Sign in to follow this  
Ace08066

Looking for a slug gun... and confused.

So I'm looking for a tactical shottie I can put slugs and buckshot in, maybe even breaching rounds (Or dragon's breath if I can find em...) purely for the sake of having fun and putting holes in things.  I ran into a little bit of confusion while researching slugs and I figured someone here could easily clear it up and maybe just recommend a cheap gun for me.  Purely looking for a fun gun here.

I've found there's a vast array of different types of slugs in two categories: Sabot and Rifled.  From what information I've gotten so far the sabot slugs are for rifled barrels and the rifled slugs are for smooth barrels...  Which seemed counter-intuitive to me.  Basically instead of me driving myself nuts I'm hoping one of ya'll could tell me the cheapest way to go (Gun + future ammunition).  Some things have said the sabot slugs are far more expensive, some said the rifled slugs are more expensive.

At the moment I'm thinking just go with a 18" smooth bore pump with no choke and just buy the cheapest rounds I can.  I mean I can put anything through a regular smooth bore non-choked barrel without issues, right?  Or would I be locked into only rifled rounds?  If I get a rifled barrel would I have an issue putting buck/breach/DB through it?  

I remember seeing a 18" barrel Savage 12ga at Dick's a while back for I think $189.  That a good buy for a strictly fun gun?  Any known problems?  Frequent jamming is rage inducing to me...  Which is why my 870 has been in the closet for 6 months.

Thnx fellers

You have yet slug terminology right. If you are wanting to shoot 100 yards accurately the slug barrel is your best bet. Most manufacturer sell a combo kit where you get a smooth bore and rifled barrel combo. You can shoot rifled slugs thru a smooth bore no problem but DO NOT SHOOT ANYTHING BUT SABOT OUT OF A RIFLED BARREL. it will damage it

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

To add, if you have an 870 already have someone look at it they are one of the most popular (and should be one of the most reliable) shotguns out there. Solve your issue first instead of buying a new gun. A $20 fix is cheaper then a $200 gun by far

There are standard smooth bore shotgun barrels - you can shoot birdshot and buckshot through these barrels.  You can shoot rifled slugs as well (for the most part - if you have chokes you want to make sure they're not too restrictive).  However, your accuracy with rifled slugs will be limited (usually 100 yards or less).  If you're hunting in NJ with slugs, you need actual sights (rifle style or an optic).  If you can keep the shots within an 8" circle at 100 yards you should be fine to hunt with rifled (aka foster) slugs and a smoothbore barrel.

Barrel length matters too - an 18.5" security barrel is ok for short distances, but if you're hunting or shooting clays, it will be pretty useless.

Since you have an 870 already, I would look at fixing the issues with that first.  It may be a simple issue with your chamber needing to be polished/deburred a bit, or your extractor fixed/replaced.

To add, if you have an 870 already have someone look at it they are one of the most popular (and should be one of the most reliable) shotguns out there. Solve your issue first instead of buying a new gun. A $20 fix is cheaper then a $200 gun by far

Well my 870 is specifically for shooting clays.  Like I said, I'm looking for a cheap, short shotgun to just screw around with.  Putting holes in old TV's and such, not looking to hunt with it.  I'm happy with my 870 - it just has issues with Herter's ammo for some reason.  Runs great with everything else.  The short barrel for the 870 is $150, so I figure I might as well spend $200 and just buy a whole other shotgun specifically for having fun, plinking, etc.  No intention to hunt with it :p

That being said...  So more-or-less if I just buy a smooth bore with a cylinder choke I can put anything through it no problem, but if I buy one with a rifled barrel I'm restricted to sabot slugs and I'm guessing buckshot wouldn't be too kind to the rifling either?  

Well my 870 is specifically for shooting clays. Like I said, I'm looking for a cheap, short shotgun to just screw around with. Putting holes in old TV's and such, not looking to hunt with it. I'm happy with my 870 - it just has issues with Herter's ammo for some reason. Runs great with everything else. The short barrel for the 870 is $150, so I figure I might as well spend $200 and just buy a whole other shotgun specifically for having fun, plinking, etc. No intention to hunt with it[emoji14]

That being said... So more-or-less if I just buy a smooth bore with a cylinder choke I can put anything through it no problem, but if I buy one with a rifled barrel I'm restricted to sabot slugs and I'm guessing buckshot wouldn't be too kind to the rifling either?

Herters has problems in my guns. You could pick up a barrel lightly used for much cheaper

Buy something with chokes. I find that smooth barreled guns will shoot very different pattern with different slugs and different chokes.  I'm quite happy with the shots I can make with a smooth bore and IM chokes with the right slugs.

Plus cylinder bores are kinda useless, you can't control buckshot patterns enough in my opinion.