Sign in to follow this  
BryanRT360

help with barrel choice

Looking for a 18" fluted or dimpled.  

I like these 2.  Any feedback on them? A bit pricey, so I'm open to recommendations

http://faxonfirearms.com/18-flame-fluted-5-56-nato-rifle-length-416-r-stainless-steel-qpq/

http://www.shop.dezarms.com/product.sc;jsessionid=F1894AD615E5C187F022492588092115.m1plqscsfapp06?productId=190

Second one is not threaded, a plus (I guess)

The first one looks like a Slim Jim.  Too bad the Macho Man is dead, he could be the perfect spokesman.   The second looks like an end mill.

If you're going to pick one of those two, pick the one that looks the most like your lower.  I will say that I'm partial to big fat bright stainless bull barrels.

The first one looks like a Slim Jim.  Too bad the Macho Man is dead, he could be the perfect spokesman.   The second looks like an end mill.

If you're going to pick one of those two, pick the one that looks the most like your lower.  I will say that I'm partial to big fat bright stainless bull barrels.

O yeah!

Faxon makes good barrels for the money. Black Hole Weaponry makes excellent barrels and so does White Oak.

Thanks 

What's this gun being built for? Plinking? Range toy? 3 gun? shtf, HD.

I'm not exactly sure. Lol   I wanted to do another build. At first it was gonna be a cheap as possible, but that went out the window..   I already have 2 AR's with 16" barrels. RRA Hbar/1:9/free float, and a 6920  colt. Also have a 9mm AR.   

This will be going on a Aero lower and enhanced upper and a 15" free float handguard.    

O yeah!

Thanks 

I'm not exactly sure. Lol   I wanted to do another build. At first it was gonna be a cheap as possible, but that went out the window..   I already have 2 AR's with 16" barrels. RRA Hbar/1:9/free float, and a 6920  colt. Also have a 9mm AR.   

This will be going on a Aero lower and enhanced upper and a 15" free float handguard.    

You might want to figure that out first.  Faxon makes good stuff as does Battle Arms Development, Black Hole, etc.  But the type of barrel and the brand depend a lot on what you intend to do w/ the rifle.  

For instance if you're shooting mostly 55gn, go with a 1:8 or 1:9 twist. That will already limit your choices.   Just work down the selection process like that.

You might want to figure that out first.  Faxon makes good stuff as does Battle Arms Development, Black Hole, etc.  But the type of barrel and the brand depend a lot on what you intend to do w/ the rifle.  

For instance if you're shooting mostly 55gn, go with a 1:8 or 1:9 twist. That will already limit your choices.   Just work down the selection process like that.

I was definitely thinking 1:8 in either wylde or NATO chamber..  want to shoot sub moa.  No threads preferred so I can change things up without cutting up a 80$ brake. I like the look of the twisted flutes or dimples (form over function in this case)  but it's not like you'll see much of it with a 15" handguard.  Will probably cerakote the barrel as well.

I just put the flame fluted barrel on my SPR build. Unfortunately I haven't gotten a chance to test it. I had reservations in the beginning about the weight compared to other spr barrels but the rep assured me this barrel was designed for this purpose And the flutes will do their job. I'll let you know if I take it out soon.

f5f8a50b74427e5624b37fbb9341fab5.jpgc21cfc17f2435132ecdac003a26fb373.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Cool

I just put the flame fluted barrel on my SPR build. Unfortunately I haven't gotten a chance to test it. I had reservations in the beginning about the weight compared to other spr barrels but the rep assured me this barrel was designed for this purpose And the flutes will do their job. I'll let you know if I take it out soon.
f5f8a50b74427e5624b37fbb9341fab5.jpgc21cfc17f2435132ecdac003a26fb373.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Cool, keep me posted.

It will look similar to yours when it's done.

IMAG0293_zpssjib7qtn.jpg

I decided on the faxon 18" flame fluted..  waiting a a few more parts and than I'll slap it all together.

I'm now looking for some opinions on the color scheme.

Handguard, upper/lower are cerakoted FDE.

Stock, grip, buis, trigger guard is Foliage green.

I have a can of foliage green Duracoat,  and

I was thinking of coating the barrel/brake/gas block and all the small parts, mag release, bolt catch, safety, take-down etc.. also some color filling on the engravings.

Or should I leave all the fore mentioned as is, ie black.

IMAG0301_zpsrr4qy46p_edit_1466710708176_

So I went ahead and duracoat'd the fore mentioned parts( thanks for your opinions , or lack of...)

She's just about done,  just need to take my geissele SD3G trigger group from another gun and stick it in this one. 

I'm also waiting for my Aero lightweight scope mount to show up..  not sure which power scope I'm gonna use, I have a 3-9 and a 4-12 on hand.

Parts list:

Aero Precision gen 2 lower 

Aero Precision enhanced upper 

Aero Precision 15" handguard

Faxon 18"  5.56 1-8twist flame fluted barrel

Strike industries lower parts kit , w/ 60/90 ambi safety, enhanced bolt catch and Mag release

Aero Precision upper parts kit

Ds arms low pro gas block

Black Rain Ordnance nickel boron BCG

PA-m472 brake

Magpul foliage green: buis, fixed stock, pistol grip, trigger guard.

IMAG0305_zpsha34ge7u.jpg

IMAG0306_zpsdwkbrkbu.jpg

So I went ahead and duracoat'd the fore mentioned parts( thanks for your opinions , or lack of...)

She's just about done,  just need to take my geissele SD3G trigger group from another gun and stick it in this one. 

I'm also waiting for my Aero lightweight scope mount to show up..  not sure which power scope I'm gonna use, I have a 3-9 and a 4-12 on hand.

Parts list:

Aero Precision gen 2 lower 

Aero Precision enhanced upper 

Aero Precision 15" handguard

Faxon 18"  5.56 1-8twist flame fluted barrel

Strike industries lower parts kit , w/ 60/90 ambi safety, enhanced bolt catch and Mag release

Aero Precision upper parts kit

Ds arms low pro gas block

Black Rain Ordnance nickel boron BCG

PA-m472 brake

Magpul foliage green: buis, fixed stock, pistol grip, trigger guard.

IMAG0305_zpsha34ge7u.jpg

IMAG0306_zpsdwkbrkbu.jpg

The paint is still fresh in this pic.  I believe it will settle down a bit after it cures. I think the dust cover and Mag put it over the top..    If I end up really hating it I can swap some furniture around and make it all fde.

It looks a little better in this picture

IMAG0308_zps0a79avso.jpg

Do you think Olive drab would have been a better choice? Something else? I already have a black 6920 with FDE furniture. I wanted something different, guess I hit that nail on the head.LMAO

From a practical side, FDE or Olive drab was intended to blend in with the landscape. You know, camoflage. FDE is the polar opposite of Olive D.

Persoanlly, i would just paint the olive, black.