Lambo2936

Suggestions on single stack handguns for small handed shooter?

As the title states, i have fairly small hands. As a result, just about anything ive held doesnt fit right in my hand. I already have a Ruger SR1911 which is fantastic but id like to pick something up in 9mm. Not sure what they make in 9mm that is single stack or very slim grip without being ridiculously compact? Itll be hard to beat the fit of the 1911 for me. Any suggestions for what to look at when i visit the LGS? Id like it to be a full size or near full size handgun, not too interested in the really small glocks (i forget which one it was i held). A glock 19 or something like that would be nice but from what ive seen the grip is much wider. Have yet to hold/shoot one, though.

Walther PPS M2 - for the price its a great compact 9mm single stack - about $420 shipped to your FFL plus transfer and fees

EDIT: Saw you wanted a fuller sized one - yes I agree a 1911 in 9mm then

Just how small are your hands?  I have smaller hands too so I feel your pain and a Glock 19 looks to fit me great, if you get the Gen4 they have the "SF" small frame size out of the box, and the included backstraps will increase the grip diameter -  I have a Taurus 1911 .45 and even with slim grips my thumb cannot reach the mag release on it without shifting my grip for reference.

Im just shy of 5'5". They arent ridiculously small, but i am a size small in adult gloves for the most part.

I dont really care about barrel length too much. My primary concern was the height of the grip, if that makes sense. On a 1911 i can get my hands around it perfectly and therefore i have no problem controlling it, and its a 45. The reason i said full size is that some of the compact glocks leave my pinky hanging off the bottom or resting on the magazine, which to me is a huge no no. Im a small dude and if my entire hand isnt on the grip, it basically creates a pivot point in my hand, which is no bueno. I love my 1911 but id like something different. In the long run im certain ill pick up another, but right now id like something more modern as a range toy and something i can carry out of state/if(when) i leave the state.

It also doesnt HAVE to be single stack, that is just what im used to and all i have found fits my hand right. My buddy has a sig 2022 or something and its nice and all but i seem to have more control with my 45 1911 than his 9. Probably due entirely to my hand being wrapped around nicely on the 1911 versus holding on for dear life and getting more barrel rise/flip than id like.

What guns have you tried?

Ruger SR9/SR9C has a relatively slim grip but I can't stand the trigger.

Guns like the Glock Gen 4's, S&W M&P, Springfield XD have interchangeable backstraps, which you could change out to work with smaller or larger hands.

Browning or FN Hi Power stock grips are relatively slim too as stated.

Im just shy of 5'5". They arent ridiculously small, but i am a size small in adult gloves for the most part.

I dont really care about barrel length too much. My primary concern was the height of the grip, if that makes sense. On a 1911 i can get my hands around it perfectly and therefore i have no problem controlling it, and its a 45. The reason i said full size is that some of the compact glocks leave my pinky hanging off the bottom or resting on the magazine, which to me is a huge no no. Im a small dude and if my entire hand isnt on the grip, it basically creates a pivot point in my hand, which is no bueno. I love my 1911 but id like something different. In the long run im certain ill pick up another, but right now id like something more modern as a range toy and something i can carry out of state/if(when) i leave the state.

OK so I'm 5'7" and wear a Medium in adult gloves so we are similar - you want your pinky to always be on the grip, and you love your 1911 - yet as a possibility to carry it down the line?  Then if it was me that last point would steer me from 1911's - I love my 1911 but the bobtail on it and the weight keeps me from ever wanting to carry it (unless I can carry openly) - we aren't big dudes and I'm decently athletic /weightlifting body type at 185-190 lbs and I probably wouldn't want to carry a 1911

The Walther PPS M2 should be a nice fit for you, compact gun with pretty ergonomic grip, if you can find the LE version, it comes with 3 mags, 6 rounds flush, 7 and 8 rounds with pinky extension - you might not like the flush mag but your pinky should be close to getting on the grip.

Maybe a Sig 320 (Compact, Full, or Carry should all be able to get all fingers on it) with the Small grip module?  You could get a Subcompact conversion kit for it to if you ever wanted to carry it out of state.

Lambo,

I'm in the same boat. I previously suggested RIA 1911 9mm, because you already shoot a 1911. If your looking for something a little more handy, try a Walther. I own a CCP and it fits my hand perfectly. Have you considered a revolver?

• Like 1

Id like to pick up a revolver at some point and was contemplating one as a carry gun (later on when i leave PRNJ) but a range gun for now. TBH, though, i never shot one not have i ever even held one.

As for what handguns ive shot, not too many i cant even remember which. Shot a 1911, the sig 2022 or whatever that was, a desert eagle i rented way back and a few others. Only one that feels right is the 1911 but like you guys said, a 45 isnt exactly the greatest carry gun, haha. Im going to go up to easton heritage to hold and then test fire some stuff, i think. If i find something i like ill just pay and wait a month for my p2p. Trying to pick up a handgun or 2 more before i move rather than rifles because in the real USA there are much nicer, cheaper toys available. Handguns will be the same.

Hopefully i can get out before the new governor is elected, because thats probably when NJs interpretation of the 2A goes to shit (worse than now).

Id like to pick up a revolver at some point and was contemplating one as a carry gun (later on when i leave PRNJ) but a range gun for now. TBH, though, i never shot one not have i ever even held one.

As for what handguns ive shot, not too many i cant even remember which. Shot a 1911, the sig 2022 or whatever that was, a desert eagle i rented way back and a few others. Only one that feels right is the 1911 but like you guys said, a 45 isnt exactly the greatest carry gun, haha. Im going to go up to easton heritage to hold and then test fire some stuff, i think. If i find something i like ill just pay and wait a month for my p2p. Trying to pick up a handgun or 2 more before i move rather than rifles because in the real USA there are much nicer, cheaper toys available. Handguns will be the same.

Hopefully i can get out before the new governor is elected, because thats probably when NJs interpretation of the 2A goes to shit (worse than now).

Where are you located?  Maybe meet up with some forum members and try out what they have...

As for what handguns ive shot, not too many i cant even remember which. Shot a 1911, the sig 2022 or whatever that was, a desert eagle i rented way back and a few others. Only one that feels right is the 1911 but like you guys said, a 45 isnt exactly the greatest carry gun, haha. Im going to go up to easton heritage to hold and then test fire some stuff, i think. If i find something i like ill just pay and wait a couple months for my p2p. Trying to pick up a handgun or 2 more before i move rather than rifles because in the real USA there are much nicer, cheaper toys available. Handguns will be the same.

^Fixed for you and yes go to your LGS to hold and rent some if you can - I would rent in Easton or another good rental range but if you are going to buy I don't know what Heritage Guild does but I wouldn't buy in PA and have to pay an FFL transfer fee - I'm sure they could direct you to inventory in their Jersey stores or maybe just send over there for you to take delivery and no fee since its one of their stores -

Agreed on the rifles, I am itching to get a nice AR but my wife and I most likely will be moving to the bathroom capital of the USA before CC gets out, we were looking to get out anyway but now at least I have a deadline - I wanted Texas but NC is a decent compromise - and in the real USA you can get good old 30 round mags and non neutered stocks and barrels and I'm sure a ton of options so I'll probably buy AR's when I get out of this state.

A small revolver is also a good choice, nothing wrong with a good wheelgun.

4 weeks here in Woodbridge NJ for Initial FID and my first p2p. Knock on wood hopefully no delays this time either haha.

Yeah that was my thought too. Why drop 1000+ on more NJ compliant rifles that will be practically worthless anywhere else? If things change ill rethink that but for now im fairly set on staying away from additional rifles.. rather stock up on ammo for this upcoming shortage :|

Heritage easton will ship guns to the nj store at no charge I believe. That said go to ttc, Middlebrook or Jim Flynn and save yourself $100-200.

Just post what day you are going to the range and I'm sure members on here will join you

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 weeks here in Woodbridge NJ for Initial FID and my first p2p. Knock on wood hopefully no delays this time either haha.

Yeah that was my thought too. Why drop 1000+ on more NJ compliant rifles that will be practically worthless anywhere else? If things change ill rethink that but for now im fairly set on staying away from additional rifles.. rather stock up on ammo for this upcoming shortage :|

If you get an AR with a 14.5" barrel, you'll have to have a muzzle device pinned on anyway to bring it to 16" (unless you're going SBR)...  Stock pinning/unpinning or changing can be done very easily.

Heritage easton will ship guns to the nj store at no charge I believe. That said go to ttc, Middlebrook or Jim Flynn and save yourself $100-200.

Just post what day you are going to the range and I'm sure members on here will join you

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

^This - Heritage go for it for the selection but go to one of the other FFL's mentioned to actually get a good price on your purchase.  HG is outrageously expensive

I'm surprised no one recommended trying either the PPQ or VP9 with the smaller grip panels installed. For reference, I comfortably handle a 92FS and enjoy the PPQ and VP9 with the medium grips, so perhaps the small grips would fit you well.

beretta 92fs compact, single stack,

That's a rather coveted & hard-to-find selection, but a good recommendation if you're able to track one down.

If you're tempted down that route, try also finding an older 92FS Vertec

beretta 92fs compact thin gripped? (or single stack for that matter?) i thought they were double stack?

He was referring to the old Type M. No accessory rail either, which made it even nicer for carry.

http://www.gunnuts.net/2014/03/05/90-second-gun-reviews-beretta-92fs-compact-type-m/

Same boat with smaller hands. I love my Walther PPQ. Gen 4 Glock 19 fits nicely as well. I have a Springfield XD subcompact in 9mm for a carry gun. I have the pinky extenders on the mags so you can grip it well with one hand if need be. When funds allow, it will be replaced with a Springfield XDm Compact. Same size frame as the Subcompact XD, but it has a more ergonomic grip and a 3.8" barrel vs the 3" on the XD.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/xdm-compact-9mm/