Went into their shop this morning permit ion pocket to purchase a handgun. Had a you lady ask me if I needed help. I asked her one question and then she walked away. Next to her was a young man doing some busy type of work straightening up the counter. He looked a little more professional so I thought. Waited a good ten minutes with this guy two feet from me. Never asked if he could help. Waited and waited, finally said to him..... you just lost a sale and walked out. NEVER TO RETURN!

I guess the gun business has created a bunch of snobs in the retail sector.

Good customer service is a lost art.  It is not a job everybody can do, but most think they can.  NJ has a terrible retail attitude problem. The owner, a member here,  is a known straight arrow, but again if it does not carry down to the staff on duty, that is a shame.  

I'm surprised RTSP is usually quite good.  I don't get there much because it's a bit of a trip and I'm trying to spend as much time in FL as possible.  However, last time through I was treated really well.  Sorry to hear about your experience but a few of their employees and one of the owner is on the board.  I am sure you can message them and let them know you weren't treated well.  

The owners are great but I know they have had issues with counter service posted on here before. My dad and I had gotten in an argument with one of the owners about a law and he went in the back and pulled up the statue and admitted he was wrong. I've never had a gun shop admit they did something wrong. I don't frequent there often since it's a drive but I've always had good service.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have no complaints so far - I inquired about a Blue Label purchase the other day and my email was returned within 12 hours and the young lady Becca who responded was very helpful - once I have my permit I plan on paying a visit to pick up my Glock

Pete is out of contact until Tuesday..... so will try and step up to the plate .....

I am a part-time Instructor at RTSP..... and although I do not have my Pink card and cannot sell the OP a gun..... if he wants to contact me.... I can make arrangements to make sure he is taken care of if he chooses to give RTSP another shot..... I will even meet him there if I can .... schedule permitting.... 

Troy

• Like 1

I have had good experiences at RTSP.  As to customer service, some people are naturally good at it and others have to be taught.

I've owned a business for almost 30 years and this stuff is a major peeve of mine. Even if an employee is busy he or she should ALWAYS greet a potential customer.   Even if it is to say, "Hi,  I'll be with you in a second after I finish this stuff."  Or even better, they should drop what they are doing to help the customer OR get someone who can.   Just this morning I was at the customer service desk at Home Depot waiting for 3-4 minutes while two employees talked about some merchandising or something else.  No, "I'll be right with you."  They just completely ignored me while they bantered about.

As to customer service, some people are naturally good at it and others have to be taught. Even if an employee is busy he or she should ALWAYS greet a potential customer.   Even if it is to say, "Hi,  I'll be with you in a second after I finish this stuff."  Or even better, they should drop what they are doing to help the customer OR get someone who can.   

THIS!!!!!!  So many doors close because of the lack of good business practice!

The owners are great but I know they have had issues with counter service posted on here before. My dad and I had gotten in an argument with one of the owners about a law and he went in the back and pulled up the statue and admitted he was wrong. I've never had a gun shop admit they did something wrong. I don't frequent there often since it's a drive but I've always had good service.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This would be my only complaint about RTSP, and I've otherwise have only said positive things.  I wanted to buy a 629 off them but they wouldn't do it because I have a FL DL, which is legal to use in NJ to purchase a firearm.  The fact that they didn't know the rules is acceptable, I was ok with it but they directed me to go down the block to DMV and get a state ID to come back and make the purchase--which is illegal.  I cannot have ID in two states but I can buy a pistol in NJ.  I even showed them the P2Ps that were dated after my D/L.  I tried to get them to look at 4473 but they recommended I break the law.  I am sure they didn't realize what they were instructing me to do but had I not known better I may've done it.  

Pete is out of contact until Tuesday..... so will try and step up to the plate .....

I am a part-time Instructor at RTSP..... and although I do not have my Pink card and cannot sell the OP a gun..... if he wants to contact me.... I can make arrangements to make sure he is taken care of if he chooses to give RTSP another shot..... I will even meet him there if I can .... schedule permitting.... 

Troy

This is good customer service.

Good customer service is a lost art.  It is not a job everybody can do, but most think they can.  NJ has a terrible retail attitude problem. The owner, a member here,  is a known straight arrow, but again if it does not carry down to the staff on duty, that is a shame.  

I agree. The owner, the people at the counter for the range, the RO's, and most of the people at the gun counter are all above and beyond friendly and helpful at RTSP. I had 1 experience where i had a permit in my hand and wanted to see an fnx .45 tactical there. The guy at the counter was pretty arrogant and rude and it cost them a sale that day. ive been back there and will go back there just will not deal with the same guy there. Im not sure if its because im younger they dont think im serious to buy or what but i had this issue at ottomanellis too, but thats a whole different story.

I am a member at RTSP, have purchased guns and accessories from them and have also used them as my FFL. I have always had very high quality professional service and attention from everyone I have dealt with, from the Owners and RSO's, to the counter staff. As both a gun range and gun retailer they get a fair amount of foot traffic on weekends and counter wait times may increase as a result.

I have two questions for the OP'r:

1. What was your question to the first person behind the sales counter?

2. Why did you not speak up to get the second counter person's attention, such as saying: "excuse me, could you please help me by answering some questions regarding a gun that I am considering purchasing...?"

To me, that would make more sense than just standing there waiting for the person to initiate anything and cuts down on wasted time. Put yourself in their shoes.... Is this guy just visually checking out the merchandise (window shopping), or is he serious about making a purchase? Don't expect these folks to be mind readers and try not to have such a short fuse in having your feelings hurt. Remember, we are in New Jersey after all and it is acceptable behavior to be direct..... [emoji6]

AVB-AMG
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Why is it that these days the first thing people seem to do when they are not happy with service is jump on the internet and tell the world.  Why not go to the manager or owner of a business first and try to get things fixed.  IF after that you still don't get satisfaction then the web is a good place to let others know.  I have bought many guns at RTSP and have NEVER had a situation like that.

• Like 2

Why is it that these days the first thing people seem to do when they are not happy with service is jump on the internet and tell the world. Why not go to the manager or owner of a business first and try to get things fixed. IF after that you still don't get satisfaction then the web is a good place to let others know. I have bought many guns at RTSP and have NEVER had a situation like that.

Pussificatin of America... People like this always bitch but rarely commend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Pussificatin of America... People like this always bitch but ratrly commend.

So true.  Just today I was at a picnic with the owner of the firm that did an HVAC job for me and I was telling him what a great job one of his guys did for me.  I explained that I like to do that when I can as I am sure all he hears is complaints.  He was very grateful.  A shame more people don't compliment good stuff and only like to bitch.

Complaints are common in all fields.

Law Enforcement

Restaurants

Gun Stores

Rarely does one take the time to give thanks or reviews.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

So true. Just today I was at a picnic with the owner of the firm that did an HVAC job for me and I was telling him what a great job one of his guys did for me. I explained that I like to do that when I can as I am sure all he hears is complaints. He was very grateful. A shame more people don't compliment good stuff and only like to bitch.

I was taught a long time ago by the president of my company in the mid 70's..... Never Reprimand without Commending.

You keep pissing down peoples necks, they will never work with you. Can you blame them?

The problem with the net today is it gives too many people a wall to hide behind with their alter egos. All mouths, no balls.

I am out of the woods and kind of clean, my tents still smell like heck, I am on my third load of laundry and my sleeping bag zipper is broken. That said, stop in and see me next week or please feel free to call. Everyone on this forum knows I am approachable and that I always strive to insure my customers are happy. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

• Like 3