checko

Couple of JHP questions

First, are Glocks (g26 specifically) rated for +P ammo.  I checked the website FAQ and it says "maybe". 

Second, if +P is gtg, is it a good alternative to a standard JHP round?

I have some stock of Speer Gold Dot +P 124g JHP and Hornaday American Gunner 115g XTP JHP (basically the critical defense round)  I'm looking at 1220 fps for the former vs 1155 fps for the latter, in a 4 inch barrel.  Will the extra 65 fps make much of a terminal difference?

This will be used in the g26 and a PPQ

First, are Glocks (g26 specifically) rated for +P ammo.  I checked the website FAQ and it says "maybe". 

Second, if +P is gtg, is it a good alternative to a standard JHP round?

I have some stock of Speer Gold Dot +P 124g JHP and Hornaday American Gunner 115g XTP JHP (basically the critical defense round)  I'm looking at 1220 fps for the former vs 1155 fps for the latter, in a 4 inch barrel.  Will the extra 65 fps make much of a terminal difference?

This will be used in the g26 and a PPQ

The "maybe" is because they want all of the ammo to meet SAAMI, CIP, or NATO standards.

+P JHP is an excellent carry round. Why wouldn't you want all of the performance you can get as long as it is safe to use?

Yeah, but you are only gaining 150 fps using a +P in a longer barrel and maybe 50 fps in the G26. That's not much in a round that's already doing 1100fps. I have no doubts the 26 will not be able to handle the +P. +P is usually a little more expensive than std Vel or NATO ammo. Not worth the cost IMO. If you look at the chart published by Speer you will see hardly any difference in performance between the std 124 JHP and the +P.

I'm not a fan of +P with the exception of 38 spl in K frame.

Yeah, but you are only gaining 150 fps using a +P in a longer barrel and maybe 50 fps in the G26. That's not much in a round that's already doing 1100fps. I have no doubts the 26 will not be able to handle the +P. +P is usually a little more expensive than std Vel or NATO ammo. Not worth the cost IMO. If you look at the chart published by Speer you will see hardly any difference in performance between the std 124 JHP and the +P.

I'm not a fan of +P with the exception of 38 spl in K frame.

I think you meant that it WILL handle +P right?  Like I said I already have 300 or so rounds in the +P so purchasing isnt an issue (got it when I bought the glock)  So its pretty much good to use but probably not the extra cost if I were to buy more. 

The "maybe" is because they want all of the ammo to meet SAAMI, CIP, or NATO standards.

+P JHP is an excellent carry round. Why wouldn't you want all of the performance you can get as long as it is safe to use?

Because of recoil.  G26s are the most difficult 9mm Glock to control so running the hottest ammo through it will result in an even more difficult pistol.  That being said, my G26 has 124gr +p HST running through it.

I think you meant that it WILL handle +P right?  Like I said I already have 300 or so rounds in the +P so purchasing isnt an issue (got it when I bought the glock)  So its pretty much good to use but probably not the extra cost if I were to buy more.

You are correct. Glock 9s will handle +P IMO. However, I don't think you're really getting much out of +P 9mm.

It's useful for barrier blind heavy-for-caliber 147s.

I don't know about that. I haven't fired it into gel but I have fired 147 and 147 +P through a chrono. The +P was about 50 fps faster (975 vs 925 in a G26). Do the math and that winds up a whopping 13 ft/lbs more of energy. I dont think thats going to make it a superior penetrating round. The std 147 is about 280 ft/lbs.