If you have the $$ buy what you want.

If your scrapped for cash, buy what you need.

Everyone needs, quality reliable and accurate firearms.

It's hard to replace what you need, and easy to replace what you want.

Your needs, rarely change..

My wants change about daily.

We should all know that NO ONE follows the buy once cry once rule...

It's just a mental reminder not to buy something you will replace in the near future with something "better"

• Like 1

this is always an interesting discussion topic. I wanted a revolver for IDPA in 38 or 357. I had a chunk of money for the revolver and a pistol permit that was nearing its expiration (not extended). I was really liking a S&W 357 but didn't have enough money. I pulled the trigger on a Taurus in 38, very similar the the S&W I was eyeing. I got the gun to the range and found the timing was slightly off, the cylinder did not perfectly align with the barrel and the projectiles were breaking before leaving the barrel. I had to send the gun back to Taurus for repair which took a couple months. Taurus customer service was great, they sent fed-ex to my door with a prepaid label and shipped the gun back when done. The gun is fine now and I enjoy shooting it. BUT, I could have extended the pistol permit, saved for 2 more months and bought the S&W that I really wanted.

The flip side of the coin, if there is some type of accessory that I'm interested in but don't know if I'd like it I don't mind going cheap as an experiment. I wanted to scope my Ruger GP100 6" 357 to try white tail hunting in DE. I got a good mount then tried cheap versions of pistol scopes to see what type I liked (red dot, standard cross hairs, different magnifications etc...). I spent less then 50 on a few scopes to try. I learned that regardless of the optic, I don't like an optic on my pistol. The crosshair optic was very difficult to align and I didn't see an advantage to the red dot for this gun. I tried, I shoot better with the irons on this gun. So, I'm glad I didn't spend money or a good scope to realize that I don't like a scoped pistol.

For a gun, I'll wait a little longer to save for what I want. If it's an accessory I'm unfamiliar with, I'll try cheap first then save if I like the idea.

• Like 1

"Buy once, cry once" is a dumb saying...everyone should be driving a Ferrari then. Set a budget and buy what you like within that budget. 

That's a stupid reaction to the saying. For one, buying a ferrari does not result in crying once. Maintenance on them is stupid expensive. 

Second, the phrase isn't usually used to buy the most expensive thing, but usually in response to should I buy THIS thing that is a bit of a stretch or THAT thing that has these deficiencies I'm aware of, but is cheaper. 

Buy once cry once isn't always the right advice, but it is something to consider every time you think about cheaping out on something. 

I am a cheap bastard. I don't like paying for expensive guns, or anything really.

If you are looking at a HiPoint, skip lunch for a few weeks and buy something else used. Shop around and use Glocks can be had in the $300-$350 range. There are even a bunch of decent new handguns in that range,

Hell for $250 you can pick a Makarov or another easter block military surplus gun which is likely to give you a much longer service life then a hipoint.

• Like 1

This deal just popped up:

https://www.slickguns.com/product/mossberg-715t-22-lr-1625-25-rd-collapsible-stock-blued-finish-18999

Is this comparable?

NVM, saw the review:  "Feels cheap."

If you are looking for a .22 that mimics a real AR, you're better off getting the M&P15-22, The Mossberg is fine, but some of the functions are not AR like. For instance, I remember the mag release is very awkward to use. As for "cheap feeling", the M&P15-22 feels like a toy too. But it's a solid rifle that works very well.

I'm not dogging on you but when I see posts about Hi Points, I remember this post a cop-trainer friend of mine put up over a year ago:

Sure, we advise people to spend wisely however sometimes, a Hi Point is all they can afford.

I'm not dogging on you but when I see posts about Hi Points, I remember this post a cop-trainer friend of mine put up over a year ago:

Midwestpx, I have to tell you, this story from the cop-trainer gave me real pause for thought.Not really abut HiPoint in particular, but regarding other shooters and the impact we might be able to have on them. Thanks for sharing this.

• Like 1

I admit, I am not a dedicated follower to this rule.

But this is the world of firearms.

That doesn't mean I will purchase a Hi Point, though I would still like advice on how often this should be applied.

Grandpa taught me to buy the best I could find for the money, but to try to get it for the best possible price. And to consider the source of said purchase, as sometimes the relationship between buyer/seller is a value to be considered as well.

Jeeze, those old farts were smarter than they let on sometimes, eh?

As you climb those steps you reach a point where for a little more money you get a discernible difference in quality. Eventually you reach a point where considerably more money buys you less of a discernible difference.

I just went thru this with a 1911.

I was torn between a guncrafter bobbed commander and a Dan Wesson vbob

I really wanted the guncrafter but just couldn't justify the extra $1200 for not a whole hell of a lot extra gun

Of course the guncrafter was nicer than the Wesson but I had a hard time finding it $1200 nicer

If your only going to buy 1 gun a year -- save and spend for quality

If you buy cheap you will buy more than 1 gun a year... Or you won't shoot much

Do it right or do it twice is what I've learned over the years.

I grew up in a repair garage my father owned for 50 years. He would always tell me "sometimes the long way is the short way" when repairing a vehicle.

It turns out to be a very true statement.

• Like 1

I just went thru this with a 1911.

I was torn between a guncrafter bobbed commander and a Dan Wesson vbob

I really wanted the guncrafter but just couldn't justify the extra $1200 for not a whole hell of a lot extra gun

Of course the guncrafter was nicer than the Wesson but I had a hard time finding it $1200 nicer

If your only going to buy 1 gun a year -- save and spend for quality

If you buy cheap you will buy more than 1 gun a year... Or you won't shoot much

True and its sometimes tough with handguns especially since the mid-range priced market gets kinda crowded now - you have to weigh to yourself "Oh I don't have the extra $150-200 for XXX gun but I can buy this gun for that amount less, its close enough in quality/features, etc" - but what is in the box, does the gun that was more expensive come with an extra $40-45 magazine, or better sights out of the box?   There's your $150 right there.

I am a cheap bastard. I don't like paying for expensive guns, or anything really.

If you are looking at a HiPoint, skip lunch for a few weeks and buy something else used. Shop around and use Glocks can be had in the $300-$350 range. There are even a bunch of decent new handguns in that range,

Hell for $250 you can pick a Makarov or another easter block military surplus gun which is likely to give you a much longer service life then a hipoint.

It's because you spend too much money on ammo!  :)

I wanted a 1911 in 9mm a few years ago. Looked around at what was out there. Was not using it for competition, just a plinker. Bought a Dan Wesson Pointman 9. Each time I bring it out, which is rare, I really enjoy shooting that gun. Not a $2500+ 1911, but it is nice. I don't even touch my 92FS now, no comparison.

It's because you spend too much money on ammo!   :)

I wanted a 1911 in 9mm a few years ago. Looked around at what was out there. Was not using it for competition, just a plinker. Bought a Dan Wesson Pointman 9. Each time I bring it out, which is rare, I really enjoy shooting that gun. Not a $2500+ 1911, but it is nice. I don't even touch my 92FS now, no comparison.

My sons Beretta 92fs is lonely, wanna give yours a new home?  :laugh:

That's up to my wife, it is legally hers (I paid for it, of course, but the permit is in her name. But....... I have a permit sitting here doing nothing, I could transfer it to myself and then sell it.)  ;)

I don't know if she still wants it, I will ask. I do have 6 or 8 mags for it.

Better make very sure she's interested in letting it go, or you may live to regret it. My wife gets VERY possessive of her belongings.

If you ain't joshing, I'll contact my son about it. Just let me know what condition it's in and a ballpark idea of $$. I'll let him know it's from a member here, he is here too, now and then, tho not as much as he'd like, with his schooling. 

I am considering an AR-15 type, I want one that happens to be on sale (looks like its built for abuse and with a match barrel, this was originally my build goal), or simply an entry level type for half the price.

One 9mm pistol with the possibility of a compatible PCC later.

I am considering M9/Px4/Cx4 Storm, or G19 and carbine (will Glock ever get in the carbine game?).

I do like safety.

I intend to purchase one firearm per year.

If not to far from you, visit Steve at Monmouth Arms and pick up an Anderson lower for about $80 out the door.  $60 for lower, $15 for NCIS and tax:

http://monmoutharms.com/firearms.html

$89 get a Lower Parts Kit (LPK):

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-freedom-lower-build-kit.html

$200, get a complete upper receiver:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-mid-length-phosphate-moe-blk-freedom-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

Another $120- $150 for mags, rear sight and compliance work (if needed)

http://palmettostatearmory.com/magpul-mbus-back-up-sight-gen-2-front-mag247.html

For about $450-$500 you have a real AR.  Steve also had a good deal a little while ago on the Ruger AR for around the same price I believe if you don't want to build the lower.

Of course the 22 version ARs will be A LOT less expensive to shoot.

As for semi-auto 9mms, look at CZs line up.  The CZ-75B (full size) and CZ-P01 (compact but I really think it's more of a midsize) are great values, very dependable and real tack drivers. Steve at Monmouth Arms will also help you acquire handguns at a very reasonable price. 

Good luck with your acquisitions. 

If not to far from you, visit Steve at Monmouth Arms and pick up an Anderson lower for about $80 out the door.  $60 for lower, $15 for NCIS and tax:

http://monmoutharms.com/firearms.html

$89 get a Lower Parts Kit (LPK):

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-freedom-lower-build-kit.html

$200, get a complete upper receiver:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-mid-length-phosphate-moe-blk-freedom-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

Another $120- $150 for mags, rear sight and compliance work (if needed)

http://palmettostatearmory.com/magpul-mbus-back-up-sight-gen-2-front-mag247.html

For about $450-$500 you have a real AR.  Steve also had a good deal a little while ago on the Ruger AR for around the same price I believe if you don't want to build the lower.

Of course the 22 version ARs will be A LOT less expensive to shoot.

As for semi-auto 9mms, look at CZs line up.  The CZ-75B (full size) and CZ-P01 (compact but I really think it's more of a midsize) are great values, very dependable and real tack drivers. Steve at Monmouth Arms will also help you acquire handguns at a very reasonable price. 

Good luck with your acquisitions. 

Thank you for the advice.

But it's been awhile and I've already purchased a complete AR rifle and awaiting for the transfer from Steve :icon_e_smile: .

I have a non cooperative work schedule, but I may have time to get it.

Perhaps my next rifle will be an AR build.