Jon

Quick deployment plate carrier

How much quicker can these so called rapid deployment plate carriers be put on, and is it significantly quicker and easier than going with a traditional PC? If so, what options are out there? I'm looking for a carrier that can be tossed over concealable body armor and secured with one hand quickly while moving if need be.

https://www.shellbacktactical.com/banshee-qd-quick-deployment-rifle-plate-carrier/

Looks like the "Quick Deployment" part is the clips up front under the front MOLLE panel.  You can pull up the panel and click those on.

That's a lot faster than the traditional plate carriers and vests that I have that click together on the side.  You're still going to have to grab it and throw it on over your concealable carrier, but you should be able to do it 1 handed, provided you can pull up the panel and clip the clips with 1 hand...  Would be much faster with 2 hands, however.

Buy good gear that covers you appropriately and armor that will stop the rounds you need it to.

Take the 30-45 seconds and gear up correctly - "haste makes waste" has never been truer then when you are scared and your heart rate pegs 200, and it feels like you are wearing boxing gloves of you try to do anything you haven't practiced ad-naseum.

You only have the rest of your life ahead of you. "Go slow - but hurry up about it" is what you need to rememebr.

Don't get wrapped around the axle on how fast you can throw it on. All PCs can be put on quick enough with practice - yes, you need to practice getting dressed ;)

I stop immediately when I get a hot call, get out, put on my armor and sling my rifle, before driving to the meet up/deployment point for the call.

Don't be donning armor in view of the crisis scene.

This is the carrier I have for patrol:

http://www.uniteduniform.com/protech-plate-rack-tac-pr/

I put three rifle mags across the front with an IFAK and smoke grenade on the back.

• Like 1

Buy good gear that covers you appropriately and armor that will stop the rounds you need to it. Take the 30-45 seconds and gear up correctly - "haste makes waste" has never been truer then when you are scared and heart rate legs 200.

You only have the rest of your life ahead of you. "Go slow - but hurry up about it" is what you need to rememebr.

Don't get wrapped around the axle on how fast you can throw it on. All PCs can be put on quick enough with practice - yes, you need to practice getting dressed ;)

I stop immediately when I get a hot call, get out, put on my armor and sling my rifle, before driving to the meet up/deployment point for the call.

I put three rifle mags across the front with an IFAK and smoke grenade on the back.

Great advice, and who I was hoping would chime in. Ive never even held a pc let alone put one on, so I was unaware what it took to deploy. Thoughts on ceramic vs steel?

• Like 1

Great advice, and who I was hoping would chime in. Ive never even held a pc let alone put one on, so I was unaware what it took to deploy. Thoughts on ceramic vs steel?

Plates?  Definitely Ceramic.  I've seen videos of AR500 steel plates being completely punched through with rated ammo.  Put it through a hunting rifle with a 20" barrel vs a 14.5" AR, that M855 goes right through... Like Buttah.

Fuck steel! :D

Get a hybrid HDPE/Ceramic. It is lighter and wil

Cover a wide range of rifle threats. Check out Velocity Systems and SKD. They have good armor for decent prices.

Pay close attention for the chosen armor's ability to stop your issued duty rounds for the riflegun. You want your armor to stop your partner's rounds if necessary. Look at the threats in your area. Are you seeing more AKs/SKS, or more of grandpapy's .30-30? Tailor your armor to that.

When you start researching, it is all voodoo and black magic - Trust but verify.

Again, as far as quickly donning - Don't rush, don't get sucked into the "rapid" part of "Rapid Response" - (side note, I hate the term "rapid response". It should be "Deliberate Response". Don't be fast, be thorough. But that is a topic for another day.)

Jon, I am working 6p-midnight. Call me after you have dinner.

Buy good gear that covers you appropriately and armor that will stop the rounds you need it to.

Take the 30-45 seconds and gear up correctly - "haste makes waste" has never been truer then when you are scared and your heart rate pegs 200, and it feels like you are wearing boxing gloves of you try to do anything you haven't practiced ad-naseum.

HE-

Do you have to be LEO to be able to order that? 

Thanks,

S. 

as far as I know, anyone can buy one. It is ideal for patrol cops because it is sized well to go over the soft armor you already wear.

The carrier itself has no armor. You need to buy the plates and backers (if necessary) separately.

If I was buying a PC for myself without the requirement to fit over armor I am already wearing, I would probably get the TT/Shellback Banshee (or whatever they just replaced it with is called).