Rob0115

Starting my first bolt action precision rifle

Scored a Leupold Mk6 3-18x44 from Mike.  My wallet is exhausted.  I need to learn the marathon instead of the sprint but I can't wait to see this thing.  

Well.....while I'm dumping a bunch to make life easier there is a silver lining and that's my first of two bolt builds.

Looks like Mike's getting busy on my win mag build. Saw the first few photos of the barrel work. Very exciting indeed.

Well.....while I'm dumping a bunch to make life easier there is a silver lining and that's my first of two bolt builds.

Looks like Mike's getting busy on my win mag build. Saw the first few photos of the barrel work. Very exciting indeed.

ahh that is your 300 he's building. I saw his post yesterday. Congrats i hear Mike is a very talented builder. I just had him cerakote a rifle for me and he will be doing my 308 shorty build as soon as my stock and barrel are in from Manners and Bartlein.

6.5 creed seems to be very popular these days.

^^^^^^^^^^ Agreed. 6.5 Creedmoor, Its a straight shooting round! Great for distance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/04/25/how-much-does-cartridge-matter/

Not a very good story for .308 here.  6 and 6.5 virtually the same but better life on a 6.5.  Look at the 26 Nosler and the comment that accurate barrel life may be 1000 rounds.  Ugh.  

personally i like 308 but then again i really don't have availability to ranges over 600 yards and I'm not a seasoned long range shooter either. As i get more expierenced i might end up building a 6.5 C.

are there any public spots nearby i can shoot out to 1000?? 

personally i like 308 but then again i really don't have availability to ranges over 600 yards and I'm not a seasoned long range shooter either. As i get more expierenced i might end up building a 6.5 C.

are there any public spots nearby i can shoot out to 1000?? 

I'd think you have to travel to PA for that.  There's a few within 45 mins of my home in FL which is where these are going to be headed.  

OK--poor Mike has his ATF audit this week so I'll get my rifle afterward.  However, since this is in the home stretch it's time to get build two moving.  I think I'm going to buy a KRG X-Ray chassis, they are getting great reviews and too cheap to pass up on.   I'm still caught between the 6.5 calibers but may do the Lapua because I'm a whore for their brass.  I don't have a barrel blank yet but I'm looking at Krieger and Bartlen right now.  I have to check my two 30 cal suppressor for threading because I'm assuming they'll be fine a 6.5 L or C.  They are rated for 300 win mag.  

I picked it up yesterday it is mind blowing.  I had it at GFH to sight a couple rounds and it is freakin' awesome.  The Mk VI scope I bought from mike is mind blowing quality glass--better than anything I've ever had.  The CG Jackson trigger is fantastic as well.  Now I'm going to try and cook up a few rounds of home mades for a CR run in a month.  

I'll post up a few photos with scope and bipod mounted.  It's really cool.

I dropped off all my SA stuff for a 6.5x47 build when I picked up.  I saw a badass AK conversion on his wall so I'll now be dropping off my uncoverted Saiga for the treatment including shortening the barrel to 14.5, Lantac brake, Midwest industries handuard MLok-2 with T1 cover.  And maybe a nice paint job?

Man.....that thing must've been loud in there. Lol

It was, but I plugged and wore my head gear. They had a 50 BMG out there that a customer just wanted to try so this wasn't as bad, but it isn't really indoor friendly. :) If it wasn't such a crap day I'd have gone to CR. I just really couldn't wait to try. It's like a work of art. Can't wait for the SA piece and the Saigs conversion.

50bmg would be brutal indoors. When I shoot it on the hp range at CJ ppl come over from the shotgun field to see what's going on...

MK6 is good glass congrats on the purchase! It is as clear or more so than more expensive counterparts.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I honestly don't love AR indoor fire so for me the 300 and the 50 were a bit over the top. I fired 3 no one on the range just after a class. If there were people there I'd have passed to be fair. The 50 was a few weeks back and I wasn't in the range--I was snacking on candy in the lounge.

Beautiful rifle.  Congratulations bud.

I can't wait to see what you cook up for the 6.5.  I think you'll like the Lapua round.  My buddy shot mine and was shocked at accuracy and lack of recoil.  

Some kid in Virginia just shot one to a mile.  So, it'll go the distance for sure.  

C

Beautiful rifle.  Congratulations bud.

I can't wait to see what you cook up for the 6.5.  I think you'll like the Lapua round.  My buddy shot mine and was shocked at accuracy and lack of recoil.  

Some kid in Virginia just shot one to a mile.  So, it'll go the distance for sure.  

C

I'm pumped about the SA after getting the LA rifle done.  I think it'll be cool, the chassis is nice and it's a bartlein blank, add a bit of T1D magic and poof bad ass rig.  

I'm actually cooking up a Saiga 100 7.62 to Ak format with Mike that I think is gong to be bad ass.  

Ok the rumor is the SA build may be done! Mike cooked up some cool ideas on the paint job. I just scored a G2DMR off the snipers hide last night so this puppy should be ready for some shooting soon. I hope it warms up by the time I get it back, I'm such a pussy in the cold weather.

I have to cook up a few rounds. I have H4895 and 8202x.

• Like 1