Sign in to follow this  
n4p226r

Higher end optics and shooting to 1000yards

I know just about nothing about magnified optics. But I want to put together a nice bolt action. I prefer to overbuy equipment that grossly exaggerated my needs and underperform my ability to use it.

So let's say my base rifle is a GA precision HRT in 308 and I want to shoot up to 1000 yards. (More likely would be a blueprinted Remington 700).

How much magnification is needed for 1000yards? 1 mile?

Where does an optic like the nightforce nxs 3.5-15x50 f1 fit in on the spectrum of good glass to junk?

• Like 1

I was out shooting to 1000 on Saturday. I had a bolt .308 and a Larue OBR .308 with me. The bolt has a NF 5x25 and the Larue has the 3.5 x 15. With either you will be able to see the target (depending on size of course) but with my old eyes I need the extra magnification for target ID. You can always dial back from the higher, but not the reverse. Also if you are looking to shoot distance look into the 6.5 calibers, much better at wind and distance deflection. Just my 2 cents....

I prefer to overbuy equipment that grossly exaggerated my needs and underperform my ability to use it.

I find your ideas intriguing and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter!

:rofl:

I don't shoot long range, rarely over 100 yards - occasionally out to 300, so I am not much help here. But, I wanted to say that this sentence is awesome, and I agree 100%!

• Like 2

I find your ideas intriguing and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter!

:rofl:

I don't shoot long range, rarely over 100 yards - occasionally out to 300, so I am not much help here. But, I wanted to say that this sentence is awesome, and I agree 100%!

Thanks. You should see my collection of holsters. Don't ask me how often I carry

I was out shooting to 1000 on Saturday. I had a bolt .308 and a Larue OBR .308 with me. The bolt has a NF 5x25 and the Larue has the 3.5 x 15. With either you will be able to see the target (depending on size of course) but with my old eyes I need the extra magnification for target ID. You can always dial back from the higher, but not the reverse. Also if you are looking to shoot distance look into the 6.5 calibers, much better at wind and distance deflection. Just my 2 cents....

Where do you shoot to 1000? My main reason for thinking 308 is that I don't reload.

Where he shoots to 1k may be a bit of a road trip for you as he is in Fla. NF is good glass. If I were going NF F1 it would be this one:

http://nightforceoptics.com/beast

As for 6.5 I think Creedmoor is the way to go in 6.5's if you don't reload. I agree with Jimmy's statements about the 6.5's ballistic advantages, BUT one may consider the other side of that coin. Are you trying to compete? You will still learn everything you need to with a 308 without needing to replace the barrel as frequently as you will on a 6.5. If the cost of a re-barrel is of no consequence to you, then 6.5 is likely the right choice.

I like to think of barrel life in terms of ammo spend to bring it into perspective.

308 - conservatively 8000 rounds - $12,000 in ammo

6.5 - conservatively 1500 rounds - $2250 in ammo

Two questions and a suggestion.

What kind of targets will you be shooting

at?

Steel or Paper?

I shot the 2015 Mid Atlantic Long Range Championships (1,000 yards )with a Vortex Razor Gen II 3×18. The 10 Ring was 10". I would have prefered to have 27x but it was ok.

Shooting IDPA steel at that distance 14x to 18X will fine.

If you want a good scope with outstanding support get a Vortex Razor Gen II 8X27. You will love it.

Suggestion:

If you shoot at a 1k yards with a .308 make sure to get a 20MOA rizer for your scope.

As  Shane stated I am in Fl now. The main advantage to a FFP scope over a 2nd FP is if you are ranging with it. I use a 2nd FP NF ATACR 5x25 and love the glass. I have also heard great things about the Vortex 4.5x27 but have not got my hands on one to try. 

Zombies???

I don't really know of any place to shoot steel or paper at that distance. I'd prefer to shoot steel.

Here you go:

http://readerange.org/

http://bville-rifle-pistol.org/

http://www.mifflincosportsmens.com/membership.htm

All these places have a 1,000 Range.

In addition , the Peacemaker Range in West Virginia has open steel shoots out to 1K Yards several times a year on Fridays and Saturdays. Check their Web Site for dates.

if you live in NJ and want to shoot at  1K you need to travel!!  :(

I have a feeling with 6.5 I'd have to rebarr a few times before I was even a good shot. I've never shot past 100. And never for precision.

Here is some reading material for you.

Long-Range Precision Rifle -Cirincione II, Anthony

http://www.amazon.com/Long-Range-Precision-Rifle-Anthony-Cirincione/dp/1610048695?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01

Long Range Shooting Handbook -Cleckner, Ryan M

http://www.amazon.com/Long-Range-Shooting-Handbook-Cleckner/dp/151865472X?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01

If you hate reading , videos are available:

Magpul Art of Precision Rifle DVD (Set of 5 discs)

http://www.amazon.com/Magpul-Art-Precision-Rifle-discs/dp/B007138TL6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

I have the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP MOA scope on my 6.5 and I don't think you can beat it for the price. They can be had on Amazon for under a G with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Viper-PST-6-24x50-Riflescope/dp/B00PSLF62I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP MOA scope on my 6.5 and I don't think you can beat it for the price. They can be had on Amazon for under a G with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Viper-PST-6-24x50-Riflescope/dp/B00PSLF62I

What about this one?  They make 6-24x50 as well.  FFP and it is available under a grand in most places.

http://info.sightron.com/Riflescopes/SIII-First-Focal-Plane/SIIISS624X50LRFFP-MH/

So about as far from their place in Naples as possible

Yeah, those guys are in my neck of the woods....very close to Georgia.  I'm on the northside of JAX.  

What about this one? They make 6-24x50 as well. FFP and it is available under a grand in most places.

http://info.sightron.com/Riflescopes/SIII-First-Focal-Plane/SIIISS624X50LRFFP-MH/

Heard of them, but no intel. I'd find it hard to believe they can beat Vortex with their great glass, customer service and warranty.

If you want to peep them, I have two Vipers. The 6-24x50 I mentioned and the 4-16x50.... Let me know we can go up to CR one morning during the week. Or just peep them here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a PST FFP it's real nice but I was just curious and was thinking about the 6-24x50 glass for my 300 win mag build.  Of course I'm happy to sample your wares at the range one morning too!  :)

• Like 1

I have a PST FFP it's real nice but I was just curious and was thinking about the 6-24x50 glass for my 300 win mag build. Of course I'm happy to sample your wares at the range one morning too! :)

No prob. Just let me know. Or if you want to check it out at the house, just stop by. I'm not far from WPR/GFH. Just off McBride. Either way is fine.

Obviously, the glass has to match the limits of the round as part of a system.  

As far as magnification, a variable power scope that goes from, say, 5-20 or 25x is what you want.  Anything higher and you'll wind up dialing up back due to mirage, etc.

If you want very high quality glass that is priced well, look into a Bushnell HDMR or Vortex Razor, gen I.  I run the Gen I Razor and IMO, its about as good as the Gen II (short of the extreme situations I.e. Low light) but about $1000 cheaper.  The Gen I is noticibly better than a Vortex PST.  Its all about light transmission and clarity, you just can't skimp here.

I prefer a FFP reticle too, for the reasons stated.

I shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor and it out performs a 308 by leaps and bounds past a few hundred yards.  Its not even close.  The factory ammo is ahout the same price as match 308 and very good.  Sub half Moa, in some guns. Barrel life for a Creedmoor is around 2500-3000 in my experience, compared to about 4000-5000 in 308.  Keep in mind, I'm referring to when groups start opening up and you get more frequent flyers, not "service life".

Obviously, the glass has to match the limits of the round as part of a system.  

As far as magnification, a variable power scope that goes from, say, 5-20 or 25x is what you want.  Anything higher and you'll wind up dialing up back due to mirage, etc.

If you want very high quality glass that is priced well, look into a Bushnell HDMR or Vortex Razor, gen I.  I run the Gen I Razor and IMO, its about as good as the Gen II (short of the extreme situations I.e. Low light) but about $1000 cheaper.  The Gen I is noticibly better than a Vortex PST.  Its all about light transmission and clarity, you just can't skimp here.

I prefer a FFP reticle too, for the reasons stated.

I shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor and it out performs a 308 by leaps and bounds past a few hundred yards.  Its not even close.  The factory ammo is ahout the same price as match 308 and very good.  Sub half Moa, in some guns. Barrel life for a Creedmoor is around 2500-3000 in my experience, compared to about 4000-5000 in 308.  Keep in mind, I'm referring to when groups start opening up and you get more frequent flyers, not "service life".

I've been researching a lot and I am probably going to get two G2DMR reticle Bushnell's.  One for my 300 Win Mag build and one for my 6mmAR.  I have a vortex PST on that I'll put on my AR10 and the 3.x9 firedot Leupold will go on my 6.8 and my 1-6 tactical Leupold from the 6.8 will go on my Wilson Combat SBR.

I've been researching a lot and I am probably going to get two G2DMR reticle Bushnell's.  One for my 300 Win Mag build and one for my 6mmAR.  I have a vortex PST on that I'll put on my AR10 and the 3.x9 firedot Leupold will go on my 6.8 and my 1-6 tactical Leupold from the 6.8 will go on my Wilson Combat SBR.

IMO, for long range, the Bushnell DMR 3.5-21 with G2 reticle should be plenty good.  I feel it is just a tiny bit below the top glass and unless you are competing in PRS, you'll never miss the minor differences.  Good bang for your buck.