Lambo2936

Need some Quick Help with some Questions; Trijicon TA01 w/ Reflex

Have the chance to buy a Trijicon TA01 with a reflex sight on it. Guy claims he is an ex-cop selling his personally owned trijicon that was on his work AR. The Sight looks like its in fairly good condition, and the price is right i would think. Only thing is, the reflex sight has a rounded top, NOT a bowed in top like the newer RMRs, meaning this sight is fairly old. Anyone know when they stopped making them that way? He says its at least 5-6 years old. I'm thinking twice that. Only reason i'm asking is because i'd be worried about the tritium being near end life. A few weeks ago, i was contemplating paying this much for just the sight, but if the thing is nearly dead i won't really bother as im not sure i have the dough right now. If you have any ideas, chime in ASAP because i dont want it to be sold out from under me, haha.

That appears to be a TA01NSN with the RMR. The front site post on the optic is the clue. Not that it really matters in this case.

The 1/2 life of Tritium is 12 years, meaning it will loose 50% of its brightness in that time.

I have several ACOGS, including a TA01NSN, and I wouldn't consider it a nighttime optic at all. The tritium lights up the reticle slightly in low light conditions, but it's hardly useful at night. Have always considered ACOGS as a daytime optic that would be useful at dusk, at best.

If it's a good price, buy it.

Personally, I would give no more than $700 for that combo, not knowing the history, and not having it in my hands to check out. Maybe less.

I will add to this that I do not like the ACOG/RMR combo. Kind of awkward for me to use.

If I want a combo of a red dot/ACOG, I will use a TA31F dual illuminated reticles and use the BAC. It works rather well.

I got a deal on a TA01NSN w/ Insight MRDS a few years back.

DT is right. If it's a good price, snag it. The 4x ACOG models, and the TA01 in particular, has some eye relief issues. Between that and the reticle, it is not regarded as the best of the ACOGS. That being said, I am happy with mine. I paid ~ $400 for it used.

MRDS/RMR etc above the ACOG is less than ideal. I took the MRDS off and put it on a work MP5. The holdovers and related chin-weld necessary to make it work was just atrocious.

Also, this model ACOG is not spec'ed for the BAC.

I finally got the serial number from the guy and will contact trijicon monday to find out the manufacture date and such. I can get it for around 650-675ish but would have to drive about 45 mins each way to pick it up. Depending on the age, i may not bother. I dont care for the rmr and planned on pulling it off anyways and throwing it on some other project. Otherwise ill wait until i find a nice one for around 600$.

Yeah, thats what im thinking, *IF* i buy it..
Not sure he'll still have it Monday. If he didn't take forever to get me the serial number, i'd have bought it at full price and picked it up friday after calling trijicon and making sure it isn't antique, but, on the phone he said " it's like 5 or 6 years old. At least. Probably more" or something along those lines.... He said he has the original case which should have the date on it, i would think, or at least the serial number, so he should have been able to get it for me on the spot. We'll find out Monday, i guess.

The manufacture date is not on the case, although the serial number is.

Even if the tritium is gone, it is still a fine optic. The crosshair illumination isn't bright in the first place, so don't expect much. You can see it in a dark room, but at that ambient light level, the optic itself isn't very useful unless you have NVS.

A couple of other clues to a real ACOG.

A real ACOG will always have "Made in USA" in raised text on the left side of the optic, and well as the 'Contains Tritium' warning.

It will also have "Trijicon ACOG" on the right hand side. It may have ACOG 4x32 on it, or it may have a bible verse. One of mine has the bible verse, I believe it's is my TA01NSN.

All ACOGS will have the serial number on the eyepiece and on the main body, stamped into the aluminum.

Obviously, the serial numbers should match.

As I said before, the tritium on a TA01 or TA01NSN will be very dim. To me, it doesn't make much difference if the lamp is dead, unless you plan on using it with NVS. At the point the lit reticle is useful, it's too dark to use the optic anyway.

This does not apply to the dual illumination models, as the reticle is useful through a much greater ambient light range.

post-2136-0-98256500-1465084512_thumb.jpeg

post-2136-0-21294700-1465084542_thumb.jpeg

post-2136-0-44011800-1465084556_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

To be clear, i don't really care for the tritium; but, if i am spending 700$ on a sight, i'd want to know it DOES function as it should, especially when i go to resell it. It takes a huge chunk out of the value if the tritium is shot, and for around 700$ i can buy a sight in better condition, minus the RMR, that IS properly functioning.

What do you think the older RMR is worth with the mount? Just wondering what i can snag for it if i buy it.

I don't know much about the RMR's, but I believe you could get $250 ish for it and the mount. That puts the ACOG in the $400 territory.

I would pay $400 for a TA01NSN with dead tritium. Like I say, that optic is a daytime optic anyway.

ACOG glass and durability are hard to beat.

If it were my $, I would find a dual illumination model. TA31, or whatever flavor you prefer. The fiber optic/tritium are, IMHO, so much better.

The BAC works with these, and with a little practice, you can use it much like a red dot for quick work at short range