DevsAdvocate

Question: For NJ (and other AWB States), is the PWS FSC Style Brake the hard one to beat

In terms of three main factors:

+ Recoil Reduction

+ Side Blast

+ Flash Mitigation

It seems the PWS balances them pretty well... it's still blasty, but not so much so.  It reduces recoil, but isn't the best.  It mitigates "fireball" a bit, but isn't a flash hider by any means.

It seems the main competitors are:

+ Battlecomp (expensive)

+ Lantac Dragon (blasty)

+ DynaComp (blasty)

I also looked at the GoGun Supercomp XL as well, and while it looks promising, it also is disconcerting given the lack of use and reviews.  Everything online and Amazon is a regurgitation of the same comments and praises.  The only third party test I saw was one of TTAG's shootouts.  Maxim also said he used one before.

Thoughts?

The fsc556 is pretty blasty but I still like mine a lot. Probably be hard to tell the difference unless you're doing a lot of rapid fire drills

My next upper will likely just have an 11 degree target crown

• Like 1

My predicament is this: I snagged a spare scar 17 barrel for cheap and was gonna cut it down to 16" OAL with a brake on it for shits and giggles.

So, I have the PWS that came with it I can use. Or I can sell it and try something newer.

I like the FSC556. I have a few of them on my rifles.

The thing with selecting muzzle devices is that recoil/muzzle rise is very subjective. What you think works the best, I may think is the worst.

Keep in mind, there is no free lunch. Typically the blastier or louder the device - the better it works. Also, some will decrease recoil but increase muzzle rise and vice versa with varying degrees of effectiveness.

I'd add the surefire to the list and then you have the main group of candidates in the price range. I like that the surefire sells a blast shield now. I know a bunch of other companies sell their own blast shield as well.

Blast shields legal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blast shields legal?

In Surefire's case?  Yes.  Mainly because their SOCOM brakes don't have threading, but an attachment point for suppressors and the blast shield they sell.

In Surefire's case? Yes. Mainly because their SOCOM brakes don't have threading, but an attachment point for suppressors and the blast shield they sell.

So we can have both? A blast shield on a Surefire? Been seeing them used on Hawaii 5-0 I believe. Never seen them before.

Blast shields legal?

I'm not sure it's illegal but I'm also not sure you won't get arrested for it if you have one on at the range. I'd love to hear a gun lawyers opinion. I have one for out of state classes. People hate shooting next to a comp.

I'm not sure it's illegal but I'm also not sure you won't get arrested for it if you have one on at the range. I'd love to hear a gun lawyers opinion. I have one for out of state classes. People hate shooting next to a comp.

Why would you get arrested?  There is no law on the books for it.

1.  It's not a flash hider

2.  The muzzlebrake isn't threaded (it uses a lug locking system)

3.  It's not a silencer

I think it's good to go.  Problem is, Surefire and Griffiin Armament have the only ones that might work.

First time I fired FSC 556 it was because it was on a bud's upper that I borrowed. I didn't even know what it was. I started shooting and thought, "Why is this rifle not recoiling?"

That being said, they are blasty. I didn't think it was blasty the first time I shot it, but I figured it out later. It is earthquake blasty on an 11.5". It will punch you in the feet from the ground and run up your spine before you hear the sound. I also burned the baffles out of one. They can't handle extensive cyclic fire from my personal experience. There were no baffle strikes, simply gas erosion. Somebody told me they might have had bad steel at one time but I don't know.

Honestly, the A2 does a pretty good job and not blasty. ATF may call it a flash hider, but Military calls it a comp. Obviously not as effective as FSC556, which has baffles. But not blasty.

i agree with you on all counts,  but this is NJ.  I just assume anything fun MIGHT get you arrested.

and why is that a problem?  the surefire stuff is great.

Thing is: its not permanent.  Just take it off.

I mean, you can still mount a bayonet on a rifle without a lug on it in many cases... just duct tape it! Or use some wire.  Either way, does doing so make your rifle an AWB violation?  I don't think so.

FSC I believe is one of the few, if not the only, to have a certification from bathe that it's not a flash hider. I use them and they are loud. Standard fare on a FN SCAR.

Thing is: its not permanent. Just take it off.

I mean, you can still mount a bayonet on a rifle without a lug on it in many cases... just duct tape it! Or use some wire. Either way, does doing so make your rifle an AWB violation? I don't think so.

True. I'm just saying be careful. I've heard stories (not first hand) of places like ft dix walking the line and seeing if mags are in compliance. Places like that, if that's true, it might be better to leave it home

True. I'm just saying be careful. I've heard stories (not first hand) of places like ft dix walking the line and seeing if mags are in compliance. Places like that, if that's true, it might be better to leave it home

Who would walk the line?

Range officers. They are pretty notorious there.

Fwiw I'm getting a nice titanium brake made that I'm pretty excited about

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'd tell them to fuck off and never go back.  

What kind of brake are you getting?  I always wanted to try my hand at designing a brake.

• Like 1

I'd tell them to fuck off and never go back.

What kind of brake are you getting? I always wanted to try my hand at designing a brake.

I shouldn't have said I'm getting it made that implies it was custom. A low volume (hopefully soon large volume) guy is making a bunch of titanium gun parts. I'm buying his brake at $60. He's working on a titanium low profile adjustable gas block too that claims to be half the price of the competition

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

FSC I believe is one of the few, if not the only, to have a certification from bathe that it's not a flash hider. I use them and they are loud. Standard fare on a FN SCAR.

I thought there was some kind of pinky rule? If I can give a Jersey cop a Wet Willy before he shoots me then it's not a flash hider during the witching hour or something.

• Like 1

I thought there was some kind of pinky rule? If I can give a Jersey cop a Wet Willy before he shoots me then it's not a flash hider during the witching hour or something.

Yes, I've heard of the pinky rule but could never find it in the law.  Who knows, but a bit of googling has uncovered this.  Better than the pinky test.

http://primaryweapons.com/documents/ATF_FSC556.pdf

Yes, I've heard of the pinky rule but could never find it in the law.  Who knows, but a bit of googling has uncovered this.  Better than the pinky test.

http://primaryweapons.com/documents/ATF_FSC556.pdf

Rob - I think you can agree with this solution....Work hard, retire young, and get out of this state.

• Like 1

"The X3 also mitigates some of the flash that is commonly associated with compensators"

So yes.  Should be fine.   IANAL, but the verbiage in NJ law is that flash hiders are illegal.  Flash hiders are a specific class of muzzle device. Compensators perform a different roll (compensating for muzzle rise and stabilizing the muzzle), muzzle brakes do that in addition to lessening recoil.  Then there is the "pinky test" as well.  This things opening is constrained down to the caliber its designed for (.30cal) so it passes that too.

As always, in NJ, the law can fuck you regardless of what you use.

Flash suppressors should be legal in NJ. Flash hiders are not. In other words if you can't see the muzzle flash in the dark it is a flash hider. If the flash is there but even less than before it is a legal flash suppressor. The FSC 556 should be legal. As for bayonets; if you could figure out a way to clip a bayonet on to your lug free rifle, it is legal.  I've seen bayonets that contain a self contained clip on mechanism  that can attach to an AR rifle with a muzzle brake but never pursued getting one as I don't need an attachable bayonet.

• Like 1