Sign in to follow this  
NJGF

Ruger Mark III Failure to Feed

I have a Ruger 22 Mark III that I have been having problems with. I had other issues that I resolved by replacing the hammer bushing, loaded chamber indicator, and extractor with parts from Volquartsen.

The issue I have is failure to feed a round. This never happens on the first round. It probably happens 2 or 3 or 4 times per magazine. Racking the slide chambers the round.

I am using CCI Mini Mag plated cartridges so I don't think ammo is the issue (I have also tried Federal LRN).

I have also rounded the rear corner lips on some of the magazines to see if that would help but it is still getting FTF's.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

In all likely hood, it's the ammo. .22s are extremely finicky when it comes to what ammo they like to it.

I have a Ruger mark 2 that loves Federal .22 ammo, runs flawless - But when I put in CCI or Remington i get failures.

Other things to check would be any burrs on the feed ramp, worn springs, etc. 

How many mags do you have? Does it do it with all of them?  Where they part of the package when you bought the gun?  Try different ammo, as suggested, borrow and try different mag if possible.  Feed failures can be tied to magazines on most occasions.  You replaced an awful lot of internals, double check to see they are all installed correctly.  Get some Flitz and polish the feed ramp.

How many mags do you have? Does it do it with all of them?  Where they part of the package when you bought the gun?  Try different ammo, as suggested, borrow and try different mag if possible.  Feed failures can be tied to magazines on most occasions.  You replaced an awful lot of internals, double check to see they are all installed correctly.  Get some Flitz and polish the feed ramp.

Lots of mags and all do the same. Two came with the gun and the others were purchased separately (Ruger mags). Tried a few types of ammo. I also tried polishing the feed ramp.

sounds to me like the mag release is holding the mags too low in the gun 

I had also replaced the mag release with a Volquartsen extended release (not to fix anything but to make it a bit easier to press). I will try putting back the original release and see if that helps.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• olight.jpg

Use Promo Code "NJGF10" for 10% Off Regular Items

• Supporting Vendors

• Latest Topics

• Similar Content

• By Gunlawyernj
      My first pistol was a used 92fs inox in very good shape.  I love it.  I don't know how old it was when I got it, but i've had it well over 10 years.  On my last two range outings, I've experienced the oddest FTF pattern i've ever seen.  It FTF on the 4th round every time.  I thought maybe its the ammo, and tried three different brands, with 115gr and 124gr.  I used two different magazines.  I even stripped and cleaned between outings.  I fire three rounds and FTF on the fourth.  Clear the jam, 3 and FTF on the fourth.  Ive even tried using the rounds that FTF and put them in the first three with no issues, until the fourth round.  
      Something mechanical must be going wrong.  Ive looked around and seen a few possible issues to try and solve this short of going to a gunsmith.  
      Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
      Jason
    • By HBecwithFn7
      I was at an outdoor range, yesterday with my 2A mentor. I loaded up my P226 (it's been a while since I've shot it)  with some AE 147gr flat heads. 

"Goin' Hot..,"  and then.... "Click...."  nothing..... 

I wait to ensure it wasn't a hang fire, then cleared the weapon and ejected the round.  Sure enough there was a light depression in the primer.  I tried again, and "click...." nothing... 

My mentor loaned me some standard AE 115Gr round nose. I loaded up two of those. And,  lo and behold,  they fire without issue! Then I tried some of my Hornady "Critical Duty" rounds.  First round.... BANG!   No problem.  2nd round..... ."click......"  Ruh-Roh.....    As before, a light depression in the primer. One more time with Hornady and..... "click....."  nothing!    I try the flat heads in my Shield, and "BANG....BANG...BANG..." all fires, no issues.

So, I'm thinking, maybe a "sticky firing pin" in the P226?  Perhaps a more detailed cleaning is in order?  Or is this something that may require a bit of smithing? 
      FTR, my P226 is the only one of my inventory that I cleaned initially with "Froglube."  My mentor has soured quite a bit on FrogLube, now. The other of my inventory has been cleaned with Hoppes 9 and Hoppes std. oil, along with gun grease for the rails.

Anyway, all help truly appreciated, since I have to use this gun later this month for my MAG-40 class. If I'm going to need smithing, I need to know ASAP. I also need to find a good gunsmith that does P226's in the Gainesville FL area.

Thanks much all. 
    • By VaultDweller
      This is my second purchase, I saw this on gunbroker for $100 less than the MSRP and jumped on it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=341904590

It's a Ruger Mark III Target .22, in Stainless Steel!  Comes with an optics mount!

Can't wait to get it!

(Of course, I have to wait, but that's OK)

• I very seriously doubt this has anything to do with terrorism.    1) Harbor pilots are VERY seriously vetted, and highly trained. Not to mention extremely well paid. My experience knowing a few of them, and knowing how they are recruited and screened tells me that there is a slim to highly unlikely chance that a harbor pilot would have participated in anything like that.    2) Maintenance of foreign flag ships is well known to be dubious. Especially these days. These were NOT US flag, Jones act sailors. It was (to my understanding) a largely Indian crew on that ship, with a Ukrainian Captain. Indian crews are not exactly known for being stellar.    3) The bunkers (fuel) these ships use is ‘Bunker C’, which is a heavy, dirty fuel oil that can, and usually is, pretty contaminated. This stuff ain’t your car grade gasoline or diesel fuel. It’s nasty.   It requires nearly constant filter changes and maintenance to the engine/generators. The ship took on fuel prior to departing port, which would stir up all kinds of shit in the fuel tanks, which would contribute to particulates in the fuel lines/filters.    4) I’d say the posting of the chief engineer for Maserek above was pretty spot on as far as chain of events.    This was a shitty accident, with horrible timing and outcome. Not a terror attack. 
    • I saw Lara's interview on Bannon's War Room, and that gave me pause for thought. Her conjecture depends primarily on the veracity of her sources. Regardless, if it's not applicable in any way to this ship disaster, the methods described seem valid to me. And worthy of consideration for the future. As I said before, IMO something is coming. Death by a thousand cuts? Lara Logan Provides Comprehensive Baltimore Update: Experts in Behavioral Analytics, Counter-Terrorism, and National Security Analyze Recent Incident | The Gateway Pundit | by Jim Hᴏft
    • Another big windfall for governments'. The 'winner'? Not so much. Mega Millions $1.13 billion winner is facing mega tax bill. The amount is staggering. - nj.com