lhrocker

Next caliber up for target shooting

I've been shooting for over a year now.  I have currently have 2 .22LR and 2 .223/5.56.  I mainly target shoot out to 100 yards but would like to go further (200 - 300).  What would be the next suggested caliber to move to?  Would you go up to a .308 or stay rimfire with 1HMR/22 mag?  I'm in not rush as I'm still shooting about 1.5 moa at 50 yards.

Thanx - Pete

try your .223 before getting into a new caliber. if your looking for some really long range calibers, go for a 6.5 Creedmoore. The Ruger Precision Rifle has been getting some great reviews. It will do the job for 100 yards till 1000+ yards.  

But then again, heck buy - buy - buy what ever you want.

Thanx for all of the suggestions.  I was thinking .308, either heavy barrel or AT pattern.  Not in a rush as I'd like to get good with what I have before moving forward.  A larger caliber will make seeing the bullet holes easier, I hope.

Ihrocker. 223 2-3-400-500 yard. Youre good. If youre shooting 1.5 moa at 50 yards. Somethings wrong. Thats a 3 moa rifle. You best work on your trigger control or you got a problem with your rifle. Even the shittiest rifle should hit 1.5-2 moa. A larger caliber wont help you if your moa is that off

Ihrocker. 223 2-3-400-500 yard. Youre good. If youre shooting 1.5 moa at 50 yards. Somethings wrong. Thats a 3 moa rifle. You best work on your trigger control or you got a problem with your rifle. Even the shittiest rifle should hit 1.5-2 moa. A larger caliber wont help you if your moa is that off

The 1.5 moa is me and not the rifle.  I just started going more often and am getting better.

What is a good caliber for someone that doesn't reload to go out to say 800 or so. .308 still the way to go for proce/availibility?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

6.5 Creedmoor.  There are plenty of factory loadings already available with some great bullets.  I've shot the factory 120 and 140 amax loads which were more accurate than I and I'll be shooting the 140 ELD factory load later this week alongside my 130gr Hybrid handloads.  I've found that my Hybrid loading is more consistent (about half the variation of factory) but that hasn't translated into tangible benefit yet as I'm the weak link.  You could certainly go with .308 at that range without issue but your adjustments would be greater.

1.5" at 50 would be 3moa. A 1.5 MOA at 50 would still be 1.5 MOA at 100

6.5 Creedmoor. There are plenty of factory loadings already available with some great bullets. I've shot the factory 120 and 140 amax loads which were more accurate than I and I'll be shooting the 140 ELD factory load later this week alongside my 130gr Hybrid handloads. I've found that my Hybrid loading is more consistent (about half the variation of factory) but that hasn't translated into tangible benefit yet as I'm the weak link. You could certainly go with .308 at that range without issue but your adjustments would be greater.

Interesting. I just read th a that factory ammo for match can be less for 6.5. Is this your experience?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk