Sign in to follow this  
Rob0115

Hornady LNL OAL Guage

I ordered one of these because I got tired of other methods of figuring out OAL on some handloads.  Anyone have any experiece with one?  I ordered Amazon same day so I'm getting it but curious if it makes the process of placing the bullet in the lands to figure out how long you'd like to load any easier?

Right now I either use candle smoke or a sharpie marker, neither of which is very scientific.  

Empty the chamber, close the bolt.

Stick a dowel from crown all the way down until it contacts breech. Make a mark with a razor on the dowel around the crown.

Pull out dowel.

Take a sized case with a bullet loosely seated in the neck and put it down the barrel until the bullet makes contact with the lands.

Insert dowel from crown again until it touches the bullet. Make another mark on the dowel.

Measure between the 2 marks, that's your max oal.

Subtract a few thousandths for stacking tolerances.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

I do it now with die or a sharpie marker and sized case.  I was hoping this was easier, I'll try it and return if it doesn't help.  

OK you guys....  I have one for every caliber....Take a properly sized case with the neck sized loose (so bullet can slip out w/ pressure)

Drill and tap the primer pocket and insert a screw.  Push the case in the chamber and slowly turn screw until you get "touch".