DirtyDigz

Actor using airsoft gun in low budget film charged in NJ

As posted in another thread, an airsoft pellet is not solid. It has bubbles and holes which precludes it from the definition.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

Well - the "bubbles and holes" are pretty tiny...  They're made of starch/plastic type materials.  The cheaper, lighter BBs can be hollow inside.

2009_10220008.jpg

There is no mention of what the projectile is constructed of in the statute.

2C:39-1 Definitions

f."Firearm" means any handgun, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, automatic or semiautomatic rifle, or any gun, device or instrument in the nature of a weapon from which may be fired or ejected any solid projectable ball, slug, pellet, missile or bullet, or any gas, vapor or other noxious thing, by means of a cartridge or shell or by the action of an explosive or the igniting of flammable or explosive substances. It shall also include, without limitation, any firearm which is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas or vapor, air or compressed air, or is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person.

You have two positions covering airsoft -

1) They don't have enough force to "injure" a person

2) The electric guns don't use any of the methods listed in the statute to launch their projectiles

Both of these arguments are tenuous at best.

As for using an imitation firearm (blue gun painted to look real) or toy gun in the commission of a crime:

2C:39-4. Possession of weapons for unlawful purposes

e.Imitation firearms. Any person who has in his possession an imitation firearm under circumstances that would lead an observer to reasonably believe that it is possessed for an unlawful purpose is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

you guys are gonna hate me for this.......the elastic band thing almost makes me think that they can include when you shoot things like we used to do in high school....with a rubber band between your fingers......

you guys are gonna hate me for this.......the elastic band thing almost makes me think that they can include when you shoot things like we used to do in high school....with a rubber band between your fingers......

It does...

Doubtful. "With sufficient force to injure" and "projectile smaller than 3/8 inch" the key phrases.

Doubtful. "With sufficient force to injure" and "projectile smaller than 3/8 inch" the key phrases.

you've obviously never shot anyone with a paperclip? :)

sorry man, i'm not trying to be a noodge.....just overthinking again.

so then they can't really charge him for having the airsoft then? only for doing the movie thing without proper permits?

No. Read the last paragraph in HE's post #49. This may be a case of being better off asking for a hearing before a judge instead of a jury to decide if he possessed it for an unlawful purpose. A judge would be more likely to determine making a movie without a permit doesn't constitute an unlawful purpose in the scope of the statute.

I don't think having a law or ordinance requiring you to get a permit to make a movie is unreasonable. You need to get a permit to have a large family picnic or party at a county park. Or should it be first come, first serve? Most permit requirements are not unreasonable IMO.

He will undoubtedly be offered a plea deal. If it is the to a misdemeanor offense which carries no life time repercussions I'd advise him to take it.

This was off the article, good old egg harbor township.

http://www.nj.com/atlantic/index.ssf/2016/03/4_teens_shot_south_jersey_jogger_with_airsoft_gun.html#incart_article_small

Sent from my XT1080

Dumbass kids were doing this 10 yrs ago with paintball guns.

Why?

NJ 101.5 spent the 5 PM hour talking about this topic and how screwed up the firearm laws are in this state. The hosts and majority of callers were in agreement that something needs to be done.

Something needs to be done but with the political status quo what can be done. The dindus keep voting in the hand out politicians.

NJ 101.5 spent the 5 PM hour talking about this topic and how screwed up the firearm laws are in this state. The hosts and majority of callers were in agreement that something needs to be done.

NJ 101.5 has been pretty good lately exposing the nonsensical anti 2a position here for a while...especially Bill Spadea, Dennis and Judi

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Am I reading this wrong or did the cops call it an "imitation firearm"? I thought BB guns are firearms in NJ. Has the law changed for the better and I didn't notice?

NJ 101.5 spent the 5 PM hour talking about this topic and how screwed up the firearm laws are in this state.  The hosts and majority of callers were in agreement that something needs to be done.

Something needs to be done but with the political status quo what can be done. The dindus keep voting in the hand out politicians.

With the Dem politicians in the state, all that matters is how many votes they get for saying "XYZ".  I think one way we might get a change in firearms laws is to make it beneficial to Dems to vote FOR the things we want done.  To do that we would need a massive PR campaign to sway public opinion.  It would take...In the words of Les Grossman.. "Lot's and lots of money..."  But it could be done.

For most people... not all... but most people... when you speak to them rationally about firearms and educate them, they tend to agree with the positions of 2A supporters.  Some won't ... but most will.  You have to get through the ignorance and misinformation they've been fed by the Statists and Fascists.

But one on one conversion is a tall order to fill.  Most of us do it all year long when we have the chance to get the ear of an anti-gun person.  But a massive PR campaign with a whole lot of money behind it is what's needed.  The money is out there.  Look at what got dumped into these wasted campaigns.  If that message gets across to enough people, these Dems in the House and Senate down in the cesspool we call Trenton will have no choice but to abide by the will of the people.. or be gone.  Sounds like pie in the sky right now.  But that's how those animals feed.  Use their own vices against them.

This isn't something that would happen in a month or probably even a year. But it shouldn't take much longer than that if there's enough resources applied.

Normally, an organization like the NRA would be a conduit for those resources.  But we all know that story. For reasons I just don't understand, issues specific to NJ are of little to no interest to the NRA. Maybe they're the arsonist that always needs a fire to watch.

In any case, I think this is at least one way to make something happen.  It's not a job for one or even a dozen people.  It's a job for an organization with serious financial backing.  It requires programs like what your heard on 101.5 to be on the air every single day.  It requires ranges to have community days to invite people in to learn about firearms, how to handle them safely and how they benefit a community.  It requires people talking about how a concealed weapon saved their life or the life of someone else.   It requires politicians already supporting the 2A get out there and be vocal about it.  They need to feel like they will be able to take credit for a successful outcome.

I don't know how all this gets started or gets properly organized, but trying to change the political landscape in Trenton without changing the views of the people of the state is almost certainly a dead end.

(If this is worthy of any discussion, I'll paste it in the new thread)

NJ 101.5 has been pretty good lately exposing the nonsensical anti 2a position here for a while...especially Bill Spadea, Dennis and Judi

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It's because of you guys.

I know Dennis has been on this for years, since I cut the Jersey cord (now I can't stand that station). But the work you guys do, calling, bitching, writing, every legislator and news organization is what is fueling this.

NJ gun laws can't stand the light of day. Not in this day and age. A bunch of complete backwards fXXXs from a different time.

You make your people aware, and this crap will end. You don't have to turn them, just make them aware of what America is really like and what the girl next to them at Disney World is packing.

Normally, an organization like the NRA would be a conduit for those resources.  But we all know that story. For reasons I just don't understand, issues specific to NJ are of little to no interest to the NRA. Maybe they're the arsonist that always needs a fire to watch.

I have to say things with the NRA and NJ are getting better at least I'm getting emails now that are alerts from the NRA about bad legislation, I got this on 3/11: http://www.nramedia.org/t/5756767/102828531/53384/7/.  The wheels are slowly turning.

I have to say things with the NRA and NJ are getting better at least I'm getting emails now that are alerts from the NRA about bad legislation, I got this on 3/11: http://www.nramedia.org/t/5756767/102828531/53384/7/.  The wheels are slowly turning.

You might consider signing up with these guys:

http://amgoa.org/

Or even giving them a hand here and there. It's sort of a clearinghouse of gun related stuff, such as proposed laws, gun shows, events, picnics, protests, rallies, etc. I think they are running low on staff and could use your help.

yes, but only recently. I've seen them too, altho almost every NRA one shortly follows virtually the same announcement that ANJRPC puts out. I suspect they originate from the same source out of ANJRPC which is our state NRA org and w/o them we would not see them from the NRA.

One aspect of this actor/airsoft case I had not been aware of until I heard him interviewed on D&D last night is the fact that the guy in question is a prohibited person. He said something to the effect that he's no angel and had been in trouble in the past, etc. So he may already have suffered the "lifetime repercussions" one poster alludes to above.

Ultimately, his status should not be relevant, of course, because airsoft guns should not be treated as they are under this ridiculous law, but if he is, in fact, a prohibited person, it may explain why more "discretion" has not been exercised in this case. Or not. Who the hell knows what goes through the heads of prosecutors in this state?

Am I reading this wrong or did the cops call it an "imitation firearm"? I thought BB guns are firearms in NJ. Has the law changed for the better and I didn't notice?

Airsoft is not a BB gun. Ralphies Red Ryder is a BB gun. Shoots metal BBs. Airsoft is generally a toy. Shoots little plastic balls. Operative phrase "with sufficient force to cause injury" Unless you get hit in the eye it is not likely to cause injury.

Airsoft is not a BB gun. Ralphies Red Ryder is a BB gun. Shoots metal BBs. Airsoft is generally a toy. Shoots little plastic balls. Operative phrase "with sufficient force to cause injury" Unless you get hit in the eye it is not likely to cause injury.

My comment was about this article

http://www.nj.com/gl...ver_mobile_home

This was a BB gun not an airsoft. I am well aware of the difference.

Don't know.

I understand what you are saying as far as 2c

Could be a misquote by reporter, or a misspoke by the officer.

No, it was an airsoft toy. Says so right on the police complaint filed by arresting officer.

Google search "woodbridge comedian airsoft" click the nj1015 link. Read the actual complaint, not an nj.com "reporters" interpretation.

Regarding Zeke's BB gun link http://www.nj.com/gloucester-county/index.ssf/2016/03/can_you_tell_which_gun_is_a_fake_neither_can_a_cop.html#incart_river_mobile_home

Since you need a P2P a BB pistol, I would assume the PRNJ does not differentiate between a S&W M&P 9mm

from a bb gun replica. For the PD to call it a "FAKE GUN" surprises me. one of 2 things are happening.

1) The PD and prosecutor are playing it down as they know that sending this guy to prison for 5 years on a handgun possession charge would be a joke! They let him go.

2) They will charge him with possession without a carry permit and send him to jail and Christie will offer a full pardon. unless the bbs are hollow points! If he had a pellet in there,

and look at the back of the pellet, it's hollow and the evil perp is screwed.

Why the heck anyone would stick that thing in his waist band in the first place? It will be interesting to see how and if he is charged.

No, it was an airsoft toy. Says so right on the police complaint filed by arresting officer.

Google search "woodbridge comedian airsoft" click the nj1015 link. Read the actual complaint, not an nj.com "reporters" interpretation.

Did you even read the story in this link? It's not about the comedian shooting a movie, it's a completely different story

Did you even read the story in this link? It's not about the comedian shooting a movie, it's a completely different story

Im sorry. I guess i figured people posting in a thread about the airsoft incident in woodbridge would be about the airsoft incident in woodbridge. My bad.