Sign in to follow this  
The brew guy

Replacement front bead/sight for SKB505?

I'm new to shotguns and just got a SKB 505. It looks to be in nice shape (haven't had a chance to try it out yet) with the exception of a missing front sight. There's a "block" at the end of the rib with a hole in it (hole does not go all the way through) and I assume there should be something in the hole to make it visible. I don't know if this takes the infamous Ray-bar sight or a standard bead. Or maybe the whole block comes off to be replaced? I don't want to experiment and risk damaging something. Anybody here familiar with this part?

I'm new to shotguns and just got a SKB 505. It looks to be in nice shape (haven't had a chance to try it out yet) with the exception of a missing front sight. There's a "block" at the end of the rib with a hole in it (hole does not go all the way through) and I assume there should be something in the hole to make it visible. I don't know if this takes the infamous Ray-bar sight or a standard bead. Or maybe the whole block comes off to be replaced? I don't want to experiment and risk damaging something. Anybody here familiar with this part?

Infamous Ray-bar?  I've got one, and I like it...What makes them infamous?

FWIH, some love 'em, some hate 'em, Ive seen more hate than love and there doesn't seem to be much middle ground. Maybe "controversial" would be more accurate.

If it helps, mine seems to be a skeet model (says "skeet" on the trigger guard) and has a mid bead.

Any thoughts on what I'd need to order?

Target models typically had a white Bradley bead from sight. The trend today is fiber optic. I have no issues with the old RayBar front sight, I've always liked them. 

http://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/78882-clueless-about-fiber-optic/?hl=raybar#entry1001351

Thread size for your shotgun should be 6-48: http://www.brownells.com/GunTech/Shotgun-Sight-Bead-Thread-List/detail.htm?lid=11183

Thanks Parker, the links helped a lot. Of course, that often leads to more questions.

I seem to have a Bradley bead, minus the bead. Looks like it should be a simple matter of twisting the old one off and a new one on. Are there any details I'm missing? Tricks for indexing? Loc-tite needed?

And to everyone, no offense was intended with the use of the word "infamous." Although I could not find pictures, I'd assumed it must be a poorly designed sight from some of the criticism I'd read, but it looks to be a pretty standard fiber optic. In all honesty, I actually like fiber optic sight, I might even consider installing one but I suspect the Bradley might work better with the mid bead.

Thanks Parker, the links helped a lot. Of course, that often leads to more questions.

I seem to have a Bradley bead, minus the bead. Looks like it should be a simple matter of twisting the old one off and a new one on. Are there any details I'm missing? Tricks for indexing? Loc-tite needed?

And to everyone, no offense was intended with the use of the word "infamous." Although I could not find pictures, I'd assumed it must be a poorly designed sight from some of the criticism I'd read, but it looks to be a pretty standard fiber optic. In all honesty, I actually like fiber optic sight, I might even consider installing one but I suspect the Bradley might work better with the mid bead.

Often the bead gets knocked off the base, fairly common with heavy use.

I would use Loctite on the threads to keep the next one in place. Some sights have a habit of rattling loose.

As for alignment, Brownells has a gunsmith tool to ensure you get perfect alignment so the face is square to the shooter, but I don't know if you'd need it for a one-time application. 

https://www.brownells.com/userdocs/learn/Inst-349%20Stgn%20Bead%20Fac%20Cutter.pdf

I have Raybar's on my Ithaca's, and one on a Browning A-5. The Raybar has held fast on the Browning's recoiling barrel since the 60's. I have nothing bad to say about it. 

Thanks again. In this case, I'm guessing it was knocked off by UPS. I'd forgotten about it, but when I first opened the case I found, and discarded, a piece of debris. It looked like a remnant of a kids arts and crafts project. I'm enough of a noob when it come to shotguns that I didn't recognise a tiny white bead with glue on one side.

Anywho, I just went to find a wrench to remove the existing sight so I could measure the length and order the correct replacement when I had an idea. Why not just fill in the empty hole with paint? I could even use glow-in-the-dark paint for a DIY night sight.

• Like 1

LOL, I imagine it would.

A visit to my wife's nail polish stash turned up a bottle of pearl white and a bottle of glow-in-the-dark clear coat. I cleaned out the hole in the sight and wiped the area with an alcohol prep pad. Two drops of pearl white filled the hole and left it slightly concave. A drop of clear left a meniscus slightly proud of the surface.if it sucks, I'm out nothing but a little time (and I took a sick day today, so my time is covered) and I can just go back to the original plan and replace it.