Ricky_Bobby

Where's all My Cross Dominant People at?

well i understand the issue now. all the while i thought i was right eye right hand dominant. turns out i'm left eye dominant. trying to learn to shoot with both eyes open. i can do it pretty easily, but the target is a blurry mess. as in i can barely make it out. there's no way i'm as accurate that way as i am if i just close my right eye and adjust the gun a little to the left

• Like 1

I've been struggling with this also, trying to land on the method that works best for me. Others have mentioned using scotch tape... or a translucent blinder on the dominant eye lens. FYI, I recently found these other products too - frosted plastic dots that self-cling to your glasses: 

http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com/shop/shooters-magic-eye-dots

http://www.shotspot.co.uk/US/

​I haven't tried them, so can't recommend them or not. But I used another idea this week that I found on the internet (these are all based on the same principle; that if you slightly blur the lens directly in front of your dominant eye, the brain will instantly switch over to the other eye without sacrificing light or peripheral vision).

I bought a tube of cherry Chapstick. When prepping to shoot, I used it to make a  very thin, smudgy nickel-sized spot on my glasses/dominant eye. It worked LIKE A CHARM! It was the first time that I could actually "feel" my non-dominant (right) eye taking over. It allowed me to use my right hand (I'm a natural righty) and I was shooting really well.  Best part... when done shooting, it just wiped off with a tissue. So it was super-cheap, very effective, and left no adhesive residue on my glasses. And to be honest, the cherry scent wafting in the air was kinda nice too.  

​So, if you're looking for a cheap way to test out this blurring technique, try the Chapstick. You can always step up to a more elegant solution afterwards. (...more elegant than the eye-gouging method recommended by the above post).

• Like 1

I've been struggling with this also, trying to land on the method that works best for me. Others have mentioned using scotch tape... or a translucent blinder on the dominant eye lens. FYI, I recently found these other products too - frosted plastic dots that self-cling to your glasses: 

http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com/shop/shooters-magic-eye-dots

http://www.shotspot.co.uk/US/

​I haven't tried them, so can't recommend them or not. But I used another idea this week that I found on the internet (these are all based on the same principle; that if you slightly blur the lens directly in front of your dominant eye, the brain will instantly switch over to the other eye without sacrificing light or peripheral vision).

I bought a tube of cherry Chapstick. When prepping to shoot, I used it to make a  very thin, smudgy nickel-sized spot on my glasses/dominant eye. It worked LIKE A CHARM! It was the first time that I could actually "feel" my non-dominant (right) eye taking over. It allowed me to use my right hand (I'm a natural righty) and I was shooting really well.  Best part... when done shooting, it just wiped off with a tissue. So it was super-cheap, very effective, and left no adhesive residue on my glasses. And to be honest, the cherry scent wafting in the air was kinda nice too.  

​So, if you're looking for a cheap way to test out this blurring technique, try the Chapstick. You can always step up to a more elegant solution afterwards. (...more elegant than the eye-gouging method recommended by the above post).

This is a phenomenal and free idea - I will do this the next time I go shooting as I'd like to start to train my left eye to be dominant when shooting - I'm fine with shooting pistols with either hand but on long guns it definitely doesn't feel as natural shooting righty (although in an off hand situation I'm sure I could)

• Like 1

I recently put an "Easy-Hit" fiberoptic sight on my shotgun but have yet to try it out. Just mounting and pointing in the house, I have to say that I like it a lot. My gun originally came with a HiViz Pro-Comp fiber-optic sight, and I'd see two of them when focusing past the gun. With the dot buried in the tube, I now only see the dot under my non-dominant eye (which is aligned with the rib). I'm able to mount, confirm alignment and then point where I expect with both eye open. A quick wink of my dominant eye confirms I'm on target. I hope to try it out in the field later this week.

Im right handed but left eye dominant...shoot pistols fine righty as long is i hold closer to my left side. Longs guns i shoot lefty. it works well for me...the only problem is if i were to loose my left hand I'm shit out luck...my right eye is very weak. very hard to pick up the sights accurately. I better start learning how to shoot from the hip!