Princetonian58

1911 Recommendations

Both are nice guns and both companies have good customer service (Ruger's is awesome actually).  They will both shoot very well.  

Personally I like the Ruger for the upgrades.  The mi-spec is cool but not my cup of tea.  If you were looking to learn to work on a 1911 and do some mods, it's an awesome starting point.  

Just know, 1911's are extremely addictive.  

C

I shoot a Springfield Armory Range Officer - one of 3 guns I use for IDPA - the Range Officer is the straightest shooter of the 3 (yeah, that could be me).

Colt has a new "competition" 1911 out this year, pretty gun, I have no experience with it (yet).

Can't go wrong with the Springfield or Ruger.  I also hear good things about Rock Island 1911's.  I personally have a Springfield and a Para Ordnance, and I will be picking up a Metro Ordnance American Classic trophy at the end of the month.  https://americanclassic.eagleimportsinc.com/americanclassic/firearms/trophy-series

The problem with cheaper 1911s is the use of MIM parts. They break much more easily. Most reputable companies will repair and replace broken parts but it also means your gun is out of commission for a period of time.

I'd spend a little more and go with a slightly higher model of a springer.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

I have the range officer and a couple rock islands. All great, but I like the rocks better.

Damn wish I knew you had a few, I'm strongly considering a rock for my next purchase. I'm having a hard time deciding between 22tcm/9 and 45

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

How about Kimber?? whats your thoughts them guys

Pass. They make a decent gun for the money but have huge quality control issues and a high failure rate. I would never spend my money on one. Ymmv

• Like 1

How about Kimber?? whats your thoughts them guys

I've got a Kimber and they are nice guns, but not super reliable.  I can't even count the number of feed failures I have with it.  Nice range toy but I would not use mine for competition or home defense.  As for MIM parts, I would not be too concerned.  I have a bunch of guns with them and have never had any issues with thousands of rounds through them.  

Pass. They make a decent gun for the money but have huge quality control issues and a high failure rate. I would never spend my money on one. Ymmv

Again, all hearsay. Hi qc issues and failures. I'm not getting into this Kimber bullshit arguments again, but unless you own one or have vital statistics, give it up. And when they do have issues as any company that sells tons of product, they have excellent CS. They make good.

I have 3 and looking for more. Not one single issue. Want to argue about it? Head over to the KimberTalk forums and try grind glass over there. You'll see.

I've got a Kimber and they are nice guns, but not super reliable. I can't even count the number of feed failures I have with it. Nice range toy but I would not use mine for competition or home defense. As for MIM parts, I would not be too concerned. I have a bunch of guns with them and have never had any issues with thousands of rounds through them.

Have CS look at it. Mine eat everything I throw at them.

Or, sell it to me. I'd gladly make due.

You claim that you don't want to argue but clearly that isn't the case. Like I said I wouldn't spend MY money on one

Sorry, but hearsay is not reason to steer people. Post facts and stats, not hearsay. I'll bow out and let you folks piss into the wind.

Cheers!

I have no idea to find the statistics of how many guns kimber produces vs how many they get sent back(multiple times in multiple cases) but I'd bet good money it's significantly higher then a comparable manufacturer. I am putting my money where my mouth is and spending it on a gun I know will go bang every time (and not a literal explosion).

Once again this is my opinion so everyone else in this thread take it as you will but look at the only other kimber owner so far in this posts answer.

To the OP, what is your budget?  I currently have GSG, Rock Island, Para, Sig, Colt, Kimber, Smith & Wesson and a Novak Custom model.  It's a time-tested platform that you can get into for under $400 or spend $4,000 if you have it.

For a first timer to the platform I recommend the full-size version in .45acp.  It's what everyone first thinks of when you say 1911.  My suggestion is to set your budget and buy one of the major brands in that range.  Look at some of the features - internal vs. external extractors, sights, grip shape, rail or not, steel or alloy frame, etc - and buy from one of the major brands.

At the lower end my Rock Island is a great shooter (but is a 9mm). At the middle, I have a Sig Tacops .45 that is a brick.  Want to spend more?  There is no upper limit to what you can spend - lots of custom and high-end builders.  My Novak is an $800 gun with $2,200 of work done to it.  

If your local to Heritage Guild Easton or want to make a trip let me know.  Always happy to make it a 1911 day.

• Like 1

To the OP, what is your budget?  I currently have GSG, Rock Island, Para, Sig, Colt, Kimber, Smith & Wesson and a Novak Custom model.  It's a time-tested platform that you can get into for under $400 or spend $4,000 if you have it.

For a first timer to the platform I recommend the full-size version in .45acp.  It's what everyone first thinks of when you say 1911.  My suggestion is to set your budget and buy one of the major brands in that range.  Look at some of the features - internal vs. external extractors, sights, grip shape, rail or not, steel or alloy frame, etc - and buy from one of the major brands.

At the lower end my Rock Island is a great shooter (but is a 9mm). At the middle, I have a Sig Tacops .45 that is a brick.  Want to spend more?  There is no upper limit to what you can spend - lots of custom and high-end builders.  My Novak is an $800 gun with $2,200 of work done to it.  

If your local to Heritage Guild Easton or want to make a trip let me know.  Always happy to make it a 1911 day.

My budget is going to be $1000.  I'm not too close to HGE, though.  Thanks for the offer.

sorry, what are "MIM" parts and how would i know if a particular 1911 pistol has it?

Metal injection molding. Metal made from particles that are melted and injected into a specific design.

It's not as strong and breaks faster.

Usually found on cheaper guns.

Lots of great options out there. Pick one that has the features you want with a reputable manufacturer.

Springfield has my vote. Best CS out there.

Range officer

Range officer operator

Loaded

TRP

Trophy Match

All good choices

Metal injection molding. Metal made from particles that are melted and injected into a specific design.

It's not as strong and breaks faster.

Usually found on cheaper guns.

MIM does not equate to cheaper guns... bad MIM equates to cheaper guns.

Ruger has probably some of the best technology for MIM/castings, so if I were going to get something with MIM parts, I'd be less worried about a Ruger (likewise, I feel S&W got better when I got my 642, but that was a few years back). But a big thing is that MIM does lower costs...

With MIM parts, a SR1911 easily goes in the $600 to $700 range. If all the MIM parts were milled, you'd likely be looking close to the $1,000+ range. Milling parts is expensive, with all the tooling involved. It comes down to a similar argument with cast verses forged M1As. Everyone wants a forged receiver... until they see the price difference. Life wise, there really isn't that much difference with cast receivers... if done correctly. Same is true with MIM parts, if they were produced correctly. Irregularities in the injection cause most of the problems people face. For a company that is giving you a "cheap" firearm... it is cost effective to have crappy product control to get units into the market. If there are issues, it is warrantied and fixed.

With that being said, I'll give a recommendation to the SR1911... being I have one. One thing that not a lot of people bring up is the integrated plunger tube, as opposed to the staked one. Less chance of failure in my eyes. If you don't like the MIM parts, pay the money to change out the hammer, trigger, magazine release, and MSH. I'll probably do it over time... not for the MIM parts, but to match the gun to stainless instead of black accents. [emoji41]

For non MIM 1911, you would need to look at Dan Wesson, Ed Brown or Wilson Combat which are substantially more expensive. The top Springfield models may still have MIM parts.

Like others have stated, MIM parts should be fine. I have a STI Spartan with a 2 lb trigger job with no issues after about 2000 rounds. The big issue with cheaper guns is the fit and finish. The STI Spartan was made in the Philippines. The fit and finish leaves much to be desired but it works.

I don't have any experience with Ruger but do have a Springfield RO. The fit and finish was much better at the price point they are charging.

You can pay more for a tighter lockup and better accuracy. If you go that route, you are probably looking at a full blown custom.