Zeke

Waterproofing a cotton jacket?

as always your knowledge and wisdom are unmeasurable.

As usual you don't get the point.

Not saying this isn't a cute little project if clothing mods are your thing. Not putting anyone down for waterproofing their clothing and gear.

But some individuals are at a point in life where they prefer to buy high-quality water-proof gear instead of spending half a day heating, spreading and permeating grease into their clothes. 

Serious question: How do you wash those treated jackets?

I have a Barbour waxed canvas jacket. I don't wash it.

That costs almost as much as my entire wardrobe is worth. My preference under the circumstances would be synthetic but I can see where that treatment has its appeal.

Doesn't the inside eventually get funky?

That costs almost as much as my entire wardrobe is worth. My preference under the circumstances would be synthetic but I can see where that treatment has its appeal.

Doesn't the inside eventually get funky?

They are stupid expensive, but I got it on a once-in-a-lifetime sale.

The inside doesn't get funky because I always wear it over long sleeve shirts and I bath regularly.

• Like 1

Bath? What is this, the 1800s? Does anyone take a bath anymore? Shower, that way you're not sitting in the filth you're trying to wash off.

Got me! Bathe.... I bathe regularly.

Good advice. I would shower but the water just rolls right off the waxed jacket.

I have a Barbour waxed canvas jacket. I don't wash it.

I bought a Barbour waxed canvas jacket in Scotland in 2002.

It has always had a very unique scent to it, which I have probably added to over the past 14 years since I have never washed it either.

One downside to any waxed outer garment is that if you wear it when sitting in a leather upholstered seat of an automobile, the wax will rub off a bit onto the leather making the leather feel rather tacky, (from my experience....)

I bought some of the wax sold by Barbour to apply to the jacket if I ever needed to, but have yet to do so.

Yes, it is 19th Century technology that has certainly been superseded by modern day sophisticated blended breathable fabrics.

Those jackets and coats have an  "old school" charm, have been a cyclical fashion statement and ultimately has its place in the pantheon of hunting outerwear, but is not for everyone.

AVB-AMG

I bought a Barbour waxed canvas jacket in Scotland in 2002.

It has always had a very unique scent to it, which I have probably added to over the past 14 years since I have never washed it either.

One downside to any waxed outer garment is that if you wear it when sitting in a leather upholstered seat of an automobile, the wax will rub off a bit onto the leather making the leather feel rather tacky, (from my experience....)

I bought some of the wax sold by Barbour to apply to the jacket if I ever needed to, but have yet to do so.

Yes, it is 19th Century technology that has certainly been superseded by modern day sophisticated blended breathable fabrics.

Those jackets and coats have an "old school" charm, have been a cyclical fashion statement and ultimately has its place in the pantheon of hunting outerwear, but is not for everyone.

AVB-AMG

along time ago man invented the wheel. We've been trying to reinvent it since then.

Learning old school is a good thing. Most of my tools are old school

As usual you don't get the point.

Not saying this isn't a cute little project if clothing mods are your thing. Not putting anyone down for waterproofing their clothing and gear.

But some individuals are at a point in life where they prefer to buy high-quality water-proof gear instead of spending half a day heating, spreading and permeating grease into their clothes. 

Serious question: How do you wash those treated jackets?

According to the coat I have that has been treated with similar? Hose it down. Let it dry. 

Do yourself a favor, if you are planning to spend any time outdoors or are buying clothes for TEOTWAWKI, buy synthetic. Cotton kills.

High Exposure:

What a wonderfully amusing and absurd comment...... heh, heh.... :hunter:

AVB-AMG

Not absurd at all. Cotton is literally called the "death fabric" by outdoor survival experts. Avoid it like the plague.

I spent a lot of time climbing in high mountains. Spending days many miles from a car or a house during all seasons and weather. Cotton is a no go - primarily because it holds moisture. Most guiding services won't let you on any trip/excursion over 10,000 feet if you have cotton gear.

It takes forever to dry, offers very limited insulating properties when dry, and none when wet. Since it doesn't dry quickly, it chafes horribly. Cotton can retain twice its weight in water.

You don't need to be at altitude or hiking in winter to feel the I'll effects of cotton. A wet cotton t-shirt may feel great on a hot day, but if the temp drops to under 70ish with a breeze you could be in trouble as your body temp drops.

The one place cotton shines is if you are in an environment where flame is a possibility. A cotton base layer will keep synthetics from melting to your skin