsmith labor I have about $1200 into it. $800 Sale is Cash Only.   I'm in Whippany near Morristown. I will travel within a reasonable distance to meet at your preferred FFL to do the transfer. Buyer pays transfer fees.   -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------