MLArmory

Extreme FID wait time need advice and assistance

In my experience, the squeaky wheel gets the grease and does not get "ignored" or their application doesn't magically get "lost in the system".

I tend to agree, it seems like every time I start calling and following up, professionally and politely of course, I start seeing progress.

This is a process that has been exposed for what it is (a complete failure) time and time again with no fix because our state legislature doesn't want to fix it. In their eyes, the harder it is and the longer it takes to get an FID and/or PtP, the better. They hope that we'll just give up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Next step is Attorney General, Governor's office, state legislature. It is really a shame that I have to take it this far. Really? I have to write a letter to our congressmen to get them to comply with their own system?

It's your system too, fellow citizen! You have every right to fix it and every duty to speak up when someone fails you by it.

Let me know if you want any help to proofread that letter. I'm serious.

• Like 2

I sent an email to the Governors office on Tuesday letting them know that my wait for my change of address was over 90 days. I received a reply Wednesday saying that it was being forwarded to the Attorney General. I am hoping that my FID wont be lost in the shuffle because I am stirring the pot. Here's the link I used http://www.state.nj.us/governor/contact/

I did the same two weeks ago. Last week I received a similar email regarding forwarding to AG. I refuse to wait any longer without causing a sh#tstorm. 3 months is more than enough time. I put money aside so I can purchase my handgun as soon as I receive my FID and PPs. I ordered three, so let's see how this works out. Best of luck to you and the rest of those suffering the same infringement of our Second Amendment right.

• Like 1

In my experience, the squeaky wheel gets the grease and does not get "ignored" or their application doesn't magically get "lost in the system".

This is a true statement.  The person who is afraid of stirring the pot will be ignored.  Any written formal complaint has to be addresses and nobody wants to deal with those.

Still no reply from FIU.  Certified letters are going to be sent out to Attorney General and State Police HQ's Professional Standards on Monday if still no response from FIU. Why does the Firearms Investigation Unit not respond to any calls or voicemails?  I have been contacting them for months I have still yet to receive a single response.

Still no reply from FIU.  Certified letters are going to be sent out to Attorney General and State Police HQ's Professional Standards on Monday if still no response from FIU. Why does the Firearms Investigation Unit not respond to any calls or voicemails?  I have been contacting them for months I have still yet to receive a single response.

Same here -- will begin a writting campaign, and will not stop until I get some answers. 

I'm surprised no one has brought a civil rights suit against the state. Even if they do issue the FID it's well beyond an infringement of your rights, people are just all too happy to wait a year and then get their FID and forget about it.

I have been saying the same thing. We really need to gather people and have some type of civil suit against NJ. These delays and waiting times are unconstitutional at the very least. I am not too familar how to start one. I would certainly participate if such lawsuit was filed. 

I have been saying the same thing. We really need to gather people and have some type of civil suit against NJ. These delays and waiting times are unconstitutional at the very least. I am not too familar how to start one. I would certainly participate if such lawsuit was filed.

A professional question,

Other than this forum, whom have you contacted about your plight?

By whom I mean nj based 2a groups?

An alternative to go to the county prosecutors office and file a formal criminal complaint against the police chief and mayor of the town.The prosecutor is required to then do a formal investigation at no cost to you. At the very least it will wake everyone up as it no longer can be just ignored. I believe that the NJ2AS used this technique on some of the worst offending large towns.

I receive a call today from Lt. Ross of the Firearm Division. He was responding to my letter that I wrote to the Governor's Office. He is going to investigate the delay and hope to have it resolve for me by early next week. He left me his direct line; so, I can follow up with him next week. He said that the person at  the Hope barracks should not wait any longer than a couple of weeks for the mental health check in NY.

I will update this as soon as something new is to report. 

In light of the AG press release this week, perhaps you'd like to file a letter asking the AG exactly how he intends to make the State Police comply with his directive.

Or file a formal complaint.

Amazing. Well at least you have some hope this gets quickly resolved. Good luck.

I hope so. I'll wait and see what happens by next week.

Still waiting on my FID unfortunately.  No follow-ups from FIU or information.

Sorry to hear that you haven't heard anything. Hopefully you will get a call soon. It seems that they may be getting some pressure from the Gov to get this under control. Election year's can benefit us at times.

In light of the AG press release this week, perhaps you'd like to file a letter asking the AG exactly how he intends to make the State Police comply with his directive.

Or file a formal complaint.

I am going to wait until next week. If I am not satisfied, I plan on following step 3 suggested by NJ2AS:

"3.) If you get no satisfaction from the Police Department or if they are non-committal, make an appointment with your Mayor and/or town council and/or municipal attorney to discuss this problem and ask politely for their assistance....."

http://www.nj2as.com/delays 

"3.) If you get no satisfaction from the Police Department or if they are non-committal, make an appointment with your Mayor and/or town council and/or municipal attorney to discuss this problem and ask politely for their assistance....."

Your mayor and town council have no authority, control or probably even influence over the Red Lion NJSP barracks or the FIU in Trenton. That's why I suggested the AG.

Your mayor and town council have no authority, control or probably even influence over the Red Lion NJSP barracks or the FIU in Trenton. That's why I suggested the AG.

Great point. My original letter did go to the AG. They in turn forwarded a copy of it to the head of the Firearm Division for an investigation on why the delay. Lt. Ross seemed adamant that Hope NJSP should not have allowed it to be delayed this long. Especially because of the delay being NY mental health check. He explained that a Judge made a ruling that mental health checks should be done beyond NJ. Judge has no clue on the logistics of obtaining out of state mental health checks. Unfortunately. the person in charge of Hope NJSP FID Dept. is on vacation this week. This is why he has asked for a week to get back to me. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and will work with him first.  

BTW, you have been great with your replies and I thank you for taking the time. 

X2

Have you sent a complaint to http://www.state.nj.us/governor/contact/ ? This is how I got the ball rolling. I wrote a heavily detailed (chronological order) letter. I referenced two cases where delays actually cost lives. I included the  NJ code 2C:58-3 - Purchase of firearms - section F. I also added that I hope to never need one to defend my family and not have it due to these infringing delays.  I am paraphrasing it. Who knows, maybe that got them motivated to contact me. :)

I wish you the best of luck and let us know of any updates.

Have you sent a complain to http://www.state.nj.us/governor/contact/ ? This is how I got the ball rolling. I wrote a heavily detailed (chronological order) letter. I referenced two cases where delays actually cost lives. Include the  NJ code 2C:58-3 - Purchase of firearms - section F. I also added that I hope to never need one to defend my family and not have it due to these infringing delays.  I am paraphrasing it. Who knows, maybe that got them motivated to contact me. :)

I wish you the best of luck and let us know of any updates.

Yes I have, I received a response saying that is was forwarded to the Attorney Generals office. That was a few weeks ago. My wait time for a change of address is now over 4 months.

BTW, you have been great with your replies and I thank you for taking the time. 

No problem. But one thing. I guess I confused you with the OP using Red Lion barracks. Your barracks is Hope Station. I'm in Sussex county and have had my own delay issues with Augusta. But I've heard over the last several years that Hope is consistently worse. In some cases much worse.

This is one thing really bad about using the NJSP: you can't be sure where the delay is. At least I haven't been able to nail it down.

• Like 1

No problem. But one thing. I guess I confused you with the OP using Red Lion barracks. Your barracks is Hope Station. I'm in Sussex county and have had my own delay issues with Augusta. But I've heard over the last several years that Hope is consistently worse. In some cases much worse.

This is one thing really bad about using the NJSP: you can't be sure where the delay is. At least I haven't been able to nail it down.

Have you gotten any permits lately?  Sergeant Hollar is great to deal with and goes out of his way to be helpful.  Last year he contacted my references the day I dropped off my application.  I had my permits in about 5 weeks, this year it took 6 weeks.