Lambo2936

First Handgun/12GA/Rifle

Hey all. Figured while i'm going nuts waiting for my FID and handgun permit i would shop around a bit. Looking for some suggestions..

Handgun: I'd like a 9mm. I'm a small guy (5'5) and don't think i can handle a hand cannon. I'd much rather be able to put multiple rounds down range accurately than one or two .45 rounds that may miss. I Was never a hand of 'polymer' guns ever since i used to play airsoft and all that, however i held my friend's SP2022 and it actually felt really nice and solid, could barely tell the difference between that and metal. Totally different from the polymer i was used to found in Airsoft guns. I Also love the weight. I Was looking at getting an SP2022 like his, maybe one of the many glock variants (im not familiar with the exact differences between the many they make) though they may be out of my price range a bit, and maybe a springfield XD. Are there any similar handguns that wont break the bank? I'd like to stay under 500 maybe 525 out the door if at all possible. I only applied for one handgun permit, foolishly not knowing i could apply for multiple on the first round, so i have to make it count. No big deal, as i'll be broke from the other stuff i want anyways, haha.

Shotgun: I Want a basic 12GA. Nothing crazy as its just for home defense/screwing around/maybe try and get into shooting clays as i've never done that and may or may not enjoy it. Not for hunting or anything of the sort. Was looking at the good ol' Remington 870 with the synthetic stock. Any suggestions for something better that is relatively cheap would be appreciated. Not looking to spend much at all on this as i won't be using it nearly as much as the handgun or any of the other rifles, i dont think.

Rifle(s): 1: I Shot a 700 while at a range in PA (Sunset hills) and loved it. It was a 308. I'd like to have something similar on hand just for range shooting, basically. I believe the 700 is extremely expensive, but for those of you that are experienced in the matter, are there any similar, cheaper rifles that are not total crap and won't break the bank? It had synthetic stock and didn't seem all too fancy.

2: AR15.. I'd like to get an AR. I'd like to stay under 1200-1250 out the door. A lot of people are saying to build my own, but i have no idea what to do or how to do it. Also, do any receivers ordered to go a FFL if i get a complete upper and lower? Does it take a pistol permit since there wouldn't be a barrel and therefore it would fall under an enormous pistol category?? haha. I'm a newbie so im really leaning towards just buying a new one. I Was also thinking of picking up a .22 AR for my fiance to shoot around when she tags along as well as for my mother, sister, little brother, etc. whenever they come. My mother was in the IDF way back when and shot UZI's while in, but hasn't shot since (Many, many years) So i was thinking a .22 is a nice, cheap starting point as i can get a S&W MP AR made out of plastic for like 450$ or something like that. Less than a handgun, and .22 bullets are cheap if i feel like putting some stuff down range without spending .40 cents a bullet or over a dollar on a .308.

Thanks for the help guys!

Handguns - go and try everything possible.  Go to RTSP or GFH and rent (with a friend).... or depending on where you're located, find someone from here to go with that has a good variety of pistols.  Your budget of $525 isn't going to get you much in terms of a pistol - maybe a used Glock 19 or other gun.  New 9mms generally are $600+ OTD.

Shotgun - Mossberg 500 or Maverick 88 - good starter shotguns.  Won't break the bank.  Better QC than Remington lately.

Get a bcm rifle a moss berg shottie and then make friends on here and try out everyone's collections.

I'll say that just buying a 9mm cause its smaller than a .45 does not make it more controllable. The weight and construction will be a large factor as well. More mass can = less felt recoil.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Handguns: try as many as you can. RTSP and GFH are both great but you must have a friend with you to rent. 9mm will be far less expensive to practice with than 45ACP.

Shotguns: home defense guns are not well suited for shooting clays but can do the job. Since you are looking for a low price I suggest going to a gun show or 2 or a shop that carries used guns

One with a few nicks in the stock and less than perfect bluing will still function. 26 inch barrel is the shortest I would recommend for clays.

Rifle: Savage makes very good inexpensive bolt guns. You can also pick up a Mosin Nagant for under $300. They have quirks but the ammo is cheap Tons of YouTube videos on them.

AR: Smith & Wesson MP 15 Sport. Around $600 Everything you need plus you can upgrade parts later on if you want.

Add a little bit of money, bargain hunt and get a gun without compromise.

Unless you know exactly what you are doing skip rifle and ar15 for now or you risk to be that dude who bought ar-15 many years ago and finally had time to shoot it for the first time.
I am not talker, and chatted with dozen or so people at the range last year [and it includes 'clay shooting' crowd]. I met three people who bought their firearm 3-4 years ago and tried it  for the first time.

Krdshrk; My friend bought a brand new SP2022 for i believe he said 460+Taxes& the usual 15$ Check. With a hard case and i think two mags?. Most glocks i've seen new were in the mid 500's or so, though i could be mistaken. 
brucin; i'll look into the savage and mosin. Thanks for the info. would certainly like to pick up a nice bolt action at some point to play around with. As for the AR, i was hoping for something with a rail system so that i can play around with it if i chose to do so. The S&W MP Tactical version is like 1100$ if i remember correctly? Any idea as to why the crazy price difference for some rails?

Oleg; what do you mean about never using the gun? I'm not sure i understand why somebody would purchase a gun and never shoot it for years? Please elaborate. Once i have them i'd like to think i would find time to go once a month or so to shoot, maybe more often to a local handgun range. I would like to think if i spent that much money on a rifle that i'd at least shoot it haha.

Get a bcm rifle a moss berg shottie and then make friends on here and try out everyone's collections.

I'll say that just buying a 9mm cause its smaller than a .45 does not make it more controllable. The weight and construction will be a large factor as well. More mass can = less felt recoil.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yes, i understand that. The reasoning behind the 9mm was also the cheaper ammunition which can add up to quite a bit if i go once or twice a month with friends/family. Eventually i'd like to expand and purchase a .45 just to have however my #1 go to will most likely be the first handgun i purchase. I don't want to spend too much right now only to not use anything, so i'd like to just get one of everything i want, essentially, just to play around with and every few months i'll just get something new. However, a Handgun and an AR are probably both my #1's to get just because i can use them at home if need be, as well. My place is small and only has a few rooms, and a long rifle wont do much good there, haha.

Krdshrk; My friend bought a brand new SP2022 for i believe he said 460+Taxes& the usual 15$ Check. With a hard case and i think two mags?. Most glocks i've seen new were in the mid 500's or so, though i could be mistaken. 

brucin; i'll look into the savage and mosin. Thanks for the info. would certainly like to pick up a nice bolt action at some point to play around with. As for the AR, i was hoping for something with a rail system so that i can play around with it if i chose to do so. The S&W MP Tactical version is like 1100$ if i remember correctly? Any idea as to why the crazy price difference for some rails?

You can add a rail of your choice to the M&P for under $100. In fact most any AR in less than 10 minutes. The rail is not a big deal to swap out.

You can add a rail of your choice to the M&P for under $100. In fact most any AR in less than 10 minutes. The rail is not a big deal to swap out.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_786045_-1_757784_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_846049_-1_757784_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Looks like basically the same rifle, but one has a rail one does not. Theres the flip sights and all too, but still doesn't justify the huge difference IMO.

You are correct. So get the M&P and add the rail you like for under $100 and you have what you wanted and saved a ton of $$$!

Yeah, used to do stuff like that with airsoft gun's and what not, so i realize that. I Was just wondering if there was any real difference in the two rifles to justify the 400$, because i'd be willing to spend 1150 or whatever if it was WORTH the extra money. If i'm paying 400$ for a rail system, i'll replace it or make do without it, haha.

Just a word of advise on AR15 purchases from my personnel experience, if you have a budget of $1,200 then buy one for $600 like the Smith & Wesson MP 15 Sport. You will spend at least that much on upgrades.

I bought a base NJ legal (pinned stock and MB) Stag Model 8 about 5 years ago for $1,200, at this point I have at least twice that much invested in the gun.

Just a word of advise on AR15 purchases from my personnel experience, if you have a budget of $1,200 then buy one for $600 like the Smith & Wesson MP 15 Sport. You will spend at least that much on upgrades.

I bought a base NJ legal (pinned stock and MB) Stag Model 8 about 5 years ago for $1,200, at this point I have at least twice that much invested in the gun.

That's why a lot of us say "Build it yourself".  If you get a pre-assembled upper, putting together the lower from a stripped lower and parts kits is easy enough to do with only a few tools.  You can customize the gun to what exactly what you want and not have to spend extra on buying and replacing parts.

Beats me. I am surprised every time I hear it. Personally so far I put a couple hundred rounds in every new purchase literally next day. 

Oleg; what do you mean about never using the gun? I'm not sure i understand why somebody would purchase a gun and never shoot it for years? Please elaborate. Once i have them i'd like to think i would find time to go once a month or so to shoot, maybe more often to a local handgun range. I would like to think if i spent that much money on a rifle that i'd at least shoot it haha.

The CZ looks nice, thanks for the suggestion i'm going to look into that; never heard of them though To be honest i am fairly unfamiliar with real firearms. As for building my own to my liking, the primary issue with that is that i have NO idea as to what i like and what i don't. I've shot a few AR's but all were rentals at ranges; probably standard stuff i could buy in a store. I Have nothing to compare it to, etc. which is why i was hoping to just pick something basic up for now until i learn more as far as different triggers, etc. etc..I have TONS of tools as far as hand tools and such go, though i'd imagine you're referring to some sort of specialized tools for assembling firearms rather than your typical impact gun's, ratchets, etc., haha.. I'm quite handy, but am not sure i'd want to dive right into building high powered rifles from scratch when i don't even really know how to assemble and disassemble one, let alone the many parts that go into one. Until i purchase one and get my hands on it and play with it, youtube video's only teach you so much! I Was hoping to attend some courses/classes once i do obtain my FID and get my hands on the basic's. That's why im here, haha! I'm trying to find a nice starting point, and it seems like a lot of people have been pointing in the direction of either building one from scratch or just dishing out 6-700$ for a S&W M&P Sport.
Building one isn't really an option unless i get a complete upper and lower, but again theres the issue of me not knowing what i like. I know what looks cool, but know nothing about the real world functionality of certain components, or, for example, certain things such as different triggers. I Have no idea why one would be any better than another (other than the quality of components). I Certainly have quite a bit to learn, which is why i was hoping to find a basic, good, easy to learn with setup that i can start off on. Once i am familiar with it, i can work on building something better to my liking piece by piece. I am blessed to be making a hell of a lot more money than i was just a few weeks ago, and while i don't want to get ahead of myself, i'd like to think that buying a 2nd rifle will be the least of my concerns when i decide to do so. Besides, for those of you that read my post regarding looking for a safe, i have a BIG safe to fill ("24 gun" safe which is half storage, so like 6 rifles on a good day and a hell of a lot of ammo).

I live in Woodbridge, technically, but have been spending more time at my parent's house in East Brunswick than at home because work has been crazy and it saves me almost 2 hours a day in commuting back and forth and getting the baby packed and what not.
Might be going to a few shops with a buddy of mine Saturday just to look around and see what i might be interested in. He's already got a few firearms and is an Army reservist, so he can probably help point me a bit in the right direction (hopefully?)

Any specific time as to when you're available? I'd definitely love to try out some 9mm's, I have no idea as to where to look there and same goes with any AR's, really. I'm fairly set on what i'd like with the 12 gauge and long rifle, but am clueless with the AR. Any chance one of you guys have a S&W MP Sport??????? Or something similar? I'd love to meet up, maybe saturday afternoon?
Is that range any good? I haven't even started looking for a good range that is fairly local.

A trip to GFH in woodland park is in order. Try hanguns till you find one (at least :) ) you like. The Build a beAR "course" will help you define what YOU do and do not want on YOUR AR. Firearms are very personal. What is great for me may be god awful for you.

A trip to GFH in woodland park is in order. Try hanguns till you find one (at least :) ) you like. The Build a beAR "course" will help you define what YOU do and do not want on YOUR AR. Firearms are very personal. What is great for me may be god awful for you.

Is GFH some sort of rental place? Any chance you have a website or address so i can look into it?

Rifleman, as of right now i'm looking at a very very similar setup, i think. Just not sure with the 9mm but i think i might just get the S&W For now.

Is GFH some sort of rental place? Any chance you have a website or address so i can look into it?

Rifleman, as of right now i'm looking at a very very similar setup, i think. Just not sure with the 9mm but i think i might just get the S&W For now.

Gun For Hire in Woodland Park - range with rentals available (can't go solo).  Same thing for RTSP in Randolph - another range with Rentals.  

The range Checko and I are referring to in Bridgewater is a private range for which we both have memberships.

Oh, ok. I'll look into doing that, that's not a terrible idea. I'd rather spend 100$ on rentals and make sure i like what i am buying than buy blind because it feels right in my hand or looks cool, haha.

I Was looking at that range in Bridgewater and unfortunately they are no longer accepting new members, which sucks because it seems nice.